Some random observations after a few weeks with the one

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I picked it up about 3 weeks ago (just before they all started to see sale prices :( ). 32gb silver. I had previously used an HTC One X until the screen cracked, then I split time between that and a Motorola Atrix HD. Prior to the One X I had a Samsung Infuse.

- the buttons took about a day to get used to, don't even notice them now. I don't miss the atrix on screen buttons at all, though I do miss how they could sneak the menu button on the same row when needed. The on screen menu button has caused me issues in one app - I have this "big clock" app that simulates a clock that I use on my desktop or nightstand, I normally keep it pretty dim and the menu button is there with bright white dots. Oh well.

- Blinkfeed. Prior to getting the phone this was the feature I cared least about. I do a fair amount of facebook and google+, no twitter. I tried facebook home and cared not at all for it. However, since getting it I've found myself using blinkfeed more and more. It really is slick. It does need more sources (google+ isn't there, and would love to have custom RSS feeds). But it works amazingly well for me. It usually is what I check when I have a spare moment or two.

- battery life - compared to what I was used to with the One X or the Atrix HD, it is stellar. I used to frequently be below 10% worried about running out. I haven't had to worry once since i got this phone. I suspect part of that may be a better radio / antenna, as I used to get a spotty connection at work and it seems solid now, and I know that can impact battery life.

- the pysical stuff is fantastic, the screen just an nth degree better than the one x (not sure if it is twice as good, definitely reaching diminishing returns here). Much better than the atrix hd. I love the look and feel of the phone, though I did find it a little too slippery (may have just been nervousness about something happening after I cracked my last screen). I eventually broke down and threw a case on it (seidio surface black + kickstand). I like the case mostly (one annoyance, find the cutout for the power connector a tad "sharp", annoys my finger holding the phone), though its a shame to cover the phone.

- I still can't get over how good the speakers are.

- I like the zoes, but they are annoying with dropbox or other syncing applications. I read about some that can do this intelligently, need to set one up.

- the video highlights are great, but wish we had a little more control. Only being able to feature 13 items is limiting. Also need some more themes. I want at least one benny hill style "yakity sax" video highlight effects.

That's about it right now. Not interested in any s4/h1 wars, I love that phone too, just really happy with this one.

mcpricex

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with you, Blinkfeed has had a lot of bad press but whenyou actually use it it is a real surprise. Having a silky smooth interface helps.

Can't you dim the whole screen on your clock app?

Benny Hill highlights? I NEED that on my phone, HTC better get on it!