Dna vs. Note2 vs. Razr maxx

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to replace my GNex with something newer.
After reading all the reviews, I was set to buy the DNA, however, after reading the Droid Life Review stating that the notification LED is only green and red (not RGB), I am now not sure....old BB fan here that loves the multi-colored LED light to inform me about any notifications. I use Lightflow and by looking at my phone, I know immediately what the alert was for....

I like the specs and look of the DNA. I like the larger screen of the Note 2, but it is so freakin huge!! I cannot see myself putting that monster by my ear to make/receive phone calls. I am also not thrilled with Samsung's build quality. The Razr has such a great battery, great build quality (gorilla glass/etc.) and it has a huge LED RGB light that it is on the top of my list - but the screen isn't as nice and I honestly think the phone is plain....ARARGGGHGHGH!!!

I am a big phone tech guy - and want others to chime in with their thoughts. I am buying one of the three this weekend....I have literally changed my mind 7 times already! Help!!!

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
While there maybe only two colors, DNA has a notification light on front and BACK, so regardless which way your phone is laying you will see it. Might be something that nudges you one way or another.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the Razr Maxx HD. The battery life is great, and I think that alone makes it worth considering compared to other phones. The software is nice too, it's basically stock Android with a few well-designed tweaks. However, I wouldn't say the build quality is great - it's made of nice materials, but you'll notice flaws about the way it's put together, with the pieces of metal not matching perfectly and the seams between the materials having little flaws. It's a good phone, but be aware of that.

Jdyount

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
This is what sold me on the DNA: The DNA has a better screen than the Note II and Maxx HD (it has the best screen resolution, ppi, out of any smartphone on the market). The DNA has twice the processor and twice the ram as the Maxx HD. I can stay on wifi most of my day and I have 4g where I live so I'm really not worried about streaming data in place of having more memory. The DNA's battery doesn't bother me coming from the Thunderbolt. The battery has 50% larger capacity and there can't be a worse phone for battery management than the T-bolt.....

Last edited:

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This is what sold me on the DNA: The DNA has a better screen than the Note II and Maxx HD (it has the best screen resolution, ppi, out of any smartphone on the market). The DNA has twice the processor and twice the ram as the Maxx HD. I can stay on wifi most of my day and I have 4g where I live so I'm really not worried about streaming data in place of having more memory. The DNA's battery really doesn't worry me coming from the Thunderbolt. The battery has 50% larger capacity and there really can't be a worse phone for battery management than the T-bolt.....

Depends on what you do with the phone. For example, the extra RAM would have literally no impact on anything I do right now on the MAXX HD. The processor might make the OS run more smoothly, but it's already pretty smooth on the MAXX HD and it doesn't have Jelly Bean yet. I'm planning on replacing it in 2 years so I don't really care about future proofing. I'm pretty sure the phone will still work fine a year and a half from now.

Jdyount

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you do with the phone. For example, the extra RAM would have literally no impact on anything I do right now on the MAXX HD. The processor might make the OS run more smoothly, but it's already pretty smooth on the MAXX HD and it doesn't have Jelly Bean yet. I'm planning on replacing it in 2 years so I don't really care about future proofing. I'm pretty sure the phone will still work fine a year and a half from now.

I agree with you in a lot of ways, correlation to ram and processor speed vs actual performance is very relative to the application of those resources, but it certainly doesn't hurt having more .... An improvement in screen, however, would be something that is very noticeable. I'll be honest, I haven't seen the screen on the Razr HD, but I have on the Razr, and I was not impressed. It was more the coloring than the resolution, it just wasn't right to me. I probably should have waited to see first, but my bet is that the difference in screen on the DNA sitting right next to the Razr HD will be significant (now hot having them next to each other, it probably wouldn't matter).

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you in a lot of ways, correlation to ram and processor speed vs actual performance is very relative to the application of those resources, but it certainly doesn't hurt having more .... An improvement in screen, however, would be something that is very noticeable. I'll be honest, I haven't seen the screen on the Razr HD, but I have on the Razr, and I was not impressed. It was more the coloring than the resolution, it just wasn't right to me. I probably should have waited to see first, but my bet is that the difference in screen on the DNA sitting right next to the Razr HD will be significant (now hot having them next to each other, it probably wouldn't matter).

The One X has a noticeably better screen than the Razr HD, so I assume the DNA does too. The Razr HD has a quality screen though, it's not bad by any means.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I was debating between the Note 2 and DNA, I'm not a Moto fan so the Maxx was never a thought for me. I decide to go with the DNA mainly because of the size seems perfect and the Note 2 is just to big. I would love to have the extra battery life the Note has but I'm hoping the DNA will be comparable to my Gnex which gets me though the day. I'm very excited to have to see the screen myself and have a decent camera for once. I could care less what colors notification lights it has or doesn't, one color is good for me and having them on both sides is a plus. I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the three since their all better then the iphone ;)

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I was debating between the Note 2 and DNA, I'm not a Moto fan so the Maxx was never a thought for me. I decide to go with the DNA mainly because of the size seems perfect and the Note 2 is just to big. I would love to have the extra battery life the Note has but I'm hoping the DNA will be comparable to my Gnex which gets me though the day. I'm very excited to have to see the screen myself and have a decent camera for once. I could care less what colors notification lights it has or doesn't, one color is good for me and having them on both sides is a plus. I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the three since their all better then the iphone ;)

If I were picking between the Note and the DNA, and I'd go with the DNA because it's still a smartphone even if it's a big one, wheras the Note seems like a tablet to me. Part of that is because HTC did such a good job with the bezels on the DNA.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
From your post I guess throwing the Note 2 out wouldn't hurt anything. My deal with it is that it's too big. 5.5 inches is almost the size of a Nexus 7. Those who say, "But, that's still 1.5 inches," yeah well there still are phones that are 4 inches and that's a difference of 1.5. I doubt I could fit it in my front pocket, not even mentioning a case, so I'd have to have it in my back, but I'm one of those guys who don't like sitting on their phone, so every time I'd sit down I'd have to take it out. It's a great phone, and I probably could find a way to use it normally, but it's just if I had a choice I would chose something different.

If the notification light is really that big of a deal to you, you should go with the RAZR. If you can deal with it, get the DNA. I'll be honest, when I got my Thunderbolt I didn't even know other phones might have more than orange and green, but when I found out I do feel myself wanting more. It was never that big of a thing for me though since I can change it for some apps so they all don't flash green, and I normally only get a few emails, texts, and calls, so my light was just there to tell me I missed something. I think the DNA makes up for it though with its rear notification light. I never put my phone face down when I'm not using it, because then I wouldn't be able to see the notification light, and sometimes miss something that happened an hour ago, but I will just unconsciously put it face down when I take it out, so I'll have to flip it over.

For me, I'm choosing the DNA. If the DNA hadn't happened, I would get the RAZR. If someone gave me a Note 2, I probably would maybe not sell it. :)

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I was also torn in this situation. Coming from a gnex both the note 2 and DNA are huge step ups in terms of hardware. For me it came down to size, the note 2 is just a little big for my liking. I didn't really think too much of it until I seen a guy using one to make a phone call on campus, he just looked ridiculous (in my opinion). So I was turn off to the note at that point. Not only that but before my gnex I had a fascinate, so I'm ready to just get away from Sammy for a bit. If the DNA wouldn't have happened I'd probably just sit on my gnex for another half year or so. But this phone is just too good to pass up.

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
May I ask why you're not considering the Galaxy S3? If the size of the note is your main issue with it, remember that the S3 has very similar specs in a smaller size. I have one and even tho its only dual-core, the 2GB of ram have made sure ive never regretted the buy. Also the processing power is still awesome and I personally love the screen. For what it's worth though, ive extensively used the Note2 and ive never used a phone that can compare to the amount of practical performance it offers. Thing is a beast and you'll probably just get used to the size.

Sent from my MetroPCS GalaxyS3 consistently getting around 7-8mpbs down... contracts and data limits need not apply.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, the GS3 is a great phone, but it is $50 more (at 2yr upgrade price) than the DNA right now, for less phone. For that matter, the Note II is $100 more....

Exactly, and in my eyes I do not see the gains from spending an extra 50/100 on either of those phones.

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Unless you wear skinny jeans there's no reason a Note 2 wouldn't fit in your front pocket.

People grossly overexaggerate the size of the Note 2. It's slightly bigger in overall size than the GS3.

wpid-galaxy-note-2-vs-galaxy-s3-vs-galaxy-nexus.jpg

It's still small enough to hold in your hands. Maybe you might need two hands to type or something (although it has the one-handed function) but I think unless you have really large hands, most 4.5"+ screens will require two handed typing anyway.

But it's nowhere near the size of a 7" tablet.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Unless you wear skinny jeans there's no reason a Note 2 wouldn't fit in your front pocket.

People grossly overexaggerate the size of the Note 2. It's slightly bigger in overall size than the GS3.

http://myandroidgadgets.com/wp-cont...alaxy-note-2-vs-galaxy-s3-vs-galaxy-nexus.jpg

It's still small enough to hold in your hands. Maybe you might need two hands to type or something (although it has the one-handed function) but I think unless you have really large hands, most 4.5"+ screens will require two handed typing anyway.

Haha wow that's huge.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

http://myandroidgadgets.com/wp-cont...alaxy-note-2-vs-galaxy-s3-vs-galaxy-nexus.jpg

Maybe it isn't all that huge and 5.5 might be the standard next year. But as of right now, its just too big for some, even if we don't wear skinny jeans. This is Also something that swayed me toward the DNA

Droid DNA and the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | Android Central

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It's not that long ago when people thought 4.5" phones were unwieldy and huge too. But here we are now thinking even the 4" on the iPhone 5 is on the small side of things and 4.5-5" screens are the norm now.

It just takes some adjustment. Of course, if you have really small hands, or wear skinny jeans or something along those lines then I could see it being an issue.. but otherwise, I don't think the Note 2 is big enough to be unwieldy, personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olyria10