Swype 3.26 - any luck installing it?

jxbravo

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
the swype installer updated itself easily but it kept the 3.25 keyboard i had to uninstall the previous swype keyboard first and then run the installer again to install 3.26

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No. Uninstalled installer and keyboard 3 times, redownloaded everything. Get the new installer but it won't give me anything but 3.25.

Running rooted/Oxygen 2.3 so that could be an issue.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
No, I'm on 3.25 and it told me there's an upgrade. Question: are you on 3.25 yet? If not, maybe you have to upgrade to that one first and then to 3.26 after?

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
No. Uninstalled installer and keyboard 3 times, redownloaded everything. Get the new installer but it won't give me anything but 3.25.

Running rooted/Oxygen 2.3 so that could be an issue.

I am UNrooted, and I just uninstalled the old version and redownloaded what I thought was 3.26, and it still shows version 3.25 for me.

jp22382

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, got it working by editing /system/build.prop

Obviously you need to be rooted and be comfortable editing important files. **Make a backup**

Change the line:
ro.product.model=Nexus S 4G

To read:
ro.product.model=Nexus S

Reboot, run Swype Installer, and viola:

zkVll.png
YAjcf.png

Don't forget to go back in and change your build.prop back to the way it was.

Note, this version DOES NOT have the alternate skin available. So if you want that, best to stick with 3.25

I'm just glad I can delete the Swype Installer and forget about it :)

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, got it working by editing /system/build.prop

Obviously you need to be rooted and be comfortable editing important files. **Make a backup**

Change the line:
ro.product.model=Nexus S 4G

To read:
ro.product.model=Nexus S

Reboot, run Swype Installer, and viola:

Click to view quoted image
Click to view quoted image

Don't forget to go back in and change your build.prop back to the way it was.

Note, this version DOES NOT have the alternate skin available. So if you want that, best to stick with 3.25

I'm just glad I can delete the Swype Installer and forget about it :)

I figured it was going to come down to a build.prop edit.. That is what happened a while back too that it needed a quick build.prop edit to pass...

No biggie... Editing mine right now.

Bingo!

screenshot-1319160660860.png

Last edited:

jezer29

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Not for nothing but this is the kind of stuff I don't like about Android.. How can I be unrooted and be able to download the beta but to update the beta I have to be rooted?? For something so simple as an update smh.. What if I uninstall it and then install the new version, will that work? Cus I still have it in my downloads?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not for nothing but this is the kind of stuff I don't like about Android.. How can I be unrooted and be able to download the beta but to update the beta I have to be rooted?? For something so simple as an update smh.. What if I uninstall it and then install the new version, will that work? Cus I still have it in my downloads?

Uninstalling and re installing won't work... Its a device signature issue in the build.prop of the ROM.. Obviously a mistake was made because as of right now its only allowing " Nexus S" to install the 3.26 update. So by changing the build.prop from Nexus S4G to Nexus S we are "tricking" the setup.

alexepena

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
does anyone know how to remove some of the keys on the keyboard on swype? i never use the little hand gesture with the blue trail on the bottom left hand corner, its annoying, nor do i use the SPEAK icon.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74