Disappointments abound with the EVO.

mightymouse68

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I really had high hopes for the EVO. The anticipation drove me crazy for at least a month. Now that I've had one for a few days, I feel foolish for being so excited. I love Android, but the EVO itself doesn't live up to the hype. The light leakage in the display, the less than stellar Wi-Fi reception, the FM tuner that can't seem to pick up a single station with my headset (Seriously, a headset as an antenna?), and the terrible video recording quality, are all negatives that make this phone feel like HTC used cheap internal parts. I'm not ready to leave the EVO just yet. However, if some software updates aren't forthcoming to improve some of the issues with this phone I will certainly be on the lookout for a new Android phone.

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
lol, what phones out there DON'T require a headset as an antenna for FM tuning? Yeah, the iPhone 4 supposedly won't... but it's not out yet.

As to terrible video recording... from what I've seen, it's far better quality than my videocamera which is only a few years old.

No offernse, but methinks your expectations are/were a little unrealistic.

trojandnc

May 13, 2010
Visit site
light leakage

wifi

fm tuner??? (who listens to commercial radio anymore?)

Video capture

Whit the 100's of features on the EVO, if these are the only 4 you can find then the phone is probably not as bad as you make it out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I must agree. For being a mobile device the Evo is rather stellar. But you cannot us high end shielded headphones for the radio. The Evo needs the signal leakage to use as an antenna. A standard set should do.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Its a phone. Return it for something better or deal with whatever perceived short comings there are.

Also why the hell do you need high end shielded ear buds for fm listening?

Last edited:

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
While theres a few things i dont really like AT THE MOMENT, as I came from an iPhone 3GS, its really not that big of an issue to make me want to go back to $98.00 a month service from AT&T that was riddled with dropped calls etc.

I dont have a light seepage issue
The wifi, yeah its alittle flakey
The FM Tuner..umm I had no intentions to use this as a radio lol
The video quality is fine with me

The major issue I do have atm isnt with the phone, but with Android market and its lack of really viable apps and or games from well known companies, like the Apple App Store. But im sure as more android headsets come out and its gains more momentum, more will jump on board.

The phone itself, it gets the job done and looks awesome to boot :D

beret9987

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your disappointment! The FM tuner isn't fantastic but in all honestly, internet radio has gotten so good that I only turned it on to try it out. Video recording quality isn't half bad too at 720p, you might check your settings on your camera?? I'm personally having an awesome time with the phone, but then again, my previous phone was a Pre and the build quality was total crap on that.

CBConsultation

Jun 7, 2010
www.cbconsultation.com
A2.2 [Froyo] has already been benchmarked on the EVO and Wi-Fi reception and speed have both been markedly improved upon.

Some early benchmarks show as much as 400% improvement!

Simply have some patience and when an updated ROM is let loose in the wild you'll have your chance to update and enjoy your new phone.

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I bought a special antenna on eBay, that won't pull a single station. But ever pair of headphones, iphone or other pulled stations. I even pulled a station from Indian Springs that no other radio besides my car can pull, which is saying something.

The only thing disappointing me is the 4G. I think my phone is faulty because other people in Vegas seem to have epic speeds, but I'm getting damn near dial up speeds. I still have to test it in a better area.

As for wifi.. it performs the same as every other wifi device I own, so perhaps not everyone has that problem.

I have no light seepage. This is the best phone I have personally ever seen visually both because of its size, and that it has a resolution sufficiently suited to its size. Every phone ever made will disappoint you if you don't manage your expectations. I suspect, beyond the light seepage issue some people have, that all issues are fixable. I just pray that this phone remains the flagship phone long enough for us to get priority on the updates. That or we get a full root. Viva El EVO!

Last edited:

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I really had high hopes for the EVO. The anticipation drove me crazy for at least a month. Now that I've had one for a few days, I feel foolish for being so excited. I love Android, but the EVO itself doesn't live up to the hype. The light leakage in the display, the less than stellar Wi-Fi reception, the FM tuner that can't seem to pick up a single station with my headset (Seriously, a headset as an antenna?), and the terrible video recording quality, are all negatives that make this phone feel like HTC used cheap internal parts. I'm not ready to leave the EVO just yet. However, if some software updates aren't forthcoming to improve some of the issues with this phone I will certainly be on the lookout for a new Android phone.

No light leakage on my EVO (get it replaced). Wi-Fi reception's poor signal seems to be a display issue (it's functioning as my Palm Pre and other phones and laptops did; speed is there, range is there). The FM radio hasn't given me the problem with the sensitive headset although it doesn't pick up some stations but it is not uncommon nowadays to use the headset as the antenna (Zune HD does it, for their HD radio too). Also, at least you have an FM radio, right? Not many phones will give you that. Finally, video recording is not as great as people thought it would be. But, honestly, whoever thought it would be that good (720P good) are simply oblivious. We are yeas away from getting that much performance out of something so small and thin. Sure, the Flip cameras and the like do it, but that's all they do. Their entire internals are dedicated to that and only that. I guarantee you the iPhone's will disappoint many as well. The EVO is still superior in recording than anything currently out, and that is a fact. I just hope they give us 30FPS recording with 720P soon (that can easily be done via a software update).

My $0.02...

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I posted my only disappointment yesterday and that was with asphalt 5. the game didn't play well so i uninstalled it.
no light leakage around capacative buttons; WiFi is fine everywhere in my house and outside as well; video looks pretty good to me (it's a phone); don't use the fm tuner (loaded about 10 gigs of my own music on an adata 16gb class 6 sd card). It doesn't matter how good a phone is some people will complain about something (as i did about asphalt 5) simple fact of the matter is you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time.
this is the first phone i've been extremely happy with since my treo 700p over 3 years ago.

Treo 300>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Samsung Instinct>Palm Pre>Evo 4g

Last edited:

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I hope you and your phone start to get along better soon but i just wanted to say one thing re the fm tuner, and i know this is silly - but i was actually a little annoyed that this feature was included at all...i know that's silly - but i HATE modern FM radio... the music stations are deplorable (F. you Clear Channel, what you have done to the music industry is an abomination) and any of the public radio or talk radio stations that i listen to stream or podcast... i think it's a neat feature but i could do without it...

although living in NC it will be nice during basketball season to be able to listen to Woody Durham on my phone... go tarheels!

aaron130

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
As far as video recording goes check your settings cuz I wasn't too happy either till I read to change the settings. By default the settings ARE NOT set to 720p so try changing it to 720 and see if u can tell the difference. I sure did. Hope this helps.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
" Im gonna return my phone because the FM radio doesnt work" wow! I bought this phone to use as a phone mostly. People are just way too picky. I could see if you bought a radio that didnt work but c'mon!

tkanavy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Did you really just say "disappointments abound". I am hoping you return your phone. It does not deserve to be in your ungrateful hands or held in your insanely critical gaze. Get an IPhone, I am sure it will blow your hair back. That statement is absurd. You should've read my last post it was meant for people like yourself.

android614

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Some people will buy anything

Why would anyone buy this phone? Extra for the privilege of owning it
Extra charge for Video chat. C"mon will anyone really use this?

People you have to power to send a message to Sprint and what you are telling them is that you will buy anything at any price. You people that bought into this hype have given up your right to bitch about any problems this phone has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootje