Screen Durability on the RAZR?

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
The one thing that concerns me about my new RAZR 2023 is the durability of the screen. Does anyone have long-term experience with the RAZR series? I still have some time to buy the Motorola 24-month protection plan, and with the build quality of the device the only thing that bugs me is the durability of the fold. What sayest thou? TIA!

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
I’m reading in internet searches that there was some real problems circa 2020 with the slightly older RAZR folds, however the 2023 model(s) can go from 200,000 to 400,000 open-and-shuts and the screens are quite durable. The tests , performed on machines, are documented on YT. Looking at mine, it looks like the screen never folds flat with a crease when the clamshell is closed. It looks more like a “teardrop”, never creased, when closed. I don’t see why there would be a problem with durability with proper care.

If mine lasts for 200,000 folds, that would reflect 5+ years of use if I open the flip 100 times a day.. I’m good with that.

If anyone has experience with wrecked screens, I’d be interested in hearing your narrative. I have 30 days to buy the extended Motorola care lol - - - - -

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
With proper care your screen should be ok however, I would always get their moto care as you never know what may happen. Better safe than sorry is a good way to go.

Reactions: Tractorlegs

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
With proper care your screen should be ok however, I would always get their moto care as you never know what may happen. Better safe than sorry is a good way to go.
Thanks for your response. Moto care is definitely an attractive option - like you say, better safe than sorry. 😊

Reactions: bkeaver

moto312gus

Jun 23, 2023
Visit site
The only screen durability issue I've seen is lots of very light scratching on the bottom half, left and right sides- the areas where I scroll with my thumbs.

It's not bad, but the phone's only about 9 months old. Motorola says not to use any additional screen protectors so I am not. Makes me wonder though.

Reactions: Tractorlegs

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
The only screen durability issue I've seen is lots of very light scratching on the bottom half, left and right sides- the areas where I scroll with my thumbs.

It's not bad, but the phone's only about 9 months old. Motorola says not to use any additional screen protectors so I am not. Makes me wonder though.
I’ve had mine for only 1-1/2 months, and so far no scratches or problems with the screen whatsoever. I’m curious whether the scratches on yours would be covered by the warranty or (if you got it) the Moto Care?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Does it have a film screen protector like the Flips? Those just get cosmetic damage protecting the actual screen, and are easy to replace or cheap to have replaced 👍

moto312gus

Jun 23, 2023
Visit site
Mine has the factory screen protector, that's what has those light scratches. My fingertips are kinda rough, I suppose that's the problem.

It's not bad enough to affect operation, or even be noticeable unless you look for it.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Mine has the factory screen protector, that's what has those light scratches. My fingertips are kinda rough, I suppose that's the problem.

It's not bad enough to affect operation, or even be noticeable unless you look for it.
When it gets bad enough to start bothering you, just replace the protector or have it replaced 👍 It does kinda suck tho that we have to deal with a soft plastic screen protector after coming from a Gorilla Glass screen ... it takes a little getting used to 😯

But for me the size difference is worth it 👍

Reactions: Laura Knotek

moto312gus

Jun 23, 2023
Visit site
I just found this:

If the scratching gets bad enough I might do this, or file a warranty/protection plan claim.

Agreed the plastic took getting used to, but I too don't mind it. Love the razr+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter