SIII Today, or Greener Pastures Tomorrow?

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
the S4 chip is based off of the same architecture as the A15, but it is not as big of a jump as the A15 will be. the real area where you'll see the difference, is the graphical processing. the S4 (while good), is still far behind the advantages of the new wave of chips.

am i the only one looking forward to quad core chips that are compatible with LTE radios? it's the best of both worlds :)

Trying not to look forward to it, since it will be 2 years until I get one. :confused: Probably longer than that actually, since I will probably have to pay full price to keep my unlimited data by then, if its even available...:'(

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
ouch. yeah. i am paying full price for my GSIII. my contact isn't up until the end of the year, and i'd rather spend that update to get the latest and greatest of next year, than spend the money to upgrade early just for the GSIII. it's a great phone, but not that great lol.

besides, maybe the iphone5 will shock everyone and actually innovate instead of imitate :p

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, there are rumors that Google will release (or announce) multiple Nexus devices (3 phones, 2 tablets) on Nov 5. One of them is sur eto be Samsung, and is also pretty much sure to inlcude an HD AMOLED+ display as well as the Exynos 5520

Do you know if the next Google Nexus will be available on contact for AT&T? I can't justify paying more than $200 for any smartphone and I usually keep them for over 2 years, so it only makes sense for me to buy a carrier subsidized phone.

Last edited:

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if the next Google Nexus will be available on contact for AT&T? I can't justify paying more than $200 for any smartphone and I usually keep them for over 2 years, so it only makes sense for me to buy a carrier subsidized phone.

Same here, I also buy subsidized phones. Although it would be cheaper to use a prepaid plan + off contract phone, esp when you factor in buying a used phone or selling it for cheap.

I'm sure the next Nexus phones will be available from carriers as well.

Merc25

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Right now the SIII is probably the best android phone available...if you have something like the Galaxy Nexus you can sit back and wait a while and see what is coming down the pipe. If i still had my Thunderbolt tho I would upgrade in a heartbeat. The Nexus's coming at the end of the year might not be a huge jump from the SIII anyway...the Galaxy Nexus was basically a variant of the SII last year and it very well could be the same this year. It really depends if they decide to release Nexus's with tried and true tech that is optimized to showcase the new Android OS or they decide to push the limits of available tech...my guess they will take the Galaxy Nexus approach again this year and nothing will be groundbreaking in this years Nexus roster.

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
LG Eclipse may be coming to Sprint and AT&T by Halloween -- Engadget

Big surprise: only a day after my "generational jump" post, this info comes out. Just like I've been suspecting, we will see quad-core Krait + Adreno 320 before the end of this year, and I'm also quite sure we will see dual-core cortex A15 Exynos + Mali T-604 (in tablets for sure, not sure if this combo will hit phones). So fall/winter of this year will finally bring in SoC combos that are finally generationally entirely ahead of 2011 phone tech. Just wanted to post this link as "proof" that the leap (vs. little steps) will take place in this year, and that that is at least one reason to pass on the GS3 or One X for a lot of people.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
LG Eclipse may be coming to Sprint and AT&T by Halloween -- Engadget

Big surprise: only a day after my "generational jump" post, this info comes out. Just like I've been suspecting, we will see quad-core Krait + Adreno 320 before the end of this year, and I'm also quite sure we will see dual-core cortex A15 Exynos + Mali T-604 (in tablets for sure, not sure if this combo will hit phones). So fall/winter of this year will finally bring in SoC combos that are finally generationally entirely ahead of 2011 phone tech. Just wanted to post this link as "proof" that the leap (vs. little steps) will take place in this year, and that that is at least one reason to pass on the GS3 or One X for a lot of people.

couldn't agree more. for those with the patience of saints, there's phones with stellar specs on the horizon, and they're coming sooner than people think.

oddly enough, android tablets hold little-to-no interest for for me at all. apple just has their feet planted far too solidly in that community. android may have the most powerful tablets, but it means nothing if no developers jump on board, and bring exclusive titles to them. until that happens, andriod tablets will continue to be an afterthought in the market, although they're packing far better specs.

as for the Eclipse, i don't have the patience to wait. no self control i suppose :p

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of LG and until they prove they will support their products both through updates and if something goes wrong with the phone ill stay away. Not releasing drivers and not updating the phones makes them a no go for me ATM.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I upgrade at least once a year, so I will get the "upgraded" SGSIV next year as well. Do not believe most people hold onto phones long enoughto have serious "buyers remorse".
Those who do already have 2 year old phones with last Gen tech now, right?
Surely they would like to upgrade to the best now, one of the best in the fall, very good phone over the winter, and good enough next year phone.

Just don't think phones released in December will be light years ahead of the galaxy s3.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
i am a heavy jailbereaker, so not that much lol.

i will miss the music player though. i haven't found one for android that is as robust as itunes.

sorry, i just don't buy google music as an equal when it comes to options, playlists, and overall media capabilities. :(

When I came from IOS I thought the same thing about the streaming music thing, now I absolutely prefer it, I get songs for free, or cheaper on amazon mp3 or on google music ...its really really great trust me. Your no longer in a jail cell...every codec works.

With google music I stream on my computer, the same exact profile on my phone like IOS only more options to create and delete what you want on your mobile device.

zack7687

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a fan of LG and until they prove they will support their products both through updates and if something goes wrong with the phone ill stay away. Not releasing drivers and not updating the phones makes them a no go for me ATM.

Exact reasons why I have never considered LG a top maker of android devices. I'll stick with my S3

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
lol. this wasn't intended to be, but it may be close to it.

i agree that LG needs to step their game up, especially with the new wave of devices on the horizon.

hopefully, they take a lesson from HTC's playbook, and focus on flagship products, instead of playing the field. make it simple, and we will buy :p

... oh, and make it powerful too. just in case you didn't know that already lol

anon(92709)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
The whole "there will always be something newer coming soon" argument is valid, but there are cases when I say it holds to less of a degree. An example of when it does not apply is when a phone is coming out with a cortex A9 processor more than a year after A9s were introduced on phones. Yes, clock speeds have been steadily rising that whole time, and benchmarks and performance has been improving, but these have been essentially modifications to the same base. A15 will be a new base and be a leap forward vs. little steps forward. That's why it makes sense when a A9 phone comes out (way after A9s were first released) to want to wait until the A15s hit, so that you can upgrade at a time when a great leap is made vs. upgrading at a time when only little steps are being made.

Now the GS3 with the S4 is kind of close to a leap, since the S4 is more advanced than cortex A9, but the thing that keeps it still just a little step is the GPU. Adreno 225 (and even the international's Mali) are both undeniably little steps forward vs. leaps. They are effectively mild improvements over 2011 GPUs, vs. Adreno 320 and the upcoming Mali which will be a new gen. The way I see it, I would MUCH rather make the decision to upgrade when a whole new generation of specs comes out than make the decision to upgrade at the end of a specs cycle. For those into cars, here's my analogy: the GS3 (and One X) are kind of like the last model year of a midcycle facelift. Compared to the initial release of the generation, the styling has been mildly updated, the HP and torque have been bumped (but they're still using the same fundamental engine, just tweaked for a bit more performance), some nice new features have been added to the interior, and things like the suspension and brakes have also been tweaked for performance. Still, it would be a bummer to get the last model year just before the next generation comes out, which is more than just an update.

Ultimately, it depends on where you are coming from, since if you're coming from a really old phone then the GS3 or One X may be a completely new gen to you. But if you're coming from a 2011 phone, you're essentially looking at the last evolution of your generation, which is why some people might want to wait until this fall/winter to see specs that so eclipse their phone as to warrant their designation as a completely new gen. That's where I'm at. Yes, the One X and GS3 are both better than my Sensation, but not "enough" for me. That's of course subjective, and I know the upgrade addicts probably don't agree, but there are also a lot of people like me out there.

I agree with this. My Nexus S is going on for nearly 2 years old and my next upgrade will be my first multicore phone. I have the option of picking up the GSIII now but as much as I love the device I know that in a few months time Touchwiz will be annoying me and I'll be regretting actually getting it when the next Nexus is released. I like stock android too much.

I made the same mistake last time when I plumped for the Desire Z, regretted it and dumped it in favour of the Nexus S. I'm holding off this time and seeing what Google I/O or November brings with regards to the Nexus line. I could pick up the GNex but its going on for 7 months old now and I'm not selling my NS just to buy out the remainder of my contract for that. If I'm taking a new contract I want the new stuff.

Contract is up in November and the spec bump from my NS to whatever is out then should be fairly epic.

Last edited:

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If you let things like that get to you, you'll never buy a phone. There's always something new around the corner. Just get the SIII now and get another phone when the next "latest and greatest" comes out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Totally agree. Waiting on the next best thing will just keep you from enjoying technology.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
i agree that if you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll end up waiting forever, but my point is to not jump on the end of development cycles.

an example is last year - i bought a laptop with an i7 sandybridge processor.

i knew that ivybridge wasn't going to be a huge performance leap, so i was okay with taking the plunge when i did.

here, we all know that the A15 will be a huge leap over the A9 chips. that was my only concern. we're at the end of a development cycle, and the next wave of chips are a huge leap forward. do you take the plunge now, knowing that they're just a couple of months away?

why did the SIII have to be so darn tempting!! lol

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree with this. My Nexus S is going on for nearly 2 years old and my next upgrade will be my first multicore phone. I have the option of picking up the GSIII now but as much as I love the device I know that in a few months time Touchwiz will be annoying me and I'll be regretting actually getting it when the next Nexus is released. I like stock android too much.

Two years, huh? It must have been a gift from Google since it wasn't really available to the public until, essentially, January of 2011. :p

(I'm just joshing you ... you do say your contract is up in November which would somehow put you in the year-and-a-half category.)

I have essentially the same phone (Samsung Vibrant), and it still runs quite well to this day. Unlike the general consensus, I hate stock Android in 4.0[1]. However, Samsung makes phones that are easy for developers to modify, so I can get stock android, Cyanogen, and a hundred ROMs beyond that. Obviously community support is going to be better on a Nexus device, but it hasn't been bad for me on a carrier-branded device.

[1] No tap-to-hold to add widgets, horizontally paginated app drawer, no quick settings in the notification menu, no lock screen delay, fewer device configuration options, infinite home screen scrolling ... that's without really looking for differences. Most of my complaints can be addressed by installing a new launcher, but I can't really fault manufacturers for trying to counter some of Google's moves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky