Ask me about the new Nexus 7!

Mike Molloy

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey Andrew,

Was wondering how much bloatware Google stuck on this thing? I've been dealing with the 8GB first gen for a year and that 8GB ends up being more like 5.4GB after all the stuff they won't let you delete. I'm pondering just going with the 16 since I am used to shuffling apps around, but if they have overloaded this thing with unremovable google stuff I may have to opt for the 32.

Thanks for your help with all of our questions!

thod3n

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey Andrew,

Was wondering how much bloatware Google stuck on this thing? I've been dealing with the 8GB first gen for a year and that 8GB ends up being more like 5.4GB after all the stuff they won't let you delete. I'm pondering just going with the 16 since I am used to shuffling apps around, but if they have overloaded this thing with unremovable google stuff I may have to opt for the 32.

Bloatware? No. It's a nexus so bloatware practically doesn't exist. The unusable part of the storage is taken up by OS files. Compared to touchwiz, the size of this is very small.

You can disable a few of the Google apps, but everything else is necessary and not much can be done about it. Either way, I don't think there's even an 8 GB model anymore.

Lexord

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
-Is the screen surprisingly good over the old gen. one?
-Do you think Google will make a 64Gigs model?
-Does it support OTG?
Thanks

scarletspider

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
here is the answer for miracast ...

Use wireless display on Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), & Nexus 10
Some or all of this information applies only to devices running Android 4.3.
Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), and Nexus 10 are compatible with devices that support the Wi-Fi Certified Miracast? protocol for wireless display. You can mirror the screen and wirelessly stream video and audio to a variety of displays and other devices that support Miracast, even when a standard Wi-Fi network isn?t available. For example, you can use wireless display to show your device?s screen on a TV equipped with a certified Miracast adapter.
For more information, see the documentation that comes with the Miracast-certified device you wish to use with your tablet or phone.
Jul 24, 2013

https://support.google.com/nexus/10/answer/2865484?hl=en

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Andrew,

The only preloaded apps on Nexus devices, are basically just the main Google services such as, GMail, Chrome, Google Now, and the rest of Googles main apps. They probably in total take up about 500mb (just a guess) The main part of memory use age is the OS itself. I plan on getting the 16 gig since its cheaper, and it is a huge improvement over the 8 in my current tab.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

suomaf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to know if otg works. Nexus 4 was such a clusterfun. Another weird question does the jawbone up work with the new nexus 7?

Thank you kindly.

Mike Molloy

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
So the Korean keyboard apps, and the Google apps I won't use ever that take up like half a gig (currents for a start, Google magazines, etc) don't qualify as bloat?

I'd define bloat as exactly that, software I won't use and cannot be removed.

I understand that there is no 8gb model thankfully, just wondered how much actual usable space there is on the new model. I know Andrew got a 32 so if he says 30gb free then we're looking at 2gb for the os and preloaded software, if they loaded it up with more stuff then that's something I would like to know.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
So the Korean keyboard apps, and the Google apps I won't use ever that take up like half a gig (currents for a start, Google magazines, etc) don't qualify as bloat?

I'd define bloat as exactly that, software I won't use and cannot be removed.

I understand that there is no 8gb model thankfully, just wondered how much actual usable space there is on the new model. I know Andrew got a 32 so if he says 30gb free then we're looking at 2gb for the os and preloaded software, if they loaded it up with more stuff then that's something I would like to know.

If the 32 gig has 30 gigs free, then I would assume the 16 gig model has 14 gigs free. That is definitely plenty for my usage.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

The Bard

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Benchmark please...
I wonder how good old S4 CPU & GPU on N2 7" handle full HD screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Leo K

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Andrew,
I have been trying to find this info but nobody has posted it yet.
Any idea what dac/audio it uses ?
Is it the Wolfson chip ?

If you are unable to find that info, could you let us know how the audio quality is with headphones ?

Thank you in advance !

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Does it have the sleep/wake function like the original? That's activated by a magnet.

Posted via Android Central App

Yes it does, works with a magnet just fine.

Does the back feel as good as the original? Not that I'll be getting it until next year.

It seems to feel just as good overall. I'm not 100% sold on it just yet, because i really liked the "leather" on the original, but it feels nice in the hand.

Not sure if this has been asked before, but how good do the speakers sound? Do they produce rich, and vibrant sound, or a more flat an tinny sound that tends to be present on a lot of mobile devices?

The speakers are loud. Still need to play more music through it to get a feeling for the quality.

-Is the screen surprisingly good over the old gen. one?
-Do you think Google will make a 64Gigs model?
-Does it support OTG?
Thanks

Right now they're saying 16/32GB. They bumped the storage mid-cycle on the last one, so who know.s

Still need to confirm OTG as I dont have an OTG cable with me right now.

But, does it blend?

Oh god, I wouldn't want to find out!

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
When plugged into HDMI and your charger through the SlimPort adapter, does it keep it charged, or does the battery slowly die? With both watching movies, and also doing things that require a lot more CPU, like gaming? Thanks!

zeroxia

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

As for Miracast, it requires two things:
1, hardware-wise, it requires "wifi-direct" support.
2, software-wise, it requires JellyBean 4.2.

I think the Nexus 7 2013 satisfies both. Can you check it in the settings application, by searching for something like "Wireless Display" setup in the "Display" category?

And I have a question concerning the SlimPort.

I have a SlimPort (SP1002) from Amazon:
Amazon.com: SlimPort? SP1002; Connect mobile devices to any big screen. High Speed micro USB (male) to HDMI (female) connector cable (4.26cm x 2.21cm x 0.99cm)-Supports Full HD and 3D at 1080p @60Hz, 24bpp: Electronics
This works with Nexus 4, but the output is not 1080p. If this specific SP1002 adapter is used on the new Nexus 7, can it output 1080p video? Thanks.