Nova Launcher???

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's a great launcher. Being able to back up settings/screens makes flashing a breeze b/c you can simply restore Nova after you do your Market Restore.

Reactions: Shasta1914

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Once you try it it's impossible to go back, at least in my experience. Try the free version first to wet your whistle.

You can add more screens, change the location of the home screen, add more "screens" to your dock, REMOVE THE GOOGLE SEARCH BAR, resize widgets, change the appearance of folders on your screen (grid, platform, circle, etc.), change animations of screen/app drawer swiping, and uses the classic Android widget menu (long press the screen and select "Widgets"), plus more. Plus, there's skins you can download from the Play Store to spruce up your stock icons. Plus you can back up everything.

And that's not everything. Here's what you really need to know: If you really like stock ICS launcher but want more freedom, Nova Launcher is the way to go. It's fast, light, and even more customizable than stock.

Reactions: Shasta1914

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It's also one of the few launchers that works well in tablet mode. The only thing I wish it had was vertical scrolling for the app drawer like ADW.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Nova is great, but before you buy the paid version you should check out Apex launcher - because with apex you get the gestures for free.

I happen to prefer nova, and have the paid version, but its worht checking out apex bc you might like it just as much or better, and save a little.

Sidenote - I have disabled the persistent google search bar and activate voice search with a swipe up gesture. It's awesome.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I didn't see anything special about Nova.
I tried it and went back to go launcher if only because it has a menu button.
Both go launcher and even the now abandoned launcher pro can backup and restore their setting.
They both have a scrollable dock with gestures and resizable Widgets.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Both go launcher and even the now abandoned launcher pro can backup and restore their setting.

Does Go have gestures? I haven't used Go in ages and completely forget.

zpithika

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I agree with you that go launcher adds more features, but nova is pretty damn close and I absolutely love having a close to stock experience. It is smooth as hell too. On gingerbread I used go launcher but nova is definitely the winner on ICS in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

shanedroid1

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm an apex user myself. Its smooth and has the needed features including gestures. I would say def give apex a shot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Apex is great but I've always had redraw issues on the home screens, and the app drawer will be sluggish from time to time. Nova seems to be smoother for me with my setup.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I have tried out almost every launcher but after experiencing lag with every 1 of them it was back to stock for me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Apex is okay, but what I like about Nova over Apex is the two finger gestures. I'm on Apex now, but I'm switching back to Nova. I miss my setup... two fingers swiped down opens my calculator, and two fingers swiped up opens Franco kernel app. I do like the double tap gesture in Apex, but not enough to keep it.

*customized tapatalk signature*

greyhd

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Apex is okay, but what I like about Nova over Apex is the two finger gestures. I'm on Apex now, but I'm switching back to Nova. I miss my setup... two fingers swiped down opens my calculator, and two fingers swiped up opens Franco kernel app. I do like the double tap gesture in Apex, but not enough to keep it.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Apex has gestures(One finger gestures) and the two finger gestures shows all the tabs on your phone on one screen.

Shasta1914

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and got the free version this morning. i've been playing with it and customizing it to my liking. I'll keep working with it until i decide to get the paid version. So far I like it a lot!! Thanks all for your input.