Evo 4g lte or samsung galaxy s3

danibal

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
So, I returned my LTEVO today to best buy so I can at least try the GS3 (not sure which one I'll eventually end up with, I just wanted to have an option) and I love when best buy screws up. I ended up getting my cash back, and then they also gave me the $50 gift card that was the promotion for the LTEVO back (pretty sure they weren't supposed to do that). I then used that gift card to preorder the GS3. Can't beat that.

pcsperson

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Exactly how many apps do you think it will take to "run out of space"? I've already loaded well over 100 apps onto my Evo and barely hit 600mb and that's before even transferring any apps to the 9gb storage. 2gb is plenty of space to fill your phone with more apps that anyone will ever need.

Sent from my ALL NEW HTC Evo 4G LTE!!

The 1 GB of space or so on the OG Evo, only let me install about 40 application. And with each update of the one application, that would lead to less space for the others. I am constantly suck with deciding whether to upgrade an app, knowing if I do I have to install another. Or just not receive and new emails from Gmail.

Also when you are trying to show the difference between iOS and Android, a lot of 'normal knowledge base users', people don't get different parations are for different part of an OS. They just see free space, and wonder why they cannot install anymore application.

I'm glad the software on this phone seems to remove that problem.

EvoTastic, Maybe your application are just smaller in size than the ones I use, whatever that case might be, the Galaxy S3 seems to excel in this area.

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the EVO LTE...keeping it. Reasons why I'M keeping it (I had the Epic Touch & Epic 4G previously)

*GPS locks near instant on my EVO.... Samsungs don't, mine didn't

*SLCD2 is crisper/sharper. i love the color pop of AMOLED but once you see SLCD2 beside it the AMOLED suddenly looks a bit fuzzy

*Specs are too close to be a factor

*Custom Rom support will be better on EVO, period. CR support on Samsungs has always been sparse...best you could hope for was CM or MIUI...and even then there was a real risk at bricking the phone. I learned the hard way as did many others.

*The large battery in the EVO makes removable batteries moot. Of all the smart phones i've owned (6 now) i have never had a separate battery and charger....my battery always stayed in the phone....i just chaged it whenever i could or had too :)

*Hardware aside it comes down to software. GS3 has some neat features, svoice and the eye tracking for screen on and off...but seriously, svoice has already been stripped out and i'm sure the rest will to so EVO will get that functionality i'm sure ;)

A couple things I disagree with.

*Custom ROM support should be better on the Galaxy III because it is on all major cell carriers, not just Sprint. Could be wrong, but we shall see. They have already said it won't be difficult to root so bricking shouldn't be a big concern as it may have been previously.

*Li-on batterys have a life of one year on average before they start to weaken. It's just a fast of the technology. Some people will get more than 12 months and soem will get less than 12 months of optimal batteyr performance. I don't want to have to exchange or send my phone in if the battery starts to suck. I much prefer to buy a new battery and exchange it for my current one.

The US version of the S3 will have the same CPU (dual-core Qualcomm MSM8960) & GPU (Adreno 225) as the Evo LTE. Supposedly the S3 will have more RAM, but we'll see how the US carriers manage to screw up their repsective models.

There is no suppsoedly, the SGIII will have 2GB of RAM. I don't think that is a big advantage because 1GB of RAM seems to be enough but as we move forward and new apps are released I think it helps future proof the phone somewhat.

I was told best buy isnt taking pre orders because samsung offering it to the carriers first.

you were told wrong...some BB locations are laready taking preorders and all will be doing it beginning tomorrow

Reactions: pcsperson

freeze26

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the EVO LTE thinking about changing to the SGIII but I am not sure if the removable battery and the 2g of ram are enough for to make the switch is there anyone else out there on the fence with me?

pcsperson

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the EVO LTE thinking about changing to the SGIII but I am not sure if the removable battery and the 2g of ram are enough for to make the switch is there anyone else out there on the fence with me?

I think the battery 4G LTE test ,will be a defining point, once we there are some city with LTE, where they can test the phones.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
In reference to Alex Dobie's recent review:

Speed:
In multithreaded situations, yes, the Galaxy SIII international will faster than the Evo LTE/One X. However, almost nothing in practical use, especially on a phone, will take advantage of that. *Maybe* a handful of very intense games, especially since the SIII's graphics coprocessor will be faster under most all situations.

In all other cases, which is what people will see and feel the most, the S4 processor's cores used in the Evo LTE/One X are faster. They are based on a better and more modern ARM and have more horsepower. Fewer faster cores for single-user, low-threading applications is always much better than more slower cores.

So- the statement Alex said "the Galaxy S III is the fastest Android phone money can buy" (twice) in the review, is not entirely accurate. The SIII's Exynos 4 CPU will be the fastest in some limited situations (with the GPU in more situations), but in more cases, it will be SLOWER than the S4 in the Evo LTE and One X. A perfect case of raw benchmarking designed to show multithreading power will simply not reflect real use situations.

In reality, it probably doesn't really matter. Both are very fast and certainly in the same class. And both are battery friendly.

In any case, the USA version of the GSIII will probably use the same CPU as the Evo LTE/One X... so all of this is moot :)

Battery:
I suspect the Evo LTE will win. But time will tell. Again, both will be very good. The SIII does have a removable battery, which is nice.

Screen:
Evo LTE wins

Size/Weight/RAM/Storage:
All identical, or very similar.

Camera:
Still a bit early to tell. Probably very similar.

Construction & Design:
I will give both to the Evo LTE. Feels extremely well built. Aluminum case, not white (ug), kickstand, silver bezel. Yum.

OS/UI:
Too soon to tell. Touchwiz really sucks, generally; but Sense seems to still be a bit bloated and the multitasking complications can be irritating. Bugs & updates- HTC historically has done a better job at fixing and pushing faster.

Radios:
Who knows

Memory:
If the articles are right, the USA SIII version will blow away the Evo LTE / One X by offering 2GB of RAM. It is unfortunate HTC didn't think ahead and put at least 1.5 in the EVO LTE. What this means for real-world use is, as of yet, undetermined, however.

Both are killer phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: nate735#AC

swazedahustla

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Speed:
In multithreaded situations, yes, the Galaxy SIII international will faster than the Evo LTE/One X. However, almost nothing in practical use, especially on a phone, will take advantage of that. *Maybe* a handful of very intense games, especially since the SIII's graphics coprocessor will be faster under most all situations.

In all other cases, which is what people will see and feel the most, the S4 processor's cores used in the Evo LTE/One X are faster. They are based on a better and more modern ARM and have more horsepower. Fewer faster cores for single-user, low-threading applications is always much better than more slower cores.

So- the statement Alex said "the Galaxy S III is the fastest Android phone money can buy" (twice) in the review, is not entirely accurate. The SIII's Exynos 4 CPU will be the fastest in some limited situations (with the GPU in more situations), but in more cases, it will be SLOWER than the S4 in the Evo LTE and One X. A perfect case of raw benchmarking designed to show multithreading power will simply not reflect real use situations.

In reality, it probably doesn't really matter. Both are very fast and certainly in the same class. And both are battery friendly.

In any case, the USA version of the GSIII will probably use the same CPU as the Evo LTE/One X... so all of this is moot :)

Battery:
I suspect the Evo LTE will win. But time will tell. Again, both will be very good. The SIII does have a removable battery, which is nice.

Screen:
Evo LTE wins

Size/Weight/RAM/Storage:

Camera:

Construction & Design:
I will give both to the Evo LTE. Feels extremely well built. Aluminum case, not white (ug), kickstand, silver bezel. Yum.

OS/UI:
Too soon to tell. Touchwiz really sucks, generally; but Sense seems to still be a bit bloated and the multitasking complications can be irritating. Bugs & updates- HTC historically has done a better job at fixing and pushing faster.

Radios:
Who knows

Memory:
If the articles are right, the USA SIII version will blow away the Evo LTE / One X by offering 2GB of RAM. It is unfortunate HTC didn't think ahead and put at least 1.5 in the EVO LTE. What this means for real-world use is, as of yet, undetermined, however.

Both are killer phones.

Just a food for thought about the 2 GB of RAM thing.........Have any of you looked at the size of the S/W stack of the new touchjizz?? It's huge, and couple that with Android 4.0 ICS and you have one HUGE ROM. So its no wonder the SGS3 has 2 GB of RAM, because if they tried to use 1 GB the thing would lag like hell. So for all those talking 2 GB of RAM is a game changer......you might want to wait till you get the phone and see how much is usuable after touchjizz and apps and everything else gets their share. You might not be so happy with what you find.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
On a phone, you'll probably honestly not be able to tell the difference between 1 and 2gb of ram, just like in a pc, after a point, you'll never see the difference...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just a food for thought about the 2 GB of RAM thing.........Have any of you looked at the size of the S/W stack of the new touchjizz?? It's huge, and couple that with Android 4.0 ICS and you have one HUGE ROM. So its no wonder the SGS3 has 2 GB of RAM, because if they tried to use 1 GB the thing would lag like hell. So for all those talking 2 GB of RAM is a game changer......you might want to wait till you get the phone and see how much is usuable after touchjizz and apps and everything else gets their share. You might not be so happy with what you find.

The size of the ROM does not necessarily relate to how much memory (RAM) the running system will use...

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
On a phone, you'll probably honestly not be able to tell the difference between 1 and 2gb of ram

Actually, we might very well, if the problem is that Sense is using too much memory or not managing it the way we want... this could be a core cause with the multitasking problems people have seen (and I have seen also).

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Interesting yet short article. Not sure I believe it. And even so, it might not be a valid test- depends on the video player being used and the codecs/bitrate being used....

*PLUS* the article is comparing to the INTERNATIONAL ONE X, which uses the Nvidia chip, which is NOT in the Evo LTE. So the comparison here is completely invalid, anyway.

Also, the GS3 has built in video hardware acceleration. I don't know if the One X does as well.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Also, the GS3 has built in video hardware acceleration. I don't know if the One X does as well.

It does, but maybe not for the same codecs, which is essentially what I was saying, above. I seriously doubt the USA G3 will have much longer battery life than the Evo LTE, if longer at all.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I am just too damn lazy to take this back even if I wanted to. Just the thought of setting everything up again.. ARG!!! i:Di

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I have the Evo LTE now and I'm loving it, I just pre-ordered the S3 for my wife and when it comes in the mail I'll do serious comparison and post real results here. I like many others really want to compare the Camera!

Reactions: Dazo

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Speed:

Battery:

Screen:
Evo LTE wins

Size/Weight/RAM/Storage:

Camera:

Construction & Design:

OS/UI:

Radios:
Who knows

Memory:

Both are killer phones.
Great video for Camera comparison between EVO LTE and SGS3
Samsung Galaxy S3 vs HTC One X Camera Test Comparison - HD video, zoom, macro mode - YouTube

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wacky23