Chromebooks are awful. And here are some examples why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How about a svelte 11.6 inch 2.6 lb Windows laptop with a touchscreen for $300 instead? Because that's exactly what laptop I use on a daily basis, whether I'm at home or at work in a meeting.

What model is this?

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't get a chrome book, because at some point I'll try to do something and either won't be able to or it'll be frustratingly hard or tedious and I'll be like damn why didn't I just get a laptop, or damn, I could get rid of a laptop if only I could do THIS.

True, a tablet is limited but it is far enough away from a laptop that I simply have no expectation. A chrome book is close enough to a laptop that I'll be annoyed when it does not do what I want a laptop-like thing to do.

Call it the uncanny valley of portable device.

Or as Yoda says, do, or do not. There is no try.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Friendly reminder:

I would just like to stop by and remind everyone that a conversation as such can be had in a friendly manner. No question is stupid when a user is genuinely interested. The internet can often be misleading in tone and meaning, so lets keep that in mind as well :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't get a chrome book, because at some point I'll try to do something and either won't be able to

That's why a Chromebook shouldn't be used as a primary computer. It makes for a good secondary device. There are some things I can't do on my Chromebook and that's fine; that's why I have a desktop (and a laptop and a tablet and a smartphone).

And believe me, you won't make the mistake of confusing a Chromebook for a laptop while in use. I can't imagine ever making that mistake; it's pretty obvious while using a Chromebook that you're not using a regular laptop.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
That was quite the explanation there. I totally understand now why a lack of storage makes sense.

The reason you don't get it is because you can't stop thinking of a Chromebook as a laptop/PC. Storage capacity is low because their intended use is not to store and manage files. It has been stated multiple times in this thread that Chromebooks are not PCs.

Again: CHROMEBOOKS ARE NOT PCS. How many times does it need to be said?

Stop thinking of it as a laptop/PC. Start thinking of it as more like a web terminal.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Or maybe I'll even buy her -gasp- a Surface RT!

Edit: Cancel that, Windows 8 would be too confusing for her, let alone Windows 8 RT.

Opinions aside, I think this is an appropriate comparison - Chromebook vs Surface RT (i.e. ARM-based Windows 8 hybrid device). If a Chromebook is a possible sol'n that fits someone's use case needs, a Surface RT would be an equivalent, worthwhile alternative to consider, and vice versa.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The reason you don't get it is because you can't stop thinking of a Chromebook as a laptop/PC. Storage capacity is low because their intended use is not to store and manage files. It has been stated multiple times in this thread that Chromebooks are not PCs.

Again: CHROMEBOOKS ARE NOT PCS. How many times does it need to be said?

Stop thinking of it as a laptop/PC. Start thinking of it as more like a web terminal.
So it's a tablet with a keyboard. No no touchscreen.

And believe me, you won't make the mistake of confusing a Chromebook for a laptop while in use. I can't imagine ever making that mistake; it's pretty obvious while using a Chromebook that you're not using a regular laptop.
Because you can only do about 1/10th as many things with it?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't get a chrome book, because at some point I'll try to do something and either won't be able to or it'll be frustratingly hard or tedious and I'll be like damn why didn't I just get a laptop, or damn, I could get rid of a laptop if only I could do THIS.

True, a tablet is limited but it is far enough away from a laptop that I simply have no expectation. A chrome book is close enough to a laptop that I'll be annoyed when it does not do what I want a laptop-like thing to do.
This.

That was pretty much my impression as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So it's a tablet with a keyboard. No no touchscreen.

Because you can only do about 1/10th as many things with it?

There are several touchscreen variants, but it sorta sounds like you may like a surface more than a chromebook in the keyboarded tablet range.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
There are several touchscreen variants, but it sorta sounds like you may like a surface more than a chromebook in the keyboarded tablet range.
I have the same issue with the Surface (not to mention the surface is waaaay more expensive for comparable hardware). I love Windows 8 now though. Now that I am able to bypass Metro anyway.

The reason for the thread is that the media has been hyping the crap out of Chromebooks the last year or so, and I am trying to understand why. I kept thinking I must be missing something, but the more I read here, the more it looks like Chromebooks are exactly what they seem; watered down laptops with better battery life (the ones I have seen at the store are not that much ligher than real laptops either).

They obviously have at least a few fans, but I can't see ever recommending one to friends or family aside from some special cases (computer-illiterate grandmothers, ect). It's like the Jitterbug of Laptops.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue with the Surface (not to mention the surface is waaaay more expensive for comparable hardware). I love Windows 8 now though. Now that I am able to bypass Metro anyway.

The reason for the thread is that the media has been hyping the crap out of Chromebooks the last year or so, and I am trying to understand why. I kept thinking I must be missing something, but the more I read here, the more it looks like Chromebooks are exactly what they seem; watered down laptops with better battery life (the ones I have seen at the store are not that much ligher than real laptops either).

They obviously have at least a few fans, but I can't see ever recommending one to friends or family aside from some special cases (computer-illiterate grandmothers, ect). It's like the Jitterbug of Laptops.

I spent a lot of time considering the Asus touchscreen Windows laptops, the Yoga and the dualboot Android/Windows transformer before settling on a Chromebook. The success of the device is totally dependant on the use case.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen security brought up a whole lot. Anybody care to tell me what happens to a Chromebook if a virus pops up for it? Or if it's even possible.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have as much or more security with my tablet, if that is the real issue.

And laptops can host PC-level anti-virus software. I can't remember the last time I got a virus.

Your tablet (not a windows tablet) doesn't have a full fledged desktop browser. It can present in desktop mode, but that's not the same.

And you can guarantee that every windows user runs anti virus?

Bigger question, why do some people care so much that other people enjoy a platform that they don't?

For all the comparisons to surface rt... I think that's a valid comparison in a different way. Haswell Celeron is a better performer than Tegra 3 so the price isn't the same. Outside of Office there's not a huge difference IMO. Form factor of course.

Surface 2 is priced out of comparison IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have as much or more security with my tablet, if that is the real issue.

And laptops can host PC-level anti-virus software. I can't remember the last time I got a virus.

Welp, it's nice to have choices. The market seems to be reacting fairly positive to chromebooks.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Welp, it's nice to have choices. The market seems to be reacting fairly positive to chromebooks.
According to the media it is. I have yet to see even one in real life, outside of a Best Buy.

Not trying to take away anyone's choices. Just trying to see what the big deal is about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.