Transformer Prime - nursing student; I have it now what?

mycheriea

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Greetings everyone.

I'll begin by letting you know that I am way behind the technology curve, so keep that in mind here. I do not anticipate using this for watching movies, playing games, downloading music, or using facebook. I rarely use my cell phone, I do not text, and the phone I have is not even a smart phone!

I received the T101 as a Christmas gift. I did a little research the next day, and decided to exchange it for the T201 plus the keyboard. I have had the T201 and keyboard for a couple of weeks, but they are just sitting on my desk collecting dust, mainly because I do not know what to do with it.

I do not take enough notes in class to warrant typing them, and I do not do any of the previously mentioned things (watch movies, play games, download music, facebook, etc.) but I do see the value of having online access to textbooks, drug/lab guides, etc., rather than carrying a ton of books to clinicals.

I do realize that no one can decide what would work best for my situation; I am just wondering if anyone can clue me in on how I can put this thing to use for my purposes, or if there is a better option I should consider and/or exchange it for that would fit in my pocket. There is no point in having nearly $700.00 worth of technology collecting dust on my desk!

I will sincerely appreciate any ideas or suggestions you care to share.

Thank you.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you aren't going to use it for everything it's capable of doing, then why have it? If you only want something for books and medical apps, then you should have went with an iPad 2. (I know I'll get flamed) Really though, why have a race car if the only thing you do with it is drive to the store?

Reactions: mycheriea

mycheriea

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If you aren't going to use it for everything it's capable of doing, then why have it? If you only want something for books and medical apps, then you should have went with an iPad 2. (I know I'll get flamed) Really though, why have a race car if the only thing you do with it is drive to the store?

I will admit, I like having the "race car" because it's new, and it's shiny, and it's super cool to look at, but as you mentioned, if all I am going to do is drive to the store, what's the point!

That is why I posted, because I do not know about these gadgets and figured there would be numerous people here with an abundance of knowledge and information that they would be more than happy to share with me. :)

I appreciate your suggestion. Thank you.

phasertone

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
My wife is a nurse. I loaded up her ipad with medical references. She uses her tablet for Facebook, email, Skype, banking, for music & watching movies during travels. She's non-tech, too. You could do the same with your prime. Find a tech friend.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

zookman

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow, tons of us waiting like hungry dogs for a prime and you get one and a dock but doesn't know what to do with it. Sorry, just a little envious. I would just get to know other nurs. students that have tablets and see what they like to do on them. Researching on line, like your doing now, is a good start.

HyperSaurus

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm a recently graduated nursing student, with a Prime on the way and a Droid X phone. If you look around on the app store, there's various decent apps ideal for studying or look-up. There's epocrates, for instance. I have Davis's NCLEX-RN quiz app (costs 20$, but very helpful, even for school exams). That being said, I'm not sure how the davis app will work on the tablet compared to the phone. Look into getting the Kindle app or I think it comes with an e-book app to find books and textbooks to download. If you have the dock, it would be useful for taking notes in class (it has an office-suite), assuming laptops are permitted. Just some ideas.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
As a dental student I find it incredibly useful for studying on the train to and from school (or catching up on TV shows) as just a tablet, and then using the keyboard dock for typing notes in class (it's really easy to upload from any of the office-like apps to something like Dropbox, and then save that to my laptop later).

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If I was you first thing to do is return the TF-201 for the TF-101. There is no reason other than vanity for u to have the TF-201 over the TF-101. You will never make use of the difference between the two and when you learn or have a use for the benefits of the TF-201 there will be better devices and likely cheaper.

Just think you could have a device that does everything u will need just fine and even have enough left over to make a kindly donation that could feed some of the unemployed Americans.

just a thought

P.S. After reading that It kinda seems like I was saying ur a bad person but please don't take it that way. You might be a saint that donates millions each year. I am just not someone that assumes either way. ;)

Last edited:

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
while zedorda has a good suggestion, there's also the benefit of size/weight and future-proofing. while the latter might not be an issue for you (although sometimes it seems unavoidable), the reduced size and weight are a nice plus. also, it gets better battery life.

mycheriea

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My wife is a nurse. I loaded up her ipad with medical references. She uses her tablet for Facebook, email, Skype, banking, for music & watching movies during travels. She's non-tech, too. You could do the same with your prime. Find a tech friend.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

I guess part of the problem I had is that I don't do all those things other people do such as use Facebook, Skype, listen to music, or watch movies. Well, I listen to music and watch movies but I do them at home in the traditional way. :)

I returned the Prime today to Best Buy and they were trying to steer me to the Samsung player with the 5 inch screen. I did not buy it because I don't know anything about those either and wanted to look around online to see what I could find out about it, or anything similar before I made the purchase.

As much as I wanted to keep the Prime, I don't need it for class, and it is too big to be useful at clinicals, so keeping it made no sense for me.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. :)

mycheriea

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, tons of us waiting like hungry dogs for a prime and you get one and a dock but doesn't know what to do with it. Sorry, just a little envious. I would just get to know other nurs. students that have tablets and see what they like to do on them. Researching on line, like your doing now, is a good start.

There really is something wrong with that picture, isn't there? I just returned mine to Best Buy; if you hurry, you might be able to snatch it before they send it back! Just teasing. :)

I've decided to look for something smaller that will fit in my pocket since all I really think I will use it for is medical applications. Best Buy suggested the 5" Samsung player so I'm going to look around to see what I can find out about those, or something like that.

Thank you for your comments; I hope you get your Prime soon!

mycheriea

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a recently graduated nursing student, with a Prime on the way and a Droid X phone. If you look around on the app store, there's various decent apps ideal for studying or look-up. There's epocrates, for instance. I have Davis's NCLEX-RN quiz app (costs 20$, but very helpful, even for school exams). That being said, I'm not sure how the davis app will work on the tablet compared to the phone. Look into getting the Kindle app or I think it comes with an e-book app to find books and textbooks to download. If you have the dock, it would be useful for taking notes in class (it has an office-suite), assuming laptops are permitted. Just some ideas.

I have seen the Epocrates site, and Medscape, and a few others. I really do think it would be great to have access to those things in general, and specifically in clinicals. I had the tablet and the dock, but I returned them both today because I just did not think I would really use it, but I do think I would use something that will fit in my pocket so I on the hunt for something like that now.

Congratulations on graduating and thank you for sharing your insight! :)

mycheriea

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
As a dental student I find it incredibly useful for studying on the train to and from school (or catching up on TV shows) as just a tablet, and then using the keyboard dock for typing notes in class (it's really easy to upload from any of the office-like apps to something like Dropbox, and then save that to my laptop later).

I can see how it would be useful if you travel, but I drive to and from school, and that is about all I do. I ordered the keyboard thinking "that" would be how I could use the thing, typing class notes, but I don't take enough notes to justify keeping it and returned it today. I'm looking at something that will fit in my pocket that I can use at clinicals because that is all I can really see it being useful for, to me anyway. :)

On a side note - I have to do a "teaching project" for class and am thinking I will teach a group of children how to brush their teeth. Do you happen to know what the stuff is called that I can have them swish in their mouth after they brush their teeth that shows all the places they missed brushing?

Good luck in school, and I appreciate your ideas. :)

mycheriea

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If I was you first thing to do is return the TF-201 for the TF-101. There is no reason other than vanity for u to have the TF-201 over the TF-101. You will never make use of the difference between the two and when you learn or have a use for the benefits of the TF-201 there will be better devices and likely cheaper.

Just think you could have a device that does everything u will need just fine and even have enough left over to make a kindly donation that could feed some of the unemployed Americans.

just a thought

P.S. After reading that It kinda seems like I was saying ur a bad person but please don't take it that way. You might be a saint that donates millions each year. I am just not someone that assumes either way. ;)

I received the 101 as a Christmas gift; that is the only reason I had such an item in my possession. Heck, I didn't even know it existed before I unwrapped it! lol My friend thought it might be helpful for me in school.

The next day I decided to spend some time learning about them online because I didn't know anything about them which is when I saw the 201 was available and I decided to exchange the 101 for the 201 because there was only $100.00 difference. So in reality, I only paid $100.00 for it because the 101 was a gift, and while I still wasn't sure how I would use it, I did realize if I was going to use it for typing, the keyboard would be required because I definitely would not enjoy typing on the tablet screen. :)

However, after a great deal of internal debate, I returned them both today because I honestly did not see that I had the need for them or that I would really put them to good use, so am looking for something smaller that will fit in my pocket for use at clinicals.

I did not take offense from your comment about donating to the unemployed, and thought you might like to know that I am one of the unemployed after my last 3 jobs (where I had worked 10 years or more at each) were eliminated. That is when, at 50 years of age, I decided to go to Nursing school.

Thank you for contributing your ideas. :)

mycheriea

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
while zedorda has a good suggestion, there's also the benefit of size/weight and future-proofing. while the latter might not be an issue for you (although sometimes it seems unavoidable), the reduced size and weight are a nice plus. also, it gets better battery life.

When I read online that there was an "upgraded version" I will call it, the 201, even though I realized at the time that I wasn't quite sure what to do with the 101, it made no sense not to spend an extra hundred dollars for the 201 for the very reasons you mentioned! :)

However, I decided to return it today because I don't really need it and won't really use it and am now on the hunt for something that will fit in my pocket to use at clinicals.

Thank you for adding your comments and suggestions. :)

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I can see how it would be useful if you travel, but I drive to and from school, and that is about all I do. I ordered the keyboard thinking "that" would be how I could use the thing, typing class notes, but I don't take enough notes to justify keeping it and returned it today. I'm looking at something that will fit in my pocket that I can use at clinicals because that is all I can really see it being useful for, to me anyway. :)

On a side note - I have to do a "teaching project" for class and am thinking I will teach a group of children how to brush their teeth. Do you happen to know what the stuff is called that I can have them swish in their mouth after they brush their teeth that shows all the places they missed brushing?

Totally agree about using it while traveling. If I drove in, I'd have much less use for it (but I'm a sucker for this type of stuff and would talk myself into getting it anyway... haha). Something pocketable would be great - that Samsung Player is basically like a big Android version of an iPod touch, and something like the Samsung Galaxy note might be an attractive option as well, although it's being sold as a phone so you'd either have to get it on contract or pay an inflated off-contract price. Not sure a 7" tablet would be the right size, but Asus is coming out with a 7" version of the Prime for $250. There isn't a better deal than that right now, in my opinion. Just a matter of waiting until the thing actually comes out.

I think that's a great idea for a teaching project! I spent a year working in a public health department of a dental school between undergrad and dental school and classroom education in different elementary schools around the city was part of our job. It was a lot of fun! What you mentioned is plaque disclosing solution (or tablets).

Thanks - good luck to you too!

END

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I think it is called plaque disclosing liquid.

:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak