Am i expecting too much from phones these days?

rafiki121

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys so this is my 3rd samsung 6 edge after the first two having battery issues (or maybe not). I got the phone yesterday came with 53%. within 4 hrs of very light usage it dropped to 10%. I had to go out so i did a quick charge for about 10 min. Charged it again when i got home. this morning at 10 i unplugged it used it lightly mainly just texting and probably 20 min of gaming. it died on me around 4 pm. I charged it up again. Now after 30 min of very light texting. a 3 min phone call, it dropped to 90%. Am i expecting too much from phones these days?

I tried everything that was recommended. I did a factory reset once i got the phone. I disabled wifi calling, lowered the screen brightness to like 25%, turned off bluetooth, wifi, gps.

Any input would be very helpful. thank you

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys so this is my 3rd samsung 6 edge after the first two having battery issues (or maybe not). I got the phone yesterday came with 53%. within 4 hrs of very light usage it dropped to 10%. I had to go out so i did a quick charge for about 10 min. Charged it again when i got home. this morning at 10 i unplugged it used it lightly mainly just texting and probably 20 min of gaming. it died on me around 4 pm. I charged it up again. Now after 30 min of very light texting. a 3 min phone call, it dropped to 90%. Am i expecting too much from phones these days?

I tried everything that was recommended. I did a factory reset once i got the phone. I disabled wifi calling, lowered the screen brightness to like 25%, turned off bluetooth, wifi, gps.

No, you're not. These Flagship devices cost $1000.00. They should just work properly just like anything else that you'd buy for $1000.00.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
No, you're not. These Flagship devices cost $1000.00. They should just work properly just like anything else that you'd buy for $1000.00.

My position exactly, I don't care if it's a rush roll-out, open source blah, Lollipoop blah, Sammy blah. Who cares, this is a work tool, all my other tools work just fine in my business. I have to admit, there's a certain draw to iPhones but I just can't get myself to become one of the sheep.

rafiki121

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm really contemplating to see if i should return this phone and just get the S6. I have till tomorrow before i get charged with the restocking fee

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Did you use the tips on this site to help with battery life? I've disabled apps, cut down screen brightness and those sort of things and my battery life on my s6 is outstanding!

It is 8:30pm now. I pulled it from the charger at 6:00am and i have 56% left. I own a business and use this thing all day long...i fail to believe i am in the minority with battery life.

I'm sorry you're having problems but did you do some of the things mentioned around here?

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You could swap it out for an S6 but honestly the phones are identical other the curved screen and the Edge having a battery that is a tiny bit larger, though not big enough to make any sort of difference. You'd likely have the same issues with the S6, especially if you have already done 3 swaps. What do you battery usage stats look like? Determining what it hitting you hardest is a good step is seeing how well the issues could be mitigated.

If you're on T-Mobile and cell standby is your number one usage and you've followed all the tips located in some of the threads here then it would likely be a waiting game until 5.1 or 5.1.1 comes out and there isn't any guarantee that will 100% correct everything. At it's core Lollipop is facing bugs with battery drain and a memory leak issues (a memory leak that 5.1 does not even fix) and it turns into a waiting game but this is something all the 2015 flagships could face. It's been seen on the M9, the Nexus 6, will very likly happen on the G4, and 2014 phones with Lollipop pushed to them could see it. My M8 barely made it past 5 or 6 hours of light to moderate use before giving up after Lollipop. WiFi calling and VoLTE seems to exacerbate these cell standby issues for whatever reason, which means T-Mobile and Sprint are facing the brunt of that issue.

Android phone can also take a few days to a week before battery life settles down. I can't give you an explanation for why, but I and many other have seen that.

If Google Play services or Google services are some of your top battery drains you'll want to make sure you have the latest Google Play Services version. If you download the Google Wear application from the Play Store then it will trigger the Play Services update if you need it. The new Play Services version is not a cure all though, issues still exist.

The hardware of the S6 is sound, we've seen this with people not having issues with bugs or having less issues getting perfectly fine screentime, but the software behind it is holding it back. It's something Google must address and likely will in the months to come. Yes people will go on about how if there was a bigger battery it all be great, but that's a brute force hardware solution to a software problem. Your 3,000mA is still going to drain faster then it should if the software is dragging it down, you just might get an extra hour or so out of it. It also excuses Google for saddling OEM's with buggy software and that can't happen.

The core of it is: are you willing to wait until the Lollipop issues are corrected or is the S6 in it's current state flat our not acceptable? If it isn't, then look at another phone. There is no shame in that. If the S6 in it's current state is not working for you then by all means find a phone that does. It's your money, spend it wisely and on what serves you best. If you are OK with waiting for the software issues to get corrected then cool, many of us here are happy to help try and mitigate the issues people are seeing.

In the end do what works best for you. The battery life issues people are seeing are legitimate and real issues, ones that Google has no choice to address as more and more phones launch with Lollipop and the issues spread. On the other end the issue isn't as simple as 'S6 sucks/tiny battery!' that a lot of people like to just toss out. As you said, a phone this expensive should work out of the box. At the moment, for quite a few people, it does not. And that is a shame as the S6 is a hell of a phone.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You could swap it out for an S6 but honestly the phones are identical other the curved screen and the Edge having a battery that is a tiny bit larger, though not big enough to make any sort of difference. You'd likely have the same issues with the S6, especially if you have already done 3 swaps. What do you battery usage stats look like? Determining what it hitting you hardest is a good step is seeing how well the issues could be mitigated.

If you're on T-Mobile and cell standby is your number one usage and you've followed all the tips located in some of the threads here then it would likely be a waiting game until 5.1 or 5.1.1 comes out and there isn't any guarantee that will 100% correct everything. At it's core Lollipop is facing bugs with battery drain and a memory leak issues (a memory leak that 5.1 does not even fix) and it turns into a waiting game but this is something all the 2015 flagships could face. It's been seen on the M9, the Nexus 6, will very likly happen on the G4, and 2014 phones with Lollipop pushed to them could see it. My M8 barely made it past 5 or 6 hours of light to moderate use before giving up after Lollipop. WiFi calling and VoLTE seems to exacerbate these cell standby issues for whatever reason, which means T-Mobile and Sprint are facing the brunt of that issue.

Android phone can also take a few days to a week before battery life settles down. I can't give you an explanation for why, but I and many other have seen that.

If Google Play services or Google services are some of your top battery drains you'll want to make sure you have the latest Google Play Services version. If you download the Google Wear application from the Play Store then it will trigger the Play Services update if you need it. The new Play Services version is not a cure all though, issues still exist.

The hardware of the S6 is sound, we've seen this with people not having issues with bugs or having less issues getting perfectly fine screentime, but the software behind it is holding it back. It's something Google must address and likely will in the months to come. Yes people will go on about how if there was a bigger battery it all be great, but that's a brute force hardware solution to a software problem. Your 3,000mA is still going to drain faster then it should if the software is dragging it down, you just might get an extra hour or so out of it. It also excuses Google for saddling OEM's with buggy software and that can't happen.

The core of it is: are you willing to wait until the Lollipop issues are corrected or is the S6 in it's current state flat our not acceptable? If it isn't, then look at another phone. There is no shame in that. If the S6 in it's current state is not working for you then by all means find a phone that does. It's your money, spend it wisely and on what serves you best. If you are OK with waiting for the software issues to get corrected then cool, many of us here are happy to help try and mitigate the issues people are seeing.

In the end do what works best for you. The battery life issues people are seeing are legitimate and real issues, ones that Google has no choice to address as more and more phones launch with Lollipop and the issues spread. On the other end the issue isn't as simple as 'S6 sucks/tiny battery!' that a lot of people like to just toss out. As you said, a phone this expensive should work out of the box. At the moment, for quite a few people, it does not. And that is a shame as the S6 is a hell of a phone.

Spot on. Glad other people understand this.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Batteries will get a bit better with time, but battery life is entirely dependent on what you are doing, what apps you run and whats running the background. We use them, we charge them, we use them more and more. Its normal. I am planning to have a battery case, not because I think the battery life is terrible, but because I don't want to have to worry about it, recharge on the fly and not feel like I have to wait.

I have owned countless Samsung devices, and always bought a spare battery, and I can count maybe 2 times I actually used the spare battery, I stopped buying them because it was a waste of money and Samsung was always LATE in getting them out the door.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

And let me take a wild guess here...a flagship device that lives up to all the standards is an iPhone of course right? Seems like your common point in all the threads ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
And let me take a wild guess here...a flagship device that lives up to all the standards is an iPhone of course right? Seems like your common point in all the threads ;)

Huh? Not sure I'm following you. I LOVE my S6 and I've said it over and over again. It's my daily driver. So many awesome things about the S6. I agree with everything said by cwise222 above.

But the battery drain issues that so many people are having (likely Lollipop related) is inexcusable for a $1000.00 device, no matter the brand. It's a lot of money (at least to me). That's my point.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
But the battery drain issues that so many people are having (likely Lollipop related) is inexcusable for a $1000.00 device, no matter the brand. It's a lot of money (at least to me). That's my point.

It's a GREAT point too. Everyone's getting defensive over this but we as consumers have a right to purchase an expensive product and have it work well. 2.5hrs screen time out of the box is absolutely absurd no matter who's fault it is.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Huh? Not sure I'm following you. I LOVE my S6 and I've said it over and over again. It's my daily driver. So many awesome things about the S6. I agree with everything said by cwise222 above.

You're one of the few going off on how much better the iPhone is...over and over again. You own both so I'll take your word for it, my wife only has a 5S and its battery is subpar compared to my S6. I agree that the battery should drain issues like cell standby (and other software related bugs) are not acceptable, but we have to remember the size of the small battery and should be considered in the factor of deciding to get an S6 or not. I bought the S6 knowing it had a smaller battery, i preferred the smaller/sleeker design so i knew what i was getting into. But as stated, if the problem is software specific i feel for those who are suffering.

Really, my comment was a smirk joke more than anything i didnt mean anything rude by it :)

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

When you first got the phone and unpacked it did you charge it fully to 100% because that is what you're supposed to do....

Sent from my Nexus 7

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Well it's true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord