Nexus 5 with Lollipop impressions

Birk Binnard

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had it on my Nexus5 for about 2 hours. It looks like there might be an improvement to the cell tower reception - previously I was getting only one bar but with Lollipop I get 2. I'm on the Sprint network in an area that does not have LTE.

The other noticeable thing is there is now a transparent shaded bar at the bottom if my home screen just like the one at the top - where the notification icons are located. This may be a function of my launcher - I use the Go launcher.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You can get the Holo theme back on the keyboard in the settings.

Posted via the Kick-*** Android Central App

Thanks! Running dark Holo theme again!

I noticed that encryption is not enabled by default like it is on the Nexus 6. Anyone flip the switch? I do not want to take a performance hit. Also window, transition, animator were reset to 1.0. I keep them off. Bluetooth works well in the car and I set up smart lock on my car bluetooth and my pebble.

Color inversion under accessibility is interesting.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

I noticed that encryption is not enabled by default like it is on the Nexus 6. Anyone flip the switch? I do not want to take a performance hit. Also window, transition, animator were reset to 1.0. I keep them off. Bluetooth works well in the car and I set up smart lock on my car bluetooth and my pebble.

I hear that there is a massive hit on read and write speeds, so I'm not enabling encryption until they can figure that out.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

There appears to be a slight performance lag but its nothing you can't live with.

andydba1

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sideloaded last night. This phone is smooth as ever. Haven't had enough time to check on battery life, but it feels like it may be slightly better. My US Bank app is crashing every time I try to log in, even after a re-install.
Overall, the look is so much cleaner and I love the notifications on the lock screen. No option for a silent mode is very curious and annoying. I would assume enough people will complain about this to bring it back.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Battery performance is definitely better. I haven't had the kitkat bug that used to hang the battery with Google Services since updating.

Other than this, I love the visual improvements, how the status bar adopts to the theme color of the foreground app, and the new security options (namely that screen lock by pattern etc. can be disabled when near a trusted device or network). I am thoroughly enjoying Lollipop!

Jamie_tnt

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Not liking the fact that you can't have a true silent mode with the led light active. The none mode is the only way to achieve silent bit it doesn't display the led.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not liking the fact that you can't have a true silent mode with the led light active. The none mode is the only way to achieve silent bit it doesn't display the led.

"None" = do not disturb. The light would disturb. :p

But I do agree, I wish you could silent and still have the light. It would be nice.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Really liking L so far, animation transitions are nice, lockscreen notifications rock and everything just seems fluid as a whole. Sad the OK google via screen off (ala moto) doesn't work.

Posted via the Android Central App

avssarav

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I just got an update from Android for Lollipop on my Nexus 5. I did update but i get a weird problem of not able to make call. whenever i try to make an outbound call, i get a message 'call not sent'. Did anyone face the same issue and do someone have a remedy ?

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
My initial impressions on 5.0:
-The animations are fast, and the system is still buttery smooth. Some of the animations may make things feel like they take longer or are slower.
-I like how the auto-brightness can have a set brightness now, so you don't have to choose between having the brightness set, or auto-brightness on.
-It's about time lock-screen notifications were done right in stock android.
-It's about time lock-screen phone and camera access were done right in stock android.
-It's about time drop down menu quick toggles were done right in stock android. You can just swipe down twice now instead of having to press a button.
-The task switcher makes it easier and quicker to flick through a large number of recent apps. This is good because recent apps do not disappear after rebooting the phone now.
-I don't like how chrome tabs were added to recent apps. This feature is easily disable though.
-I hate that the easter egg includes a flappy bird clone. That game is already infuriatingly addictive and I don't need the temptation of knowing that it is accessible on my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigD