Note 5 not always fast charging

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There's probably something wrong with port. One of these days I'm just going to call Samsung. Unless they exchange it I'll probably just make due with using some extra force or use wireless vs having it sent for repair... as long as it still charges

Posted via the Android Central App

If you don't call Samsung, they don't know and then it takes longer for a fix to be done. After a certain number of complaints, it triggers something so they start looking into it.

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a question to all of you. I noticed something weird today. Even if i unplug and plug back in the charger and it finally says Fast Charging it still charges slow. Had 40% when i plugged in. It says fast charging time until full 1 hour 29 mins. When from 0 it usually takes 1 hour 9 mins. I went to shower for 10 minutes and gained only 3% on fast charge. Wtf?

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that cable charging remaining time was same as fast charging on 90 percent battery when i replug it to get fast charging.. fast charging is a software trick i think, not a hardware...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that cable charging remaining time was same as fast charging on 90 percent battery when i replug it to get fast charging.. fast charging is a software trick i think, not a hardware...

I've tested it and if it doesn't say fast charging the actual time is different. It has taken over 1 hour at 50% when it doesn't says fast charging.

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I think i found the reason. Its a dodgy cable that comes with note. I kept same charger but changed cable to another one i had in my house a thicker and higher quality one. Charging all week always detects fast charging. With stock one hit or miss

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Waaooo the same with me bro.. i changed my cable 3 days ago i had a Nokia n8's cable at home.. now i charging with that cable and no issue with fast charging since yet.. always fast charging now

Saad_Nazim

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
This thread is so interesting. I just recently bought Note-5, and have charged it twice it was fast. But just while ago sitting in a café I plugged it in and to my surprise the approximate time to full was around 4h 40m. I had to plug it in another socket to get it back to fast charging.

Also, after going to the thread I feel it's not about how much charging you already possess since I was 10% when this happened so it doesn't really make sense. This certainly seems more like software bug than a plug issue because had it been something to do with the plug it wouldn't have gone back to fast-charging.

I just really hope this doesn't grow up to be a major issue, cause that pretty much means 4h 40m to charge this bad boy up :0

Saad_Nazim

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Do this you'll know perhaps. switch the phone off and charge it if you get that "lighting" symbol you're getting the fast if not then it's the usual 4h 40m

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I put my note 5 on the white oem supplied charger tonight and it didn't go into fast charge mode. After reading the post here I unplugged it several times and still didn't work. The phone was at 38% charge. I pulled the black USB cable from my useless Samsung wireless charger hockey puck which BTW is a lot thicker and the prong is about a 1/16th of a inch longer and plugged it in to the white base and it was instantly showing fast charging. Put the white cord back on... just standard charging.

Now to me this means either the USB port on the Note is bad, or the cable is, or even a possibility of both. So it isn't a software issue

This ticks me off.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I put my note 5 on the white oem supplied charger tonight and it didn't go into fast charge mode. After reading the post here I unplugged it several times and still didn't work. The phone was at 38% charge. I pulled the black USB cable from my useless Samsung wireless charger hockey puck which BTW is a lot thicker and the prong is about a 1/16th of a inch longer and plugged it in to the white base and it was instantly showing fast charging. Put the white cord back on... just standard charging.

Now to me this means either the USB port on the Note is bad, or the cable is, or even a possibility of both. So it isn't a software issue

This ticks me off.

All cords work perfect on my Note 4 for fast charging and none worked on my Note 5. I used the Note 4, S6 Edge and Note 5 cords and charging blocks.

I traded my phone and now all cords are working fine on my N5. It seems to be an odd issue. Everyone does need to report it to Samsung. I'm not even sure if it is a T-Mobile thing or all carriers.

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The phone on fast charge charges in about 1 hour 10 minutes. On standard charge about 2 hours something. Fast charging will shop up on any percentage I had it show up at 60-70-80%. I still have a feeling it is the cord. Since I changed to higher quality it never failed me. Must be cord on maybe the connector on the cord. Don't think it is a phone issue.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I used the same charger cord, same charging block and sometimes switched up the block and cord, on the Note 4 and didn't have a fast charge problem. Only fast charge problem was with the Note 5.

Also one of the cords got very hot at the plug into the broken N5, cord hasn't heated up once on my Note 4 or new Note 5.

knowledge_6

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that when i use my Wife's S6 Fast charger it doesn't work.. i just read in this thread and others that the Note 5's wall adapter is a different voltage?

but everytime i used my note 5 adapter by my bed it would say FAST CHARGING.. till last night!! i forget the percentage but i think it was like 44%?
i'm on ROGERS...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that when i use my Wife's S6 Fast charger it doesn't work.. i just read in this thread and others that the Note 5's wall adapter is a different voltage?

but everytime i used my note 5 adapter by my bed it would say FAST CHARGING.. till last night!! i forget the percentage but i think it was like 44%?
i'm on ROGERS...

My Note 5, 4 and S6 charger all did fast charge on my phone until I started having the issue. Now they all work fast charge on my new one.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
My fast charge works from start to finish now using the different cable . It doesn't slow down after 80% but takes it right up to 100%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload05