Data plan

jctuchman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I am currently a Verizon customer and have a BlackBerry 9930. I am contemplating making the switch to a Samsung Galaxy S3, but have some questions regarding the data plan. I have an unlimited data plan now. It is my understanding that if I upgrade with a subsidized phone, I will lose the unlimited data plan and will have to select a monthly allowance. However, if I purchase a non-contract phone or one from a 3rd party or reseller, I do not have to renew my contract and change data plans.

So, my question is this: Just how valuable is the unlimited data plan? Is it worth spending hundreds of dollars more on a full priced phone? If I had to switch to a monthly allowance, what plan would I want or need. I imagine I will be using substantially more data than I was with the BlackBerry, but I have no idea what is typical. I'll certainly be using email and web browsing, perhaps the occasional streaming and skyping too.

Thanks!

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I am currently a Verizon customer and have a BlackBerry 9930. I am contemplating making the switch to a Samsung Galaxy S3, but have some questions regarding the data plan. I have an unlimited data plan now. It is my understanding that if I upgrade with a subsidized phone, I will lose the unlimited data plan and will have to select a monthly allowance. However, if I purchase a non-contract phone or one from a 3rd party or reseller, I do not have to renew my contract and change data plans.

So, my question is this: Just how valuable is the unlimited data plan? Is it worth spending hundreds of dollars more on a full priced phone? If I had to switch to a monthly allowance, what plan would I want or need. I imagine I will be using substantially more data than I was with the BlackBerry, but I have no idea what is typical. I'll certainly be using email and web browsing, perhaps the occasional streaming and skyping too.

Thanks!

It is very valuable. I would keep it as long as possible. The app store is much deeper on Android than with blackberry so you will for sure run into more data

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I for one would do my best to keep your unlimited plan. Download or stream a single movie from Google Play and a good chunk of your allotment will be gone. There's no telling what kind of new and exciting things you might want to do with your phone, and one thing is certain - once you give it up you can't ever get it back. Is it hard to justify spending $$ up front to keep the plan? Yes. Will you be glad you did? I think so.

corki2

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

I switched from unlimited. I've used less than 2g every month for the past year. I took a 4g plan with free hotspot. I use my phone for business email, etc. I keep WiFi on when I am home which is most of the time since I'm a home based business. The hotspot would only be turned on if my home WiFi goes out (thanks to Brighthouse). Now my daughter must have unlimited data. She can blow through 12g herself streaming videos, music, etc. So you really need to evaluate your specific data use and decide if you want to give up unlimited.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I will never willingly give up my unlimited data. it amazing the stuff this phone will do. I have dish tv at home with a sling adapter and therefore can watch tv or dvr recordings anywhere anytime. that sucks the data big time. these phones can do so much and i refuse to stress out looking for wifi whenever i want to use it. i also tether to my tablet and laptop so.........yes its worth it to keep your unlimited!!!!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am saving a lot of money and i do use wifi when possible. I don't stream video or watch movies. I am happy with the new plan. If you can fork out retail then keep unlimited. If not and on new contract you will give it up. I have no problem with it

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It just depends on your usage, both current and future. For me, I use too much data so I will keep unlimited data, but others use little data, so switching makes sense. Although I can't upgrade my line, i can still upgrade my other lines which aren't on unlimited data and simply move the phone to my line.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIII

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Depends on your usage.

Though it may be harder to estimate since you're on a BlackBerry (which traditionally uses less data).

gaijin82

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I would try to keep your unlimited data this time. If in the future you're only using 2 or 3 gbs then switch plans then. Its not worth giving it up for a maybe. Besides, the faster our data speeds get, the more we are going to use data. I use about 3 more gbs a month just because I have 4G 40% of the time. (I typically use 10 to 15gbs/month)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

papafrankm

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I switched with Verizon from long time blackberry storm.
I got to keep my plan.
So happy the sg3 is far better .
Reception though not fantastic is greatly improved I live in a fringe area.
The transaction was very smooth.
My first android experience along with the Samsung tab 2 10.1.
I do not miss rim at all.
And I never use my laptop any more.
Android is so superior.
Updates are hassle free,

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Android Central Forums

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
You can buy a refurbished GSIII from Verizon for around $400 off contract. Comes with a warranty. So it's a bit more than a new one with a 2-year contract but it's not bad for what should be a good phone. It's an online only offer.

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I had the same concern and the same deal. I went into the Verizon store in part because my TBolt was, literally, and agonizingly, dying.

So, I thought about paying the full boat to keep my unlimited plan... until they pulled up my record and showed me where I'd been averaging .4 gig for months.

So, I went ahead and got my SG3 16 and at the same time, picked up one of those 4G Google Tab 2's for 99$.(An astounding unit, BTW) about 10 days or so ago.

They screwed around with my plan, doubled the 2 gig to 4 gig, unlimited talk/text and somehow, I'm paying $2 a month or so less for my sharred data plan than I was when I walked in.

So, when it comes down to it, like others have said, it depends on how much data you use.

I work out of my home office which has wifi, of course. And, I suppose, if data ever becomes critical, I can always pay the ETF and ditch Verizon.

But in the end, the only one who can answer the "upgrade or full boat" question is you.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's worth keeping the unlimited plan, I came from a fasanate and ran about 1 gig a month now I'm running between 8 to 12 on 4g.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jctuchman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It just depends on your usage, both current and future. For me, I use too much data so I will keep unlimited data, but others use little data, so switching makes sense. Although I can't upgrade my line, i can still upgrade my other lines which aren't on unlimited data and simply move the phone to my line.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIII

Wait a second, so are you saying I can upgrade for a new phone on the secondary line (I'm on a familyshare plan) for the discounted price of the phone, and then replace the phone on my primary line with the new phone I just got for the secondary line, all while keeping the same unlimited data plan on the primary line? That would seem like the best result to me -- keep the unlimited data and get a discounted phone.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Cost of phone: $599.00
Cost of phone with subsidy: $199.00
Savings = $400.00

Data plan for unlimited users: $40.00 a month, regardless.
2GB Plan: $40.00 a month
4GB Plan: $50.00 a month ($10.00 more)
6GB $60.00 / 20 more
8GB $70.00 / 30 more
10GB: $80.00 / 40 more

So...If you take the $400.00 up front savings, and get a 2GB plan, you'll pay what you're paying now, but get the subsidy of $400.00 up front. I use WiFi 90% of the time. For me it's cheaper to let Verizon subsidize the phone for me.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Wait a second, so are you saying I can upgrade for a new phone on the secondary line (I'm on a familyshare plan) for the discounted price of the phone, and then replace the phone on my primary line with the new phone I just got for the secondary line, all while keeping the same unlimited data plan on the primary line? That would seem like the best result to me -- keep the unlimited data and get a discounted phone.

Yes, you can do that...You'll just have to change your phone number unless you switch carriers and port the number.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I also upgraded using another lines upgrade, when the phone came in I went to a Verizon store and had them make me a new sim card for my line and activated the phone. Took 10 minutes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums