Which AT&T Apps are free to use?

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Since AT&T apps are preinstalled on this phone, which ones are free to use meaning no monthly subscriptions. I don't want to randomly open up an app and play around with it and end up having to pay... >.<

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Since AT&T apps are preinstalled on this phone, which ones are free to use meaning no monthly subscriptions. I don't want to randomly open up an app and play around with it and end up having to pay... >.<

All of them will tell you about the extra service charges. Unless you quickly start skipping the prompts and not read them you'll be fine. The AT&T navigation, the FamilyMap, the their TV app. Their scanner app is actually pretty good that one is actually free. Of course they all use data.

Last edited:

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
All of them will tell you about the extra service charges. Unless you quickly start skipping the prompts and not read them you'll be fine. The AT&T navigation, the FamilyMap, the their TV app. Their scanner app is actually pretty good that one is actually free. Of course they all use data.

What are some good navigation programs? I used Navigon on my iPhone and loved it.

I think I'll remove all the bloatware except the scanner app then.

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What are some good navigation programs? I used Navigon on my iPhone and loved it.

I think I'll remove all the bloatware except the scanner app then.

Just use the free Google Maps navigation built in. As far as paid ones I hope someone could chime in on that for Android.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
To remove the included apps, you have to be rooted. :) That is the same for every Android, not just the GSII.

Are you sure? From most review videos/reviews in general, they said that you can uninstall the bloatware from this phone in the settings. Unless I'm listening/reading something wrong.. :eek:

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
The test phones are rooted. :) Production GSIIs will be locked like every other phone.. So I guess the answer is Yes I am sure.

jemcmichael

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Every review I've read/ seen, say that AT&T is doing a great job listening to their customers and are now letting users remove most of the bloatware. Think you're wrong on this one, which is a good thing! :D

kevinchaos

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The test phones are rooted. :) Production GSIIs will be locked like every other phone.. So I guess the answer is Yes I am sure.

Wow. Calm down. Have fun being so sure about something you're wrong about. The sprint version allows you to uninstall bloatware out of the box, and the AT&T version does too... So no, it's not the same for EVERY android phone.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
That's what I thought... After watching so many reviews, they all said AT&T listened to their customers and allowed them to uninstall the bloatware for this device.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Ya well I don't think we will be doing that. I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. If that happens then it will be a new standard. I have not seen one yet that would allow the removal of all the att apps from the app manager. That goes for beta, pre-release and production model phones. Now rooted with Titanium Backup is a different story.

Did ya'll watch the review videos? Not much fluff there and I doubt the remaining apps can be removed via the app manager.

Guess tomorrow will tell the story.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Ya well I don't think we will be doing that. I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. If that happens then it will be a new standard. I have not seen one yet that would allow the removal of all the att apps from the app manager. That goes for beta, pre-release and production model phones. Now rooted with Titanium Backup is a different story.

Did ya'll watch the review videos? Not much fluff there and I doubt the remaining apps can be removed via the app manager.

Guess tomorrow will tell the story.

You sir are wrong. I played with one today and could uninstall the bloat ware. Only reason I don't have it with me is Best Buy couldnt sell it yet. But at my local store it sits and waits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk