Locking in unlimited data by pre-order may not be necessary?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I understand that VZ may be eliminating unlimited data for those "grandfathered" in, and that is the reason some are pre-ordering their SIII.

But, as a VZ rep told me, when they make such changes they would announce a date, not just change it overnight. So does it seem right, that if we wanted to test/hold/feel the phone first, we could wait until it appears in stores. OR, if a data change is announced before the release, we can then call to pre-order it, thus still keeping our unlimited data?

Am I missing something or does this sound right? (I know the issues about mis-informed reps, but this makes sense, doesn't it?)

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you could DO whatever you want. I think the vast majority of us who preordered mostly did it because we are very excited for this device. In fact, I believe I just read that Sprint ran out of 16GB white ones for preorder.

I would rather be safe than sorry (as far as data goes), but more importantly I want this phone ASAP!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: enik

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I would rather be safe than sorry (as far as data goes), but more importantly I want this phone ASAP!

That's a different story. I didn't mention that I meant the Verizon customers who are worried that they HAVE to pre order to keep their data plan. You can wait 'till the announcement then make your decision

Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I understand that VZ may be eliminating unlimited data for those "grandfathered" in, and that is the reason some are pre-ordering their SIII.

But, as a VZ rep told me, when they make such changes they would announce a date, not just change it overnight. So does it seem right, that if we wanted to test/hold/feel the phone first, we could wait until it appears in stores. OR, if a data change is announced before the release, we can then call to pre-order it, thus still keeping our unlimited data?

Am I missing something or does this sound right? (I know the issues about mis-informed reps, but this makes sense, doesn't it?)

I'm glad there are some people here that aren't panicking.

Verizon hasn't made amy further announcements about when the new data plan policy takes effect. They'll probably make an announcement detailing the exact policy and give a.date as to when it takes effect.

They haven't done that yet.

And until they do, upgrading by renewing still let's you keep your existing unlimited plan.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

SAHARAT

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I was told yesterday, by 2 different reps, that, as long as we have a 3g or 4g smart phone, and renew our contract, that we will continue to ALWAYS be grandfathered in to unlimited data....
I asked them both about the rumors of shared data on the new family plans, as well. They both said that all they have heard about it, is the same rumors that we all have heard..... I asked them other questions as well, and they both had basically the same answers....
Yea..... I trust them 100%...;) They did sound as if they were reading off of a script.... lol
Eh.... I guess we shall see.....

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I was told yesterday, by 2 different reps, that, as long as we have a 3g or 4g smart phone, and renew our contract, that we will continue to ALWAYS be grandfathered in to unlimited data....
I asked them both about the rumors of shared data on the new family plans, as well. They both said that all they have heard about it, is the same rumors that we all have heard..... I asked them other questions as well, and they both had basically the same answers....
Yea..... I trust them 100%...;) They did sound as if they were reading off of a script.... lol

The reps are somewhat wrong, there are actually Verizon press releases that speak to the fact that when the shared data goes online (sometime this summer), that you will no longer be able to use an upgrade and continue to retain unlimited data, however if you choose to pay full price for your device, you can retain it. There is no need to panic though, they have also said they will announce the change ahead of time, so customers can make a choice about how they will proceed.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

of course it's a script, those guys are playing it off as rumors when it was stated by one of Verizon's "chief executives" that this was going to happen by this summer. Once these plans take place, you will lose your unlimited plan when you renew. The only way to keep your unlimited plan is to buy phones at full price or on the open market.

With that being said, I will end up using my last upgrade on the S3.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That's a different story. I didn't mention that I meant the Verizon customers who are worried that they HAVE to pre order to keep their data plan. You can wait 'till the announcement then make your decision

Yeah, as I've said elsewhere, I don't see VZW suprising everyone with capped data all of a sudden. That's not the way they do things.

That said, I also don't see VZW getting any other phones more compelling prior to unlimited data being gone.

-Suntan

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
So just to be straight, when the shared data plan comes out if I want to switch to it my 2 yr commitment will get reset but my upgrade date will not?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
So just to be straight, when the shared data plan comes out if I want to switch to it my 2 yr commitment will get reset but my upgrade date will not?

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums
Can u restate that question ? I'm not sure what you mean.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
There is no need to panic though, they have also said they will announce the change ahead of time, so customers can make a choice about how they will proceed.

Yes, this is the key.

If you want to pre-order so you have your S3 in hand first,great. But you don't need to pre-order to keep your unlimited data. Just order before the policy change date, of which they will give us advanced notice

Reactions: Ry

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
how many of you are actually going over 2 gb a month?
and if you do .... do u use wifi at home ?

i dont go over 2gb , but i do switch to wifi at home and i do not stream a ton of music.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

i dont go over 2gb , but i do switch to wifi at home and i do not stream a ton of music.

I'm at 3.1GB with 10 days left in my billing cycle.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I was surprised to learn that I have not gone over 1gb, that said I was tired of my 3G phone and wanted to upgrade to 4G. The release of other high end phones is an unknown at this point, so I chose to go with the SIII. If there is something down the road that is a must have for me I will just sell the SIII.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the phone because it looks like a great phone. I bought full price and can't wait to get it. Glad that the rep said you could keep your unlimited data but it wouldn't surprise me if Verizon pulled a quick one on people shortly down the road. Most likely the new plans will come right before the iPhone just like they did all that before the iPhone 4

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I'm at about 10 gigs. And I've never turned on wifi, I don't think, in the 6 months I've had my Rezound.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm at about 10 gigs. And I've never turned on wifi, I don't think, in the 6 months I've had my Rezound.

10 gig .. holy S.... i always have my phone in my hand and i rarely break 1.5.... what are you doing ? (besides not using wifi to counteract 3g usage)

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
This is the logic that I've been operating on. Sure, you guarantee that you get the SIII and keep unlimited data by pre-ordering now, but Verizon will definitely announce a date before the change. Its not like we'll all wake up one day and its gone. The only risk is if they run out of preorders, then give a 2 week notice that goes into effect before the phone releases, or more preorders are available. Given the high profile of this device, I don't see them doing that.

I'm waiting to hear a date, and hoping that the Razr HD comes out before the switch as well. It's been "coming soon" much longer than the VZW version of the SIII, so it may drop before then as well. I have 2 upgrades available, and I'd prefer to burn one on a new Razr HD first, then get the SIII a few days later. As much as I prefer Samsung to Moto, from personal experience I can say I'd feel much better with having the extended warranty on a Samsung than a Moto, if I have to pick just one. ;)

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
10 gig .. holy S.... i always have my phone in my hand and i rarely break 1.5.... what are you doing ? (besides not using wifi to counteract 3g usage)

Well why would I turn on wifi? My home connection is 1.5 mbps, and I pretty routinely pull down 40mbps on LTE.
Streaming baseball games, downloading Sense 4 roms at 600mb a pop, I have dropbox setup to auto-upload photos, etc. It adds up quickly.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Well why would I turn on wifi? My home connection is 1.5 mbps, and I pretty routinely pull down 40mbps on LTE.
Streaming baseball games, downloading Sense 4 roms at 600mb a pop, I have dropbox setup to auto-upload photos, etc. It adds up quickly.

i use wifi whenever i can cause i have a 3g DINC and wifi is night and day for me. im interested to see what my usage is gonna be when i get 4g cause if its as good as its made out to be i will be streaming more stuff in more places. i still think 10 is alot :cool:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg