What was your previous phone? Do you like the Nexus 5 more or less? Why?

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: What was your previous phone? Do you like the N5 more or less? Why?

For everyone coming from iPhone 4/4s, how does the screen compare? I'm looking to replace my 4s with a N5 and I hear that the screen is not the best. If it's at least as good as my old iPhone, I'll be happy. I know the resolution is higher, but how does the color and viewing angles compare?
iPhone screen is very, very clean looking. I've had no problems with the Nexus screen though. In outdoor conditions it is superior, as the brightness is much stronger (i.e. I can use it comfortably at 15% brightness in most all scenarios other than outside on a sunny day).

There is some light bleed at odd angles that I never noticed with an iPhone. Nothing that has affected me in real life situations though.

I guess I'd say that the iPhone screen is more lush and vivid while the Nexus is more accurate and natural looking. Both are great in their own way.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

iPhone screen is very, very clean looking. I've had no problems with the Nexus screen though. In outdoor conditions it is superior, as the brightness is much stronger (i.e. I can use it comfortably at 15% brightness in most all scenarios other than outside on a sunny day).

There is some light bleed at odd angles that I never noticed with an iPhone. Nothing that has affected me in real life situations though.

I guess I'd say that the iPhone screen is more lush and vivid while the Nexus is more accurate and natural looking. Both are great in their own way.

I can agree with this. For some reason, the iPhone screen just looks outright amazing.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Skier1960

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

iPhone 5. I wanted a larger screen and a change in os. No hate, just a change. Great device the Nexus 5. No regrets 1 month in:) The only negative is the Battery (not a deal breaker) But I knew that before buying.

Nexus 5

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

Went from Galaxy Nexus to Nexus5. Felt like trading in a well running Honda for a BMW. Better battery life, faster and just stoopid pretty!
This pretty much sums up my experience exactly. My Gnex was probably the first phone I ever had that didn't feel horribly obsolete specs wise at the end of the 2yrs I had it. I felt it was entirely relevant still and could run any app I wanted. I didn't have issues with space or memory like previous phones either at the end of its life. But the batteries had become so worn out that the damn thing couldn't hold a charge for more than a few hours (I actually kept multiple spare batteries in my purse to swap out throughout the day if I knew I wouldn't be able to top off a charge). Had my nexus 5 a little over a month now and the speed, battery life, and gorgeous screen just blow my mind. And the thing is so damn sleek looking! (I got the white one) :D

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I previously had an international note 2 running aokp 4.3 nightlies. Bought the N5 cause it's damn sexy sleek and kit kat is amazing.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

I guess I'd say that the iPhone screen is more lush and vivid while the Nexus is more accurate and natural looking.
That has more to do with how the iPhone is calibrated than with the display itself. I used the Franco kernel on my Nexus 4 to re-calibrate for higher saturation, and it looked just as good as the iPhone (the iPhone was still better IMO for other reasons, but the Nexus 4 looked just as vivid).

I personally prefer the over-saturated look. When the Franco kernel supports the Nexus 5, I will probably use it again.

Simonna

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I came from Galaxy S3,and Nexus 5 is far better than Galaxy S3 in performance and etc.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Came from (over the last year) an iPhone 5, Droid DNA, Galaxy S4, Moto X, and then the Nexus 5. My wife and I switched to AT&T a couple of weeks ago from Verizon to save us about $55/month on our phone bill when they really started fighting with T-Mobile. In our area it's AT&T or Verizon, there really isn't anyone that's a valid option other than those if you actually want service. T-Mobile is still 2G data here. Anyway, I'm finally content with a phone. I've always loved stock Android and not dealing with all the carrier garbage. My OCD loves the cleanness and smoothness that this phone has. I don't have any issues whatsoever with the camera. It may not be perfect, but it does take a better picture than the Moto X did, so it feels like an upgrade. Battery life is the only downfall and it isn't a complete deal breaker. I knew it wasn't as good as the X going in. It isn't really much worse than my S4 was, so I'm fine with it. But overall, best phone I've ever used. It does what I need, does it well and smoothly, and looks good doing it.

dav8388

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

I am coming from a Galaxy S2 that has a buggered charging port, and a power button that has developed a mind of its own. I just ordered my Nexus 5 today so I have not had a chance to use it except for the store display model. I don't think I will be disappointed.

Crosswhite17

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: What was yojur previous phone? Do you like the N5 more or less? Why?

My previous phone was iPhone 4. Here's what I like about the Nexus 5:
Large screen
Better camera
Swipe keyboard (even though I can type faster on iPhone keyboard)
Full Bluetooth support
Support Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
Mirror display using slimport HDMI adapter
Connecting to a tv makes it virtually a desktop replacement.

Here's what I liked about my iPhone 4:
Build quality
Screen seems more responsive
Screen feels solid compared to Nexus 5 which feels like it flexes more
iMessage is better than hangouts
3G signal does not drop as much even though both are on the same network
Better quality apps
Less adverts.

Both are great phones. If I could have the iPhone 4 with the screen size, camera an Bluetooth connectivity of the Nexus 5 it would be ideal.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm coming from a GS3. The main reason I switched to the Nexus 5 is for quick updates. The phone itself is fantastic, nonetheless. My only complaint so far is the slightly small battery for a 5-incher, but it gets me through my day with no real worries so it's fine. The build quality is also really nice, even if it's not as nice as a Sony phone. But after having used a Samsung phone all this time it doesn't take much lol.

Deadly_Poison630

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Switched from a Galaxy S III. I liked it except it was bloated with features I never used and the battery wasn't that great. After using it outside for the first time I didn't like the battery life, but after flashing franco kernel and cataclysm rom (gotta have those volume music controls lol) I have absolutely no problems.

p g p

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Coming from an old HTC Desire HD, the differences in speed, screen quality, camera, audio (with earphones) are huge. I'd have liked to keep using my previous phone at least 4 years, but I think I was overrating the DHD when I bought it, and during these years I found it a poorly engineered device, with too many flaws (from the screen oleophobic coating, to the camera lens alignment; from the physical buttons durability, to the position of the WiFi antenna).
So I decided to get rid of it, and avoided another HTC device. That's why I chose the Nexus 5: I hope to keep this phone for several years. The only thing that bothers me about the N5 is the built in battery, though I think I'll be able to replace it when necessary ;) I'm loving this phone.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Upgraded my N4 to a N5. I like the size, battery and camera better, but the Build quality of the Nexus 4 was like 3.5 THOUSAND times better. Had a really Hi quality look and feel. The 5 is a functional beast, it doesn't have to be pretty to be awesome

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Upgraded my N4 to a N5. I like the size, battery and camera better, but the Build quality of the Nexus 4 was like 3.5 THOUSAND times better. Had a really Hi quality look and feel. The 5 is a functional beast, it doesn't have to be pretty to be awesome

I will agree that the Nexus 4 looked better than the Nexus 5, but it didn't feel better. The Nexus 5 is still a really attractive device though.

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
IPhone 5s hate it, this one I started to hate it too, or is just maybe I hate technology. Getting old I guess. I Hate my super advance car too lol

Posted via Android Central App

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a note 3. I think over all, I like it more. The nexus is a great phone. But its cheap build really ruins the experience for me. I know it's a budget phone but it still kills the experience. I wish Google would make a premium nexus with better materials. The specs are fine and aren't super important.

The build matters more to me. The buttons are rough and they rattle. The micro USB port wiggles and makes me feel like it will stop working any day now. Both the nexus and note 3 are great phones. I love stock android on the nexus and the camera takes great pictures. I also don't miss the bloatware on the note 3.

But for me the note 3 was a better experience over all. I love the screen, the camera and even the s-pen I rarely used but when I did I loved it.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I used to have a note 3. I think over all, I like it more. The nexus is a great phone. But its cheap build really ruins the experience for me. I know it's a budget phone but it still kills the experience. I wish Google would make a premium nexus with better materials. The specs are fine and aren't super important.

The build matters more to me. The buttons are rough and they rattle. The micro USB port wiggles and makes me feel like it will stop working any day now. Both the nexus and note 3 are great phones. I love stock android on the nexus and the camera takes great pictures. I also don't miss the bloatware on the note 3.

But for me the note 3 was a better experience over all. I love the screen, the camera and even the s-pen I rarely used but when I did I loved it.

I think that you may be interested in the Google Play Editions then if you want a more premium phone with stock Android. HTC and Samsung came out with their variants last year. They will probably do the same this year as well.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Moto X. I love the Nexus 5 but sometimes when I pick up my wife's X I miss the palmabilty of the X. It does feel so good in the hand :)