My ASUS case review (don't waste your money)

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
First the positives.

It fits well and doesn't add much to the size. Texture and feel are nice, same stippled pattern as the back of the bare nexus, but not quite as leathery feeling. All the holes are in the right place and the buttons are easy to press.

Okay that is all the positives...

The grey is not very attractive.
It's not a smart case, and unless you can find a very thin magnet with enough strength to activate the sleep function, I don't think this will be easy to modify.
Even worse, the screen cover activates touches on the screen. This combined with no auto-sleep, is really annoying. I closed up the cover and set the device down for a minute while I was reading a kindle book and when I opened it back up it had flipped about 30 pages on me.

I'll give it 3 stars for fit and protection, and subtract 3 stars for the fact that unless you remember to turn it off before you close it, you won't be where you left off, and it is likely to do things that you would rather it not do.

markyoung04

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
U kindle example is enough for me...been reading ebooks since my daughter was born 10 years ago on an old iPAQ. Losing or page after relying on whispernet for so long would suck. Thx for the review that hit home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way but your review is really lacking.

Lacking in what? Pictures? I'll take some soon. I said it offered good protection and fit, it has the Nexus and ASUS brand on the back and it is stippled like the back of the naked Nexus although it feels slightly different.

I still have it on my wife's Nexus 7. It has been sitting here for a while and I just opened the cover and it actually managed to unlock the device while just sitting there (and change a bunch of pages in the book). It's plugged in to a charger so it won't sleep, but it was locked when I closed it last. I wonder if the interaction with the cover is enough to prevent sleep even when not plugged in. As I said, I closed it up with my kindle app running and left it for a couple minutes and when I opened it back up it was still unlocked and I had to find my place in the book again. (which took a few minutes) Oh yeah, the case doesn't actually stay closed except by gravity. If you drop it, there is the likelihood that the cover will open in transit. I'm not willing to test this IRL, but if you hold the tablet upside down by it's edges, the cover will fall open.

SpenceJonas

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
You can have the device sleep while it's charging, it's in the developers settings.

Also I don't think this is going to be the same as the cases Asus announced themselves.

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I think we should start a new thread about undocumented features of this case. Maybe we should call it ' my nexus is possessed'.

Foe example. I have had my wife's nexus in the case for the past couple hours, on the charger but locked. I just sent her an email. So I opened the case and it automatically unlocked the device and opened google books with Alice in Wonderland set up to read. Sweet. Not really what I was looking to do, and not what I was doing before, but an undocumented feature.

I think I know what is happening though, just not sure how to solve it. The rubber case picks up a static charge when you handle it or rub it against things that tend to transmit static charges. The rubber, being non-conductive, transfers it across the surface, so when you open the case, sometimes the flow of charges fools the capacitive sensor into thinking that someone swiped, or touched or whatever.

kdskinner

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I got this case along with my Nexus 7 thinking that it would be something designed for use with the Nexus by the manufacturer and would therefor be one of the best, if not the best case for the Nexus. Busted! This case is just a rubber case with all the flaws that the OP said. I am not happy with this part of my purchase. I consider it $20 wasted.

tacsniper

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I was so set on buying this case, but after reading the review and seeing the video, I am going to wait for a 3rd party iPad like smart cover. Hopefully a 3rd party manufacturer is already making them

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I got this case along with my Nexus 7 thinking that it would be something designed for use with the Nexus by the manufacturer and would therefor be one of the best, if not the best case for the Nexus. Busted! This case is just a rubber case with all the flaws that the OP said. I am not happy with this part of my purchase. I consider it $20 wasted.

I'm grateful to the person who posted the video. It's a perfect example of something I *don't* want.

radadev

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I for one think it may be the way to go for me, but $20 may be a bit much.

I'm seeing a lot of leather heavy duty cases, but I want something light to cover the screen when I'm not using it but not get in my way when I am.

The only problem I have is the lack in the way of the smart cover feature. I don't see a good way to add a magnet to it.

I just want a simple lightweight case that supports the smart case setup without all that excess protection. I can't seem to find that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays