So is the Nexus 4 the best android phone?

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about the 4 but only a 16 or 8g of memory and no expandable memory or LTE was a deal breaker for me. Im sure it's an awesome phone just not for me

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure this was said (sorry!) but the reality is that the Note 2 and S3 are Android based. They really should be considered Touchwiz phones since they've changed and added so much. Not saying it's bad, but it's not really Android.

So yes, the N4 is the best Android phone. Mostly because there aren't a lot of REAL Android phones.

Spread the definition out to include all Android based phones and then yes, you have a real discussion about what the best phone is. I would say that if you're a software guy the Nexus is the only option. If you're a hardware guy (camera mostly honestly) than other phones are better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure this was said (sorry!) but the reality is that the Note 2 and S3 are Android based. They really should be considered Touchwiz phones since they've changed and added so much. Not saying it's bad, but it's not really Android.
Sure it is. It is Android with a skin on it. The skin may be heavy, but it's still a skin on Android. Note 2 and S3 both use apps from the Play Store, and the apps behave the same way, and the apps are exactly the same (same APK). By your definition, only pure Android devices would be considered Android devices; all others would be "Android-based." Because if not, how do you decide how much skin is enough to tip the balance from Android to Android-based? I would say a pretty good standard to go by is whatever handsets/software is supported by the Open Handset Alliance as an Android device should be considered one.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sure it is. It is Android with a skin on it. The skin may be heavy, but it's still a skin on Android. Note 2 and S3 both use apps from the Play Store, and the apps behave the same way, and the apps are exactly the same (same APK). By your definition, only pure Android devices would be considered Android devices; all others would be "Android-based." Because if not, how do you decide how much skin is enough to tip the balance from Android to Android-based? I would say a pretty good standard to go by is whatever handsets/software is supported by the Open Handset Alliance as an Android device should be considered one.

Yep. They are Android-based. Anything other than "stock" Android. Doesn't have to be a Nexus. Asus makes tablets with stock Android. I guess to be a bit more specific I mean no UI changes have been made.

A launcher is more like a skin. Only changes to the exterior (you know, like what skin really is). It can be removed.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Yep. They are Android-based. Anything other than "stock" Android. Doesn't have to be a Nexus. Asus makes tablets with stock Android. I guess to be a bit more specific I mean no UI changes have been made.

A launcher is more like a skin. Only changes to the exterior (you know, like what skin really is). It can be removed.

Nope, UI changes that Touchwiz makes can also be removed, with the right technical expertise. In addition, the phones can be rooted and have the OS completely removed in favor of another Android OS (such as CM, which is also not "stock" Android). This is like trying to say a person isn't the same person because their clothes are on too tightly or because they got a new tattoo - or, if you prefer, an organ transplant. Android isn't just a plain operating system - it is *also* a base. One of the reasons we love Android as opposed to iOS is that Google allows the openness and ability for both developers and manufacturers to modify it, as opposed to Apple's way of controlling every step of the process. That openness is an essential component of what makes Android, Android.

I get the idea that stock Android is different from the modified versions, but to say that only it is Android is contrary to the very nature of Android. And I say that as someone who has owned the Nexus S, the Galaxy Nexus (GSM) and now proudly own the Nexus 4. Even before that I rooted my phones to put CM on it so I would get as close to stock Android as possible. I love stock Android. But that doesn't mean that these other phones aren't Android phones.

Also this might be a distinction without a difference but for this thread. I'm of the mind that those other phones are definitely in the running when considering what is the best Android phones, and I would bet the OP had in mind what you would call both Android and "Android-based" phones.

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes. The iPhone 4, 8GB costs 450 carrier unlocked....two generations old. Nexus 4 is in the same spec class as the iPhone 5. I'll do without LTE and extra storage for that savings.

tennockey

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Sold my GS3 to get an Nexus 4 and never looked back. I hated the plastic body of the S3 and hated touchwiz. The Nexus 4 has been everything I wanted in a phone, and I only bought the 8gb model. Its plenty for me. Only reason I would want the Note 2 is for the bigger battery. However my N4 gets me about a day of moderate use with no games. So its fine most days

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Agreed with Kevin, if its software you want Nexus 4 is best but if you want more features and such the S3 is better. Or if you want a phone and a tablet and you love using a stylus then the Note 2 is best. It all depends on what you want.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I used my tablet more often for "latest OS features" then I do my phone. Since non-nexus phones tend to have better specs my solution has elegant simplicity : high end phone with the latest and greatest specs, camera etc, and a Nexus tablet :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nope, UI changes that Touchwiz makes can also be removed, with the right technical expertise. In addition, the phones can be rooted and have the OS completely removed in favor of another Android OS (such as CM, which is also not "stock" Android). This is like trying to say a person isn't the same person because their clothes are on too tightly or because they got a new tattoo - or, if you prefer, an organ transplant. Android isn't just a plain operating system - it is *also* a base. One of the reasons we love Android as opposed to iOS is that Google allows the openness and ability for both developers and manufacturers to modify it, as opposed to Apple's way of controlling every step of the process. That openness is an essential component of what makes Android, Android.

I get the idea that stock Android is different from the modified versions, but to say that only it is Android is contrary to the very nature of Android. And I say that as someone who has owned the Nexus S, the Galaxy Nexus (GSM) and now proudly own the Nexus 4. Even before that I rooted my phones to put CM on it so I would get as close to stock Android as possible. I love stock Android. But that doesn't mean that these other phones aren't Android phones.

Also this might be a distinction without a difference but for this thread. I'm of the mind that those other phones are definitely in the running when considering what is the best Android phones, and I would bet the OP had in mind what you would call both Android and "Android-based" phones.

Way too many caveats in your first paragraph. You made my point for me. They are not easily removable if you need technical expertise. Heck, look how long it takes to get AOSP builds working on some of the phones out there.

And trust me, I completely understand what Android is. It's a double edged sword. You can have what Google intends (Nexus) or what a manufacturer and/or carrier intends (most others).

Would you also then consider what Amazon has done to be just a "skin" that's able to be removed?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Way too many caveats in your first paragraph. You made my point for me. They are not easily removable if you need technical expertise.
Neither are tattoos. Does that make someone that gets a new tattoo a different person?

Would you also then consider what Amazon has done to be just a "skin" that's able to be removed?
If you're asking me if I consider the Kindle Fire line of tablets Android devices, I do. But it's not a phone, obviously.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Neither are tattoos. Does that make someone that gets a new tattoo a different person?

If you're asking me if I consider the Kindle Fire line of tablets Android devices, I do. But it's not a phone, obviously.

I'm not sure I think that all people are quite what Google intends either... :-!

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The S3 is definitely not better than the nexus 4. The Note 2 may be but it's so close its just a matter of preference. I for one like my updates and software that's free from carrier filth. Note 2 can't do that. Besides, if your device is locked what makes it yours? It seems to me it belongs to Verizon or at&t.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

People and devices aren't the same and it's not a good metaphor.

I would consider the Amazon tablets Android-based, not Android. They don't even have GAPPS.

And I do get what you're saying and understand your view, I just disagree. Especially since Touchwiz and Sense source code doesn't have to be released.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
People and devices aren't the same and it's not a good metaphor.

I would consider the Amazon tablets Android-based, not Android. They don't even have GAPPS.

And I do get what you're saying and understand your view, I just disagree. Especially since Touchwiz and Sense source code doesn't have to be released.
I think it's a perfectly fine metaphor when the point is to demonstrate that adding something hard to remove does not necessarily change what something is.

Not to belabor the point, but GAPPS are explicitly not part of Android. Android is open source, gapps is not. This is why for CM ROMs you have to flash GAPPS separately.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

llamainmypocket

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
If you are looking at numbers than the S3 is clearly the best android phone right?

Sent from my Sammy S3

Is McDonalds the best food on earth?

The only phone worth buying for me was the nexus 4. But it in comparison to the s3 is got better specs, marginally better resolution, better operating system in that it will receive updates. All of that I can live without, its that its carrier free device that makes it perfect for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiggerBoat1919