Hi. I'm David. I switched to android, and wish I never did.

David Vaux

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been waiting to write this for a few days now, and thought I'd join this forum and express my opinion and hear what you guys all have to say.

I switched to android. I ******* hate it.

I have been an iPhone user since day one. Yup, that ****ty metal, heavy, 2g device. I've never used another phone (as my everyday) since than. Sure, I've played with phones and used some for weeks at a time (I used to work at AT&T), but the iPhone was always my go to.

Recently, the S4 and the ONE came out. The specs, and hype, the marketing.... really intrigued me. I said, "You know what? **** it. I'll get an android. These phones are top notch, and they have more features than I know what to do with, I want to switch". For the past 2 years, I've been complaining that Apple is.... BORING.... LACKING INNOVATION.... EXCLUDING SIMPLE FEATURES.... ETC. Trust me, I am NOT a Apple fanboy. I complain PLENTY about how the iPhone should have specific features (as simple as A SCREEN BRIGHTNESS CHANGER WITHOUT HAVING TO GO INTO THE SETTINGS). Trust me, I know how it is guys... Finally, I made the switch.

I bought this S4. From AT&T. Man, it's a sexy phone. Sleek. Big display. GORGEOUS display. Removable battery, added storage, quad core, the list goes on. This phone on paper, is unbelievable. But that's where it stops.

Immediately beginning to use this phone (as my everyday) I release how.... laggy it is.... how complex it is.... how it has features that are simply ******* STUPID. I'm moving around this QUAD CORE device with 2GB of ram and noticing just suttle lag all over the place. In the menu, in apps, etc. I'm realizing that the fact that my finger DOESNT NEED TO TOUCH THE DISPLAY FOR IT TO STILL TRIGGER I TOUCHED IT, annoys the hell out of me. I realize all this stupid bloatware from the manufacturer / att (yes i know about rooting, and I did that later).

I miss my iPhone.

Moving around android just annoys me. Its too detailed. There are WAY too many options. The flexibilty and the customization options are INSANELY overdone. The phone is powerful. The phone is ultimately designed to make it how YOU want it, but it goes too far. I miss my iPhone.

I miss the simplicity. I miss the smoothness. I miss the fact that everything, just, worked. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm close minded. But Android overall, seems to be just trying to hard to stand out.

All I want in a phone... is a phone... that just works. Smoothly. Take out all this bull**** that is added in these days... take out all the features that obviously NO ONE will use, and focus on the usability/reliability of the device. Focus on what the user ULTIMATELY will be using. Take out the bull****. Make it straight forward. Why do these manufacturers push so far to 'customize' their devices claiming it gives the 'ultimate experience'? No it doesn't... it bloats the phone and makes it overwhelming.

Ok, I'm dont ranting. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say. Any of you iPhone divorces? Would love to understand what you think about these new phones. I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm unsure....

malikshuman

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
If you miss your iPhone so much go and get one. We couldn't care less about how much you hate android.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

David Vaux

May 4, 2013
Visit site
If you miss your iPhone so much go and get one. We couldn't care less about how much you hate android.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

You're right. But I'm trying to give it a shot. I just am trying to understand why I am so comfortable with my iPhone... i got so many friends who use android and praise it... but cant give it. I'm shocked and pretty confused on why phones are pushing these 'QUAD CORE / OCTO CORE' processors, yet still have lag. It boggles my mind.

Honestly I want to hear from a user who switched from iPhone and explain their process.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I made my break from iPhone in 2011 and missed it so I went back. Last summer I came back to android and I am so happy I did. I love all the customization and features that Android offers. IOS is plain boring. I will never say never, but I can't ever see going back to an iPhone at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been waiting to write this for a few days now, and thought I'd join this forum and express my opinion and hear what you guys all have to say.

I switched to android. I ******* hate it.

I have been an iPhone user since day one. Yup, that ****ty metal, heavy, 2g device. I've never used another phone (as my everyday) since than. Sure, I've played with phones and used some for weeks at a time (I used to work at AT&T), but the iPhone was always my go to.

Recently, the S4 and the ONE came out. The specs, and hype, the marketing.... really intrigued me. I said, "You know what? **** it. I'll get an android. These phones are top notch, and they have more features than I know what to do with, I want to switch". For the past 2 years, I've been complaining that Apple is.... BORING.... LACKING INNOVATION.... EXCLUDING SIMPLE FEATURES.... ETC. Trust me, I am NOT a Apple fanboy. I complain PLENTY about how the iPhone should have specific features (as simple as A SCREEN BRIGHTNESS CHANGER WITHOUT HAVING TO GO INTO THE SETTINGS). Trust me, I know how it is guys... Finally, I made the switch.

I bought this S4. From AT&T. Man, it's a sexy phone. Sleek. Big display. GORGEOUS display. Removable battery, added storage, quad core, the list goes on. This phone on paper, is unbelievable. But that's where it stops.

Immediately beginning to use this phone (as my everyday) I release how.... laggy it is.... how complex it is.... how it has features that are simply ******* STUPID. I'm moving around this QUAD CORE device with 2GB of ram and noticing just suttle lag all over the place. In the menu, in apps, etc. I'm realizing that the fact that my finger DOESNT NEED TO TOUCH THE DISPLAY FOR IT TO STILL TRIGGER I TOUCHED IT, annoys the hell out of me. I realize all this stupid bloatware from the manufacturer / att (yes i know about rooting, and I did that later).

I miss my iPhone.

Moving around android just annoys me. Its too detailed. There are WAY too many options. The flexibilty and the customization options are INSANELY overdone. The phone is powerful. The phone is ultimately designed to make it how YOU want it, but it goes too far. I miss my iPhone.

I miss the simplicity. I miss the smoothness. I miss the fact that everything, just, worked. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm close minded. But Android overall, seems to be just trying to hard to stand out.

All I want in a phone... is a phone... that just works. Smoothly. Take out all this bull**** that is added in these days... take out all the features that obviously NO ONE will use, and focus on the usability/reliability of the device. Focus on what the user ULTIMATELY will be using. Take out the bull****. Make it straight forward. Why do these manufacturers push so far to 'customize' their devices claiming it gives the 'ultimate experience'? No it doesn't... it bloats the phone and makes it overwhelming.

Ok, I'm dont ranting. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say. Any of you iPhone divorces? Would love to understand what you think about these new phones. I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm unsure....

Try this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=137252

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

David Vaux

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I made my break from iPhone in 2011 and missed it so I went back. Last summer I came back to android and I am so happy I did. I love all the customization and features that Android offers. IOS is plain boring. I will never say never, but I can't ever see going back to an iPhone at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

i 110% AGREE with you... iOS is ******* BORING AS HELL. I'm shocked Apple is still on their high horse and chose to keep a operating system so bland. and yes, android is insanely customizable... but I think I still cant get over the fact that all these apps I use run 10x better on the iPhone... it boggles my mind.

tobegone

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
david, i had blackberries for 3 yrs before making the switch to android (galaxy s3) in october of last yr. i went from a blackberry torch to the gs3. what a CRAZY adjustment! it took me quite a while to acclimate myself to the SIZE, features, concept differences, etc, etc... but i did. now, i could NEVER look back! I LOVE my gs3, and will be upgrading to the gs4 sometime this summer.. trust me- the learning curve was much steeper for me, coming from a blackberry - once to settle in, you'll realize there is nothing better than android, and all you can do with it!

from my gs3

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe you just need to settle in. It can be a bit overwhelming at first.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You're right. But I'm trying to give it a shot. I just am trying to understand why I am so comfortable with my iPhone... i got so many friends who use android and praise it... but cant give it. I'm shocked and pretty confused on why phones are pushing these 'QUAD CORE / OCTO CORE' processors, yet still have lag. It boggles my mind.

Honestly I want to hear from a user who switched from iPhone and explain their process.

Because you've always been using an iPhone and only know iOS. Give it time. Yes a GS4 or HTC One will have TONS of bloat slowing down the experience. I also came from an iPhone previously(iPhone 4) and would never go back to iOS after my Android experience. More options, more features, more choices, better experience in general. When I tried the iPhone 5 for a day I was annoyed with iOS and wanted my Nexus 4 back asap. So many things in iOS that need to be redone. IPhone 6 or whatever hopefully dramatically changes this time around or I only see more and more people switching/trying Android because iOS is completely boring.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

thezeke

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm an ex iPhone user that switched to android..

I had every iPhone even the 5, and finally made the switch to the DNA.. At first I was annoyed, wondering WTF etc. It literally took me about two weeks to adjust to the android and it's ecosystem.. I even went so far as putting them both side by side and doing speed test etc and the pros and cons of each..

I love android for the innovation and customization.. My phone is mine and no one else's is exactly the same. The apps that are available on both devices to me are equal. Some are better on iPhone and some are better on android. However, at the end of the day to me it's equal.. Sure I miss Imessage, I think it great. It's fast and reliable. But to be honest that's all I really miss about iPhone. I absolutely hate iTunes and how to locks you into it..

I could go on and on but pick a phone that's right for you and you like.. Not what everyone else tells you. They're both great ecosystems and to me not one is better than the other. It's all about personal preference...

Just my two and half cents.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I never had an iPhone and never will but I was a BlackBerry user for 5+ years until 2 months ago when I made the switch and have been happy I did. Samsung and Android are phenomenal.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm an ex iPhone user that switched to android..

I love android for the innovation and customization.. My phone is mine and no one else's is exactly the same.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'm a current iPhone user and I've got an HTC One on order and I'm starting to second guess my decision. The only major thing I don't like about the iPhone is I would like a larger screen. I could care less if someone else's phone is exactly the same as mine, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

To me, the apps are the core of what I use the phone for. The operating system is just something in the background.

Can somebody help me out and tell me what you can do on Android that you can't do on the iPhone and is something that you actually use? ie. everybody talks about NFC, but does anybody actually use it? Not trying to start a flame war or belittle anybody's operating system, I just truly want to know.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a current iPhone user and I've got an HTC One on order and I'm starting to second guess my decision. The only major thing I don't like about the iPhone is I would like a larger screen. I could care less if someone else's phone is exactly the same as mine, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

To me, the apps are the core of what I use the phone for. The operating system is just something in the background.

Can somebody help me out and tell me what you can do on Android that you can't do on the iPhone and is something that you actually use? ie. everybody talks about NFC, but does anybody actually use it? Not trying to start a flame war or belittle anybody's operating system, I just truly want to know.

You need to try it and see if you like it. That means more then two or three days then saying that Android sucks. Its completely different and has completely different ways of doing stuff. I would never go back to my iPhone after switching to Android. You might not like it at all or you might love it. And yes, I use NFC almost everyday.

David Vaux

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Like I want to make this clear to everyone... yes... Android offers 100x more functionality than iOS. BUT.... the whole 'smoothness' and 'reliability' factor of iOS just wins me over. I know I sound dumb as hell complaining about 'lag', but if a manufacturer pushes their product as TOP OF THE LINE and highlights the insane processor speeds, it shouldnt have lag. Android needs to figure out why their operating system continues to lack the smooth-factor that iOS has...

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Like I want to make this clear to everyone... yes... Android offers 100x more functionality than iOS. BUT.... the whole 'smoothness' and 'reliability' factor of iOS just wins me over. I know I sound dumb as hell complaining about 'lag', but if a manufacturer pushes their product as TOP OF THE LINE and highlights the insane processor speeds, it shouldnt have lag. Android needs to figure out why their operating system continues to lack the smooth-factor that iOS has...

They have and are addressing it starting with the Jelly bean update. My phone doesn't lag at all so I'm glad I won't be getting an HTC phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I bought this S4. From AT&T. Man, it's a sexy phone. Sleek. Big display. GORGEOUS display. Removable battery, added storage, quad core, the list goes on. This phone on paper, is unbelievable. But that's where it stops.

Immediately beginning to use this phone (as my everyday) I release how.... laggy it is.... how complex it is.... how it has features that are simply ******* STUPID. I'm moving around this QUAD CORE device with 2GB of ram and noticing just suttle lag all over the place. In the menu, in apps, etc. I'm realizing that the fact that my finger DOESNT NEED TO TOUCH THE DISPLAY FOR IT TO STILL TRIGGER I TOUCHED IT, annoys the hell out of me. I realize all this stupid bloatware from the manufacturer / att (yes i know about rooting, and I did that later)...

...All I want in a phone... is a phone... that just works. Smoothly. Take out all this bull**** that is added in these days... take out all the features that obviously NO ONE will use, and focus on the usability/reliability of the device. Focus on what the user ULTIMATELY will be using. Take out the bull****. Make it straight forward. Why do these manufacturers push so far to 'customize' their devices claiming it gives the 'ultimate experience'? No it doesn't... it bloats the phone and makes it overwhelming...

Brother, I feel your pain.

I just switched over from webOS. (Go ahead... I'll wait... Y'all done laughing? Good.)

You hit the nail on the head and indicated the solution.

You selected the wrong device for your jump-in.

Nexus 4 (amen!!!) rocks with the lack of bloat (hallelujah!!!) and no skinning (preach it, Brother!!!) makes it easier to get around than on an OEM skinned device (YES, Lord!!!) and makes the OS lean without that carrierware (get behind me, Satan!!!).

Join the heavenly chorus, Brother and swap on over to the N4. O:)

Vacmfuzzy

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Kinda sorta know how you're feeling. I LOVE android, yet I'm really intrigued w/the Nokia Lumia 920. I own a Zune,and I've always wanted a Zune-type phone,which is what the 920 appears closest to resembling. It's a gorgeous phone,but it would be hard to leave Android for it.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Brother, I feel your pain.

I just switched over from webOS. (Go ahead... I'll wait... Y'all done laughing? Good.)

You hit the nail on the head and indicated the solution.

You selected the wrong device for your jump-in.

Nexus 4 (amen!!!) rocks with the lack of bloat (hallelujah!!!) and no skinning (preach it, Brother!!!) makes it easier to get around than on an OEM skinned device (YES, Lord!!!) and makes the OS lean without that carrierware (get behind me, Satan!!!).

Join the heavenly chorus, Brother and swap on over to the N4. O:)

The Nexus 4 would have been a better choice for a more fluid Android experience.