Trouble with Kies Mini? Read Here.

Cranky

Professional
May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having problems with this. After the Odin process, my phone reboots and this error appears (in this exact way)

E:failed to mount /dbdata (file exists)
E:copy_ddbata media: Can't mount /dbdata
your storage not prepared yet, please use UI men
u for format and reboot actions

Meida files copy failed.

For PIT: infuse.pit
For PDA: I997UCKL2-Homebinary.tar.md5
For PHONE: PHONE_UCKD5.tar.md5

Re-Partition was checked

Question: Just where in this post did you see to use a PIT file or PHONE file?

All you had to do as per instructions was to load the I997UCKL2 into the PDA slot.

Sugguest that you use GTG's Utimate Unbrick, per the instructions for it.

Then after rebooting, follow the correct instructions for installing the I997UCKL2 file.

ECDT

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Question: Just where in this post did you see to use a PIT file or PHONE file?

All you had to do as per instructions was to load the I997UCKL2 into the PDA slot.

Sugguest that you use GTG's Utimate Unbrick, per the instructions for it.

Then after rebooting, follow the correct instructions for installing the I997UCKL2 file.

Sorry about that. I assumed that I had to go through the GTG's Utimate Unbrick process to install gingerbread, but replace PDA_UCKD5.tar.md5 with I997UCKL2-Homebinary.tar.md5 instead. Yeah, you can tell I'm new at this lol. I just did what you said, and it all works great now. Thanks!

Rhamza

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Those of you wanting to know where to get GTG's ultimate unbrick for samsung infuse, I used this website. I am working on it right now, so we'll see if it works. I'll let you know how it works. I'm looking forward to getting the new Update!

jajohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Just trying to clarify instructions before I attempt the Odin method to update to GB (I am not an experienced techie).

1. Download GTG unbrick and unzip.
2. Download the "officiial" GB update MD5 file and copy to the unzipped GTG unbrick folder
3. Root phone (actually already did this a while ago using superoneclick.).
4. Put phone in USB debug mode
5. Start Odin 1.7
6. Verify com port shows up
7. Browse to GB update MD5 file for PDA slot in Odin
8. Browse to infuse.pit file for PIT slot in Odin
9. Browse to Check repartition box in Odin
10. Browse to phone.ukcd5.tar.md5 file for PHONE slot in Odin
11. Click START in Odin

Do I have it right?

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: c00l0ne

technomonk13

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Cranky!! This worked for me. I'm a geek, but some of these processes can be a bit bewildering to me. after trying the GTG unbrick method, only to have it tell me i was up to date (as others reported-at least kies did see it as registered finally, i guess), this method you explained to us got it done. now running GB 2.3.6. You have my gratitude for helping us out on this Cranky!!

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just trying to clarify instructions before I attempt the Odin method to update to GB (I am not an experienced techie).

2. Download the "officiial" GB update MD5 file and copy to the unzipped GTG unbrick folder
4. Put phone in USB debug mode
5. Start Odin 1.7
11. Click START in Odin

Do I have it right?

Thanks for the help.

Actually, All I did was use the steps for using GTG and go back to the previous version. Then put phone back in download mode, started up Odin. The only thing I did after starting Odin was click on PDA and opened the I997UCKL2 file. then clicked Start. No PIT or PHONE files needed. Leave them out. Also I noticed when updating to GB, the Re-Partition was not checked. Leave it unchecked. I just got done and I love my NEW phone!
FYI- My phone was never rooted.

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I too was having trouble with updating my phone after the November update. I followed the GTG Unbricker steps and reverted back to stock(October version). I then tried to update to GB using Odin but for some reason, it gave some errors. Well, after waiting and no progress......I pulled the cable. Of course my phone says "Dont turn off Target!!!". Well....... what the heck am I gonna do now? I turned it off. turned it back on and all I got was a white screen. Tried download mode, nothing but a white screen. So my only thought was to see if this unbricker really unbricks. It DOES! After redoing my phone, I opened Odin back up and placed the GB update in the PDA slot and SHAZZZZAAAMMMM! I'm gingerbreaded! You guys involved in this update proccess(and unbricking process) rock!

This is the first time I have EVER flashed a custom(official or unofficial) rom to any of my phones.
Do they have something similar for the Captivate?

Many thanks again!

jajohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the patience and help. Didn't bother to go back to stock using GTG unbrick (I had stock Froyo with the latest ATT update). Put phone in download mode, started Odin 1.7, put the GB update in PDA, and hit start. About 3 minutes later it finished and the phone rebooted. It took a LONG time for the phone to sort itself out (took forever to do scans etc) but now it is running GB flawlessly.

Now that I had this success, I am tempted to go back to stock Froyo using ultimate unbrick and load Zeus so I get the rooted version of GB.

You guys are really great in all of the expertise you have and your willingness to help other users.

BTW, I still get unregistered device in Kies Mini even after upgrading to GB (why I started this route in the first place) even though my phone shows registered on the Samsung site. Maybe this gives a little more insight into what the root problem is.

Another note, I did not have to reload or reset anything other than reregister with Amazon Marketplace using my email.

Rhamza

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Last night odin 1.7 was taking over 3 hours to perform the update so I left it running all night. When I woke up I found that my phone was a brick and not functioning at all. Tried a few things and it didn't work at all. So I unbricked it with odin after the third attempt and now Gingerbread is loaded and working! (after the 5 minute att splash screen went away)

karavanic

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help, Cranky. Unfortunately for me, the computer no longer recognizes my phone. Keeps saying, Failed to download drivers. Or will randomly say USB connection malfunctioned. I'm guessing this is why when i tried to go into download mode with odin I never saw the infuse com thing show up. I didn't see the infuse com thing show up afew days ago when i tried the gtg unbrick method. Pretty odd, it was connecting to kies mini yesterady and the day before. And all of a sudden it's a no go. I uninstalled kies and kies mini and reinstalled kies hoping this would help out, but no dice. :\

taxman, i had a similar issue and i found after twodays of installing and reinstalling software and drivers that it was a bad usb cable. Bothcables i used are samsung stockcables that came with phones,but one for some reason didn't work. After i swapped the cables my phone was recognized. Hope this helps.

Cranky

Professional
May 27, 2011
Visit site

4. Put phone in USB debug mode Put phone in download mode.
5. Start Odin 1.7
11. Click START in Odin

Do I have it right?

Thanks for the help.

Note above what I crossed out. Do not load Pit or Phone tar

No need to root. Put phone in download mode. Run Odin, phone should show up as com port, load md5 file into the pda slot, click start.

Make sure to back up contacts and messages if you want them saved. You'll also have to reinstall all of your apps.

Last edited:

scojo27

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Cranky I love you man! I after hours of pain and suffering and saying this i shouldn't to a computer. I have gb and it's shiny. Thank u sir :D