Nexus 6/X or Note 4?

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the G Flex with a 6 inch screen. The difference in screen size is non-existent when the on-screen buttons are up on the G Flex.

I've had a few Nexus phones (Nexus S 4G and Nexus 5) and the Note 2, and I will be going with the Note 4.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
These are the 2 phones I am debating too! I am coming from an iPhone and am so torn. I was all set to get the nexus 6 for the clean stock android experience and quick updates but I fell in love with the note 4 screen. I have read horror stories of touchwiz which is making this a tough decision.

Don't believe all the touch wiz haters I've had a lot of phones but I always come back to samsung rocking a note 3 right now and since they sell more phone then anybody um not the only one I love how colorful there ui is

Posted via Android Central App

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have read horror stories of touchwiz which is making this a tough decision.

Horror stories?! Really? I've had the Samsung Galaxy S3 for two years now. TouchWiz is not really bad, just different. I've noticed no lag. Best smartphone I've ever had.

Put Nova Launcher on and you'll hardly notice TouchWiz is there. And, yes (for another post), the S-Pen works just fin with Nova Launcher (I have the Samsung Note Pro 12.2" too with Nova on it - no issues).

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The nexus stock Android experience is super nice -- with a phone. With phablet such as this, I really think the S-Pen and "gimmicky" features make the Note 4 shine over plane jane Android. KitKat just doesn't offer anything extra that bigger phones can take advantage of.

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The nexus stock Android experience is super nice -- with a phone. With phablet such as this, I really think the S-Pen and "gimmicky" features make the Note 4 shine over plane jane Android. KitKat just doesn't offer anything extra that bigger phones can take advantage of.

Wonder if that changes on android L? Possibly new unannounced features for nexus 6.

dankev

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Here are the advantages of each, as far as my preferences and things that matter to me. This is all based on rumored specs, of course.

Nexus 6:
Software (I hate TW on my Note 2, even with Nova. I much prefer stock on my Nexus 7)
Updates
Price
Slightly bigger screen
Front speakers

Note 4:
Removable battery
SD card
Better camera (probably)

I don't ever use my S pen. Ever. I thought I might, but it never happened. Same deal with the multitasking software. I'm leaning heavily toward the Nexus, if it's what the rumors say.

Also, for those wishing for 64 bit, what differences do you expect? I'm admittedly no engineer, but everyone who seems to know what they're talking about says it's not going to change performance for quite some time.

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't mean this to be argumentative but just trying to understand touch wiz better. From reddit people are saying that is TW is based on an old android OS and is not inline with the latest android design. Here is a post. I am interesting to here your take on it:

- Gaudy Gingerbread-esq theme

- Sound effects that wear out their welcome fast

- Unnecessary tawdry transitions

- Memory hog

- Update hindrance

- Bad alternatives to stock apps

- Traces of bad skeuomorphic design

- introduces a inconsistent design language to a ecosystem that has a somewhat established design language

- A panoply of useless settings and features that create confusion and clutter in the settings

Google Play Edition for life

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I have Note 4 preordered but am kinda hoping Google announces the new Nexus before the 17th. I'd like to compare both before receiving the Note.

Sent from my LG G3

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Give me stock android any day. Besides, Nexus devices have the best custom rom support on the planet. You can have your bells and whistles while still having a stock feel.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Note 4. And I'll be ditching my nexus 5 for it. Quad hd and s pen make all the difference. Vanilla android is some what over rated. I think you get far more functionality from touch wiz.

Posted via Android Central App

Vanilla android/Nexus is SO overrated its not even funny! I actually like touch wiz.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am going with the Note 4 ... I have been waiting for the new Note so I can get a new phone (yes I have a Note 3 but I like to upgrade often haha).

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Vanilla android/Nexus is SO overrated its not even funny! I actually like touch wiz.

I will be upgrading from the Nexus 5, Stock android is simple, fluid and fast with minimal to no lag what so ever however it can get to be a bit boring at times and I no longer wish to hack and root. I was strongly considering the Iphone 6+ but after playing with that thing for all of 10 minutes, I put it down and walked out, IOS is simply BORING AS ****. I don't know how or why people shell out out the $$ they do when there are truly better alternatives but hey that's another thread. I will be giving touchwiz a try, some love it, some hate it but I will give it a chance,

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I will be upgrading from the Nexus 5, Stock android is simple, fluid and fast with minimal to no lag what so ever however it can get to be a bit boring at times and I no longer wish to hack and root. I was strongly considering the Iphone 6+ but after playing with that thing for all of 10 minutes, I put it down and walked out, IOS is simply BORING AS ****. I don't know how or why people shell out out the $$ they do when there are truly better alternatives but hey that's another thread. I will be giving touchwiz a try, some love it, some hate it but I will give it a chance,
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I've been Nexus or GPE since I switched to AT&T in February. While it is nice to have no bloat, and very little issues, it gets really boring and is honestly bare bones. It's a pretty plain smartphone, unless you're into rooting, which I'm not. I also wanted to try the new iPhone 6 Plus and I just don't think it's worth it. Plus it's huge with no real bonus to the extra real estate.

My wife recently got an S5 and I actually like some of the changes to TouchWiz. It is still a bit bloated, but has a lot of really nice additions over stock. Plus I really want a top of the line camera and great battery life. I think it'll probably be a Note 4 for me. I still like Nexus, but I would need L to add some more functionality for me to stick around - or be so insanely cheap that it doesn't make sense to switch.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I've been Nexus or GPE since I switched to AT&T in February. While it is nice to have no bloat, and very little issues, it gets really boring and is honestly bare bones. It's a pretty plain smartphone, unless you're into rooting, which I'm not. I also wanted to try the new iPhone 6 Plus and I just don't think it's worth it. Plus it's huge with no real bonus to the extra real estate.

My wife recently got an S5 and I actually like some of the changes to TouchWiz. It is still a bit bloated, but has a lot of really nice additions over stock. Plus I really want a top of the line camera and great battery life. I think it'll probably be a Note 4 for me. I still like Nexus, but I would need L to add some more functionality for me to stick around - or be so insanely cheap that it doesn't make sense to switch.
I can agree with you 100%. I have a nexus 7 to keep me interested in stock android if I feel like tinkering but phone reasons I really want a better camera and battery life. The IP6+ is just way too overpriced for a bunch of nothing IMO. No pen, dual apps, qhd screen, N4 has bigger battery, etc,etc but the N4 costs much less. Just more bang for ya buck! I will have to adjust to TW but I think it will be an easy curve

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I can agree with you 100%. I have a nexus 7 to keep me interested in stock android if I feel like tinkering but phone reasons I really want a better camera and battery life. The IP6+ is just way too overpriced for a bunch of nothing IMO. No pen, dual apps, qhd screen, N4 has bigger battery, etc,etc but the N4 costs much less. Just more bang for ya buck! I will have to adjust to TW but I think it will be an easy curve
The hardest thing I've noticed using my wife's S5 is the settings. There are a billion settings. Other than that, it's the same ole Android with a lot more functionality. I actually got rid of my Nexus 7 because it seemed like I never touched it. I'm hoping the bigger phone works as my phone and tablet. I have a Chromebook for bigger mobile computing needs.

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm all for customization. I have a rooted 2013 Nexus 7 with CyanogenMod 11 running nightly builds. I wouldn't recommend rooting the Note 4 but you can certainly use another launcher. I have a Note II using the Apex launcher and the S pen works fine, and I will probably install the Apex launcher on the Note 4 which I pre-ordered. Having said that, I think Samsung's TW launcher gets a bad rap. I have friends and relatives who are very happy with TW on their Samsung devices and I think they would be overwhelmed by the options offered by launchers such as Apex or Nova.

Last edited:

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Stock Android is amazing. It's quick, cohesive, intuitive, beautiful, and just a pleasure to use in general. With that said, however, it's missing the key features which set the Note apart from it to begin with.

You see, when TouchWiz first came out on the Galaxy I (one) series of phones, it was a mess. It was a resource hog and had all sorts of annoying things that came along with it. It's gotten better (slighty in some cases) with every new iteration.

We are at a point now where TouchWiz is beginning to finally be what we wanted it to be in the beginning. It's not completely there yet, but I think the step it went with the GN4 is certainly in the right direction with its material design (Android L) influence.

I've spent considerable time -- but not owned -- every flagship Samsung Android device ever since owning the Sammy Moment on Sprint, and when I played around with the GN4 display at Best Buy it was the first time I could really say to myself that I thought the UI was great.