Scratches on screen

loldroid23

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I know that this topic has been posted many times in this forum as well as many other forums out there and I'm sorry if this annoys you but here's the thing: my nexus 4's screen is scratched, and I'm very annoyed. I babied the phone from day one (around 2 weeks ago) and I'm extremely careful with it. I never put the phone face down, I wrap the phone in microfibre cloth when in a pocket, bought a case, bought screen protectors, I try to keep it out of my pocket as long as possible, I never dropped/scraped/pressed it on anything, I never put my phone anywhere near keys/coins, cleans my pocket frequently and I clean the screen basically once every 10 minutes. I did basically everything I can to keep my phone perfect. You would think that my phone is safe with the screen protector, but the thing is, it does not cover the portion of glass between the notification led and bezel. Unfortunately for me it scratched in that area. Talking about the scratches, there are around 15 of them, each between 1 and 5 milimetres (6 of them can be felt with fingernail). WTH? The phone is only 2 weeks old! How does gorilla glass get scratches THIS EASILY? I know that its not immune to scratches but it should at least resist them. By the way I don't live near beaches or sandy areas. Whatever this glass is its certainly not scratch resistant. The scratches are visible during normal use. My old samsung phone had a plastic screen and it had no scratches at all (seriously) and the phone before that had around the same number of scratches - in a year, that is. The upper area of the phone also has a similar 'gap' of glass but no scratches at all (I put the phone in my pocket head-first). These scratches basically destroyed all of my efforts to keep the phone at least in OK-condition and it will lower the resell value. I'm uber OCD about basically everything electronic and I've probably have gone insane over this. I'm very disappointed to see my nexus ruined forever (that is, until I get a screen replacement that will cost more than half the price I bought it for) and I'm also quite pi**ed off at corning. Does anyone else have any scratches on their screen that are close to the bottom of the phone and is gorilla glass 2 really this weak?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the WRONG screen protector to me. One thing is for sure, scratches don't magically appear. I have had my phone for three months and don't use a screen protector at all and I have no scratches on the screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone for months as well with a case but no screen protector. This is my first phone with no screen protector and I have my phone in my pocket all the time at work and in a holster outside of work with no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

shahali

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I too have scratches. I thought i'd go nude and stop using the screen protector. After seeing all these films with N4 being abused with no marks or scratches.... only to see that i have scratches on mine! I live in the UK, not much in my pocket, in fact make sure it was only my phone. I may have had coins once but never anything sharp. Disappointed that the glass scratches so easily. Got a screen protector now instead of going nude.

loldroid23

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
The only screen protector that I could find for the N4 is the one I mentioned in my previous post and I have basically no other options (I can't get a credit card just yet - I'm only 14 and a half. I also live in New Zealand and there is no Walmart or best buy).
As I said before that particular screen protector does not protect the area between the notification led and bezel and I can't do anything about it. I guess that I will eventually shell out for a screen replacement next year ($$$).

SkyDriver69

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
You say you had the phone for 2 weeks? I've had mine for about half that time and I'm just gonna put this out there because I found this site on my first day after I got the phone and I was pissed off with the phone but this site and the people on it helped me understand my mistakes and of course I love my N4.. so.. what I'm going to say is this: I still have the factory-installed "film" on the glass, the one with the power and volume markings on it, and when I tap or slide screen sometimes my fingernail 'scrapes' this factory installed film and I see a tiny line where my nail scraped this "factory installed" film... So.. just asking... did you remove any factory-installed protective film when you removed your beautiful hot sexy N4 from its box? If NO, is there a chance that there IS a film on your screen and what you're seeing is just fingernail marks on a protective film? It's been 1 week for me, the original film is still on there, a TINY sign of starting to peel upper right hand corner, but like the others on here, although I know "jack-all" about glass screens, I would be pretty disappointed to hear about your scratches when you clearly are in hot lusty heat with your N4 like I am.. So, let us know what's up, like what's up with a screen film that "leaves a space between notification light and bezel"? I mean, WTF is up with that? I almost wanna send you a decent screen protector film just cause I feel so bad about that- What kind of screen film doesn't.... cover.... the..... entire.... screen? ?? Well best of luck to you man... and when you're getting close and hot with that N4 of yours, like I do with mine, please remember.... protection.... ;)

loldroid23

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I removed both the front and back film as soon as I unboxed it.... Now I really do regret what I have done :( The back however is still 100% scratch free!

SkyDriver69

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Roger that, CaptBob... - I fly Twin Otter seaplanes in the Maldives!
So it IS true: "real" pilots are in hot lusty heat with the incredible N4 after all!
[I had heard that you had to carry a whyPhone, wear an oversized shiny watch and have a pair of Gay Ban Aviators hanging from your shirt pocket to be cool... ;)]
As far as protective film, yes, thank you for confirming- I was just trying to help the poster out since I see tiny 'scratches" on the film where the edge of my nail has caught it. But returning to the topic, since I'm a new N4 owner (6 days now and wanting to make babies with mine), can the community come up with what's going on with this young person's screen? I mean, again, I don't know anything about corning glass, but, Why after just 2 weeks would a person be seeing tiny scratches on such glass given a trade name of "Gorilla" which implies a certain strength? For those of us who enjoy the designed intent of the manufacturer to actually touch, slide, and FEEL the smoothness of a glass surface, can we use and enjoy the surface FREE from any 'protective film' interference?
I'm trying to leave the factory installed plastic on as long as it wants to stay on, but when it does peel off from use eventually, am I free to go 'naked' as I enjoy the feel of the glass or am I compelled to install a $10 piece of film on my $340 pocket rocket? And if I am, any recommendations for the best and smoothest screen protector product?

I should mention that my phone is kept in a leather wallet case that closes to protect the screen when not using the phone.

loldroid23

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys know any ways to remove scratches from glass? I really don't want to pay over half of the price of this phone for an repair just for those scratches. I heard that DVD/CD scratch repair kits might fix the screen but it might not work. Any suggestions? First person who reply will get a +1 and many thanks :)

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Roger that, CaptBob... - I fly Twin Otter seaplanes in the Maldives!
So it IS true: "real" pilots are in hot lusty heat with the incredible N4 after all!
[I had heard that you had to carry a whyPhone, wear an oversized shiny watch and have a pair of Gay Ban Aviators hanging from your shirt pocket to be cool... ;)]
As far as protective film, yes, thank you for confirming- I was just trying to help the poster out since I see tiny 'scratches" on the film where the edge of my nail has caught it. But returning to the topic, since I'm a new N4 owner (6 days now and wanting to make babies with mine), can the community come up with what's going on with this young person's screen? I mean, again, I don't know anything about corning glass, but, Why after just 2 weeks would a person be seeing tiny scratches on such glass given a trade name of "Gorilla" which implies a certain strength? For those of us who enjoy the designed intent of the manufacturer to actually touch, slide, and FEEL the smoothness of a glass surface, can we use and enjoy the surface FREE from any 'protective film' interference?
I'm trying to leave the factory installed plastic on as long as it wants to stay on, but when it does peel off from use eventually, am I free to go 'naked' as I enjoy the feel of the glass or am I compelled to install a $10 piece of film on my $340 pocket rocket? And if I am, any recommendations for the best and smoothest screen protector product?

I should mention that my phone is kept in a leather wallet case that closes to protect the screen when not using the phone.

767-400ER...

The SGP Crystal Dual Protector feels about the same as glass, no scratches possible unless you drag it down the runway at V1. ;)

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys know any ways to remove scratches from glass? I really don't want to pay over half of the price of this phone for an repair just for those scratches. I heard that DVD/CD scratch repair kits might fix the screen but it might not work. Any suggestions? First person who reply will get a +1 and many thanks :)

There are both glass and plastic polishing compounds to remove light scratches. In the past I used the glass polish to remove scratches on the glass part of my watch but I can't remember the name of it. It worked pretty good to and should work on the phone as well.

parfay

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
This won't help you at all but I chuck my phone face down all the time with no screen protector, put it in my pocket with coins and keys and generally don't nurse it too much and I don't have a single scratch on the screen or back. Winning or just lucky?

loldroid23

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
This won't help you at all but I chuck my phone face down all the time with no screen protector, put it in my pocket with coins and keys and generally don't nurse it too much and I don't have a single scratch on the screen or back. Winning or just lucky?

Lol just lucky :)

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else have any scratches on their screen that are close to the bottom of the phone and is gorilla glass 2 really this weak?

I'm sorry to hear that your Nexus 4 has scratches. It does seem odd that your phone has scratches after only 2 weeks, especially since you take good care of it. (Honestly, you seem like a very responsible 14 and a half-year old. There are people who are twice your age who are not as disciplined as you!)

My Nexus 4 has a screen protector and a case. It does not have any scratches. However, I do sympathize with your situation. My personal feeling is that Gorilla Glass 2 is not strong enough. Unfortunately, I cannot prove that, and I think most people would disagree with me since their phones are in perfect condition.

I have asked Corning for advice on their Gorilla Glass website. Hopefully they will reply with some tips that may solve your problems. I will let you know what they tell me once they reply to my email. If you want, you can certainly ask them yourself. Hopefully we can resolve this situation to your satisfaction. I know things may seem hopeless, but remember what Commander Taggart says:

"Never give up, never surrender!"

:D

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if you get duff batches of corning glass. It must be like any other product which is susceptible to manufacturing errors and flaws.

To the OP. You don't have a partner who has a nasty streak a mile wide by any chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzle