Chromebooks are awful. And here are some examples why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why are you asking for FULL Windows instead of Windows RT? I would argue that even Windows RT is more functional than Chrome OS, since it comes with Office 2013 and you can download different types of applications and not just web-browser extensions. Oh, and you can run different browsers too.

Chromebooks may come with an SSD but it's only 16 GB, which is PUNY. My phone has more internal storage than Chromebooks. The beauty of Windows is that it offers you choice - you can have a huge 500 GB mechanical HDD for storage, and a smaller 32 GB SSD for less than $45 if you so wish. Also, internal storage is better than cloud storage in about 99% of all scenarios I can think of.

You can change your settings in Windows so whenever you push the power button or close the lid, it automatically puts it to sleep. Once again, the beauty of a real operating system gives you choice in what you want it to do. You can shut it and go if you want, or leave it running all day if you want.

Nevertheless, Chromebooks DO have their place. Chromebooks are great for technologically illiterate people, people who don't have the knowledge or the patience to make their Windows notebook work the way they want it to. Hence why I'm getting a Chromebook for my girlfriend because she fits that demographic perfectly - she knows nothing about computers, doesn't even know how to do a Windows search, so a Chromebook would be perfect for her.

Yep, this post is a great example of not understanding what the device is for.

Internal storage is nearly useless in these devices when the point is to have all of your data sync with all of your devices. Windows can do it too, but its bulky and also doesn't use hard storage.

No one is claiming that chromebook should or could replace a full OS for people that need Linux, Windows or OSX. The claim is that most people really don't need those things and those that do would be surprised how much they can accomplish without.

For the remaining tasks you can remote into Windows, you can work on your windows machine and have it sync via your chrome browser and/or drive page and you can switch from phone to tablet to chromebook to windows machine to macbook without ever having a compatibility issue or wondering which device your data is on.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
You can change your settings in Windows so whenever you push the power button or close the lid, it automatically puts it to sleep. Once again, the beauty of a real operating system gives you choice in what you want it to do. You can shut it and go if you want, or leave it running all day if you want.

Nevertheless, Chromebooks DO have their place. Chromebooks are great for technologically illiterate people, people who don't have the knowledge or the patience to make their Windows notebook work the way they want it to. Hence why I'm getting a Chromebook for my girlfriend because she fits that demographic perfectly - she knows nothing about computers, doesn't even know how to do a Windows search, so a Chromebook would be perfect for her.

I'd be careful with the use of the word "real". ChromeOS IS an operating system (and capable of running apps, not just browser extensions) even if the functionality is more limited. Microsoft used the same thing in their scroogled campaign to suggest that chromebooks aren't real laptops. That isn't true, even if there are limitations.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Its weird... The most technologically proficient people I know all have chromebooks. Most have other toys too, but they love them some ChromeOS. Its actually not weird, because they're great, but their mass adoption and praise and realism about the limitations is worth a lot more than non-user preconceptions.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yep, this post is a great example of not understanding what the device is for.

Internal storage is nearly useless in these devices when the point is to have all of your data sync with all of your devices. Windows can do it too, but its bulky and also doesn't use hard storage.

No one is claiming that chromebook should or could replace a full OS for people that need Linux, Windows or OSX. The claim is that most people really don't need those things and those that do would be surprised how much they can accomplish without.

For the remaining tasks you can remote into Windows, you can work on your windows machine and have it sync via your chrome browser and/or drive page and you can switch from phone to tablet to chromebook to windows machine to macbook without ever having a compatibility issue or wondering which device your data is on.

Ironically I use Google Drive to sync all of my data between my Windows laptop, my Android phone, and even an iOS/OSX device if I so wish. You don't need Chrome OS to sync all of your data. Hmm, I guess I don't have a good understanding of what a Chromebook is good for afterall.

Internal storage still has its place and it will never lose out to cloud storage. The world is not fully connected yet and is not ready for nothing but cloud storage. Any small town you go into with only dial-up for data, or any building with thick concrete walls that you walk into with poor WiFi signal, or any place you go that just doesn't have WiFi, internal storage is better than cloud storage.

And no one is arguing that a Chromebook should or could replace a device with a full OS? Maybe you need to reread some of these comments, because that's exactly what people have been arguing about.

And I find it ironic that you said "For the remaining tasks you can remote into Windows". In other words, for everything a Chromebook can't do, Windows can. If that's the case, why even bother with a Chromebook in the first place?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd be careful with the use of the word "real". ChromeOS IS an operating system (and capable of running apps, not just browser extensions) even if the functionality is more limited. Microsoft used the same thing in their scroogled campaign to suggest that chromebooks aren't real laptops. That isn't true, even if there are limitations.

So can you install a virtual machine, virtually partition your hard drive and install an OS onto your virtual machine with ChromeOS? What app in the Chrome Store do I download to do that with?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
And no one is arguing that a Chromebook should or could replace a device with a full OS? Maybe you need to reread some of these comments, because that's exactly what people have been arguing about.

And I find it ironic that you said "For the remaining tasks you can remote into Windows". In other words, for everything a Chromebook can't do, Windows can. If that's the case, why even bother with a Chromebook in the first place?

I personally have no desire to carry a 20 lbs PC with two math processors and three 23" monitors plus all attending cables to class with me, or anywhere other than the desk where they sit. Hence laptop and as the use case for the laptop is not mathematical modeling, I find that almost everything casual can easily be done from the browser.

I would strongly disagree with an enterprise adoption of chromebooks for analytics, but I can't stand windows and when I'm not working, I don't need it. I prefer my tablet for most internet stuff, but for going to class and some long typing in forums and most moderating tasks, a laptop is better.

Tapatalk doesn't have a Google TV app or I might use that instead.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So can you install a virtual machine, virtually partition your hard drive and install an OS onto your virtual machine with ChromeOS? What app in the Chrome Store do I download to do that with?

Would you typically do that within Firefox? I'm confused what point you're making. Its purpose is straightforward. An OS focused on the web and Google's services, not on Windows centric methodologies and objectives. If someone is making the claim that a Chromebook is a windows duplicate, that's stupid. Windows is the problem that ChromeOS solves for a lot of people that just want more simple experience. It doesn't make other OS choices bad, its just a different direction entirely.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I personally have no desire to carry a 20 lbs PC with two math processors and three 23" monitors plus all attending cables to class with me, or anywhere other than the desk where they sit. Hence laptop and as the use case for the laptop is not mathematical modeling, I find that almost everything casual can easily be done from the browser.

I would strongly disagree with an enterprise adoption of chromebooks for analytics, but I can't stand windows and when I'm not working, I don't need it. I prefer my tablet for most internet stuff, but for going to class and some long typing in forums and most moderating tasks, a laptop is better.

Tapatalk doesn't have a Google TV app or I might use that instead.

That wasn't an exaggeration in the slightest. How about a svelte 11.6 inch 2.6 lb Windows laptop with a touchscreen for $300 instead? Because that's exactly what laptop I use on a daily basis, whether I'm at home or at work in a meeting.

You might not be able to stand Windows, but I know I wouldn't be able to stand the limitations of Chrome OS. Anytime I felt like doing anything that required more than a browser, I'd have to bring out my Windows laptop, so what's the point? I'll just use my Windows laptop instead.

My laptop has an SSD I installed myself (once again, the brilliant choices offered by real laptops) so boot times and application launches are excellent. There is no need for me to limit myself to Chrome OS when I KNOW how to optimize my Windows experience.

There really is no use case or scenario where a Chromebook is better than a Windows notebook, when a Windows user knows what they're doing.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure I understand your point or question. What does installing another OS within ChromeOS have to do with ChromeOS not being an OS? If it was to the point I said it can run apps and not just extensions, it can. There are now Chrome apps that run independently of the browser. I'm not arguing there are a ton of them and that there is an app that can replace anything a windows app can do. I'm not even arguing that ChromeOS can replace other operating systems in some use cases. My only point is that to say it's not a real OS is incorrect even if there are limitations.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why are you asking for FULL Windows instead of Windows RT? I would argue that even Windows RT is more functional than Chrome OS, since it comes with Office 2013 and you can download different types of applications and not just web-browser extensions. Oh, and you can run different browsers too.

As someone who has owned both Chrome OS devices and Windows RT devices, your understanding of Windows RT is off. Are there more Windows Store apps than Chrome apps? Probably, but I'm not actually sure. There are apps on Chrome OS that are more than just browser extentions. I'm asking for full Windows instead of Windows RT because of two main reasons. Firstly, the main argument for going Windows over Chrome OS in this thread has been support for all Windows applications. You don't get that with RT. Secondly, Windows RT is no more capable than Chrome OS and doesn't handle cloud storage as well as Chrome OS does. I have owned both for extended peroids of time, I am speaking from direct experience working with both OSes, not conjecture on how I have read that they work.

Chromebooks may come with an SSD but it's only 16 GB, which is PUNY. My phone has more internal storage than Chromebooks. The beauty of Windows is that it offers you choice - you can have a huge 500 GB mechanical HDD for storage, and a smaller 32 GB SSD for less than $45 if you so wish. Also, internal storage is better than cloud storage in about 99% of all scenarios I can think of.
Again, find me a laptop priced comprable to a Chromebook with two hard drive bays to accomplish this scenario you have laid out. I'm willing to bet it doesn't exist. I mean, the Acer C720 is $199. You'd have to find a laptop with two hard drive bays for less than $230 for the C720 and this mythical dual hard drive, ultra portable, affordable Windows laptop you are describing to be part of the same budget minded conversation. I never use a laptop, Chromebook or Windows, without an internet connection, so for me, cloud storage works nearly as good as local storage 100% of the time.

I understand this, but one of the points I (and others) have been making the entire thread is that you do not have to mess with settings in Chrome. It is ease to use, ready to go out of the box. That is part of the appeal of a secondary machine.

I agree that they are good in that situation, but that is not the only situation they are good in. Why is it so unthinkable to so many people that someone may not want two Windows computers? Someone who has a desktop or large powerful laptop who just wants a portable laptop as a secondary device is also a great use of a Chromebook. Someone who only browses the web, checks email, does word processing/spreadsheets, and going on Facebook would be served better by a Chromebook than a budget Windows laptop 99% of the time. Someone who works somewhere that already uses Google Apps for everything could work with a Chromebook just fine. You may not be the type of person who could benefit from a Chromebook, but to say they are only for the technilogically illiterate is grossly inaccurate.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Would you typically do that within Firefox? I'm confused what point you're making. Its purpose is straightforward. An OS focused on the web and Google's services, not on Windows centric methodologies and objectives. If someone is making the claim that a Chromebook is a windows duplicate, that's stupid. Windows is the problem that ChromeOS solves for a lot of people that just want more simple experience. It doesn't make other OS choices bad, its just a different direction entirely.

My point was that Chrome OS is not a real OS. It can't do other things real desktop/laptop OS's can do.

If you're arguing that Chrome OS is a real OS because you can download apps, then I guess the OS in my Nintendo Wii can be classified as a real OS too.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You can run full Ubuntu on any Chromebook. You don't need an app from the store, you use Cruton, which was developed by Google engineers and is available for download at a variety of places across the web. Here is a guide from Lifehacker if you are truly interested in running an additional OS on a Chromebook. Also, because Chrome OS uses a Linux kernel, you don't have to partition the hard drive to install Ubuntu (or other distro). You also don't have to reboot to switch OSes. You don't even need a virtual machine. You can run both OSes simultaniously and natively on the same hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

then I guess the OS in my Nintendo Wii can be classified as a real OS too.

It is. It wouldn't make a very good OS for your computer, but it is in fact a real OS.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
One of the misconceptions about Chrome OS is that it is "just a browser" it is in fact a full blown Linux distro. If you are into that kind of thing, you can flick on the developer mode, get into your terminal and voila you've got Unix CLI and all the powerful stuff you can do to your system from there. Stuff like crouton exists to make it easier on the end user to run Linux apps but if you're feeling experimental, you can mount the main partition as read/write and do whatever it is you feel like doing to your computer. Even a total noob such as myself can do something like this to write some simple Unix scripts to automate all kinds of fun stuff.

Chrome OS's real critical flaw right now is the lack of software available for it. This isn't a flaw of the OS or evidence that chrome books are "not real computers." The OS just needs more software developed for it natively. If I were to criticize Google on any one point about chrome books, I would say that they should have done a better job of getting some packaged apps ready to go out of the box. Apple never has had this problem despite their "limited" software lineup compared to Windows because they have crazy awesome apps that they ship with their tech.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Chromebooks may come with an SSD but it's only 16 GB, which is PUNY.
Thats so small I don't even see the point of it. At least SD is removable.

Nevertheless, Chromebooks DO have their place.
I suppose. I have yet to see one in real life outside of a computer store though. I see these things all over the media but nowhere in real life. I have even seen more Windows Phones in real life.

Chromebooks are great for technologically illiterate people, people who don't have the knowledge or the patience to make their Windows notebook work the way they want it to.
Yeah, I could see the appeal there. But then you'd have to teach them about concepts like cloud storage too (because limited local storage). I have had a lot of headaches trying to explain that to old people before. They don't get the concept of storing something on the internet. And they complain (loudly) if they cannot access something because the internet is down.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Internal storage still has its place and it will never lose out to cloud storage. The world is not fully connected yet and is not ready for nothing but cloud storage. Any small town you go into with only dial-up for data, or any building with thick concrete walls that you walk into with poor WiFi signal, or any place you go that just doesn't have WiFi, internal storage is better than cloud storage.
Truth.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My point was that Chrome OS is not a real OS. It can't do other things real desktop/laptop OS's can do.

If you're arguing that Chrome OS is a real OS because you can download apps, then I guess the OS in my Nintendo Wii can be classified as a real OS too.

So a linux file server without a GUI or MS-DOS for that matter aren't real OSs? What you are arguing is that ChromeOS is not a real desktop OS. But again, just because it's more limited than a windows dekstop, doesn't make it not a real OS. A linux desktop for example, isn't really suited for a hardcore gamer, but it's a desktop OS. Different OSs are suited for different purposes.

ChromeOS is a basic desktop/laptop OS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.