When the RAZR gets ICS, can you delete VZW Bloatware?

stc85

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Question-

Currently have a BB Tour and I'm debating with the iPhone4s, Droid RAZR, or Galaxy Nexus for my next phone for the next 2 years or so. I'm not an Apple fanboy or Android fanboy, just looking for a phone that best suits me.

I don't like how the iPhone4s will be on a laggy 3G network compared to the RAZR & GN. Also find the phone to be kind of boring. I don't like how the RAZR is going to have the same VZW bloatware that I've had to deal with all my other phones. I don't care about VCast Videos, or VZW Navigator, or any of that crap. But it will be taking up space on the RAZR. I don't like how the GN will most definitely have the 'cheap' feel to it that all Samsung phones have.

The RAZR was the phone that caught my interest from the beginning though, love the ruggid/sturdy build. It has such a nice/sleek look as opposed to the Bionic which is one of the uglier phones I've seen. I like good builds, I like a solid screen, I like everything RAZR. But..when will it get ICS, and can you delete the bloatware once it gets ICS?

Thanks for the feedback!

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
No.

ICS is just the latest Google operating system. If you want to remove the bloat you would have to root the phone. The Bionic has already been rooted and people have removed the bloat.

I have the Bionic and I can tell you that I have about 180 applications and I'm not even close to filling the phone so the bloat is no big deal.

One thing you may be able to do is HIDE the bloat.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
No.

ICS is just the latest Google operating system. If you want to remove the bloat you would have to root the phone. The Bionic has already been rooted and people have removed the bloat.

I have the Bionic and I can tell you that I have about 180 applications and I'm not even close to filling the phone so the bloat is no big deal.

One thing you may be able to do is HIDE the bloat.

Not an entirely correct response. While you can't delete the app entirely, there is a feature in ICS to disable it. This hides it from the app drawer and prevents it from running. You can then choose to enable the app again if you want too.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I saw one of the videos where it showed the RAZR can hide applications running Gingerbread. That's good enough for me.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
But VCast and all that crap wasn't even on the orig. Droid which I'm replacing. . .didn't think it was on the smartphones. I'd say not to worry, I'm more concerned about MotoBlur which I have yet to experience. I'm not 16 years old, so I know I don't need it...but also am reluctant to root.

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
But VCast and all that crap wasn't even on the orig. Droid which I'm replacing. . .didn't think it was on the smartphones. I'd say not to worry, I'm more concerned about MotoBlur which I have yet to experience. I'm not 16 years old, so I know I don't need it...but also am reluctant to root.

What does MotoBlur have to do with a person's age?

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
OK, I'll be more clear. I'm not a FB'r, twit, or chitterchatterer where I need pics and updates of when my friends are taking a dump. I don't even push email...sometimes I like to be left alone! :) So Motoblur isn't for me...unless it's something much different than I imagined.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'll be more clear. I'm not a FB'r, twit, or chitterchatterer where I need pics and updates of when my friends are taking a dump. I don't even push email...sometimes I like to be left alone! :) So Motoblur isn't for me...unless it's something much different than I imagined.

It is much different than you imagined, if you're imaging it has anything to do with what you mentioned.

Motoblur (as it is commonly referred to) is just their "skin" or "user interface". They do have two widgets that pertain to social networking, but it is far from all about social networking.

When Motoblur originally came out, if I recall, it was ALL about social networking. That is not the case anymore. You won't even know what you're looking at is Motoblur, because it is just the way the phone works. Does that make sense?

Reactions: Zorro1

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Ah. Well, thanks. So it was about social networking, but now not, so that makes me more interested in seeing it. Worry for nuttin'. When it and the WebOS came out, it was like everyone in their target market was a teen/20 trying to stay connected. Some of us are more boring, in business, etc. and have an entirely different set of needs. Like security! I remember when Froyo first came out there was NO security. How dumb was that?

Thanks for your input.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, MotoBlur has come a LONG way since the Devour, though I wouldn't mind seeing another comercial with Megan Fox in a bubble bath...

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Oh ok. If that was your perception of MotoBlur, then I completely agree. I hate people and don't want to be bothered with all that social crap as well. Sometimes I wonder if I should have become a monk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tudi23