Unable to rotate videos in Google Photos

blahraptors

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
When I try to edit videos in Google Photos, the app attempts to open them for a second but then crashes, stating "error loading video". The videos play normally though. Anybody else experience the same problem? Maybe someone can try taking a video and rotating it to see if the problem is specific to my device?

I thought it was a compatibility problem because I disabled some Google apps, but I've enabled Google+ and Google Movies with the same result. I've also tried restarting the phone, clearing all opened apps, and trying different videos without success.

Please help, thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are the videos saved to Internal Storage or the SD card? If the latter, see if it works if you move them to Internal Storage first.

blahraptors

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
From the default LG camera app. Since my friend's phone had the same problem, I reckon that the problem must be present in everybody else's phone as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What if you go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu, then Reset All App Preferences? This will re-enable all apps, in case there's something you disabled that's important and that you forgot about.

blahraptors

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
No go, unfortunately. I'll email the Google Photos dev team, but any other ideas in the meantime? I'm a bit worried that I can't find a similar question posted anywhere on the internet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was able to rotate videos on my Nexus 6P using Google Photos. Are these completely standard videos you took, or are there any kinds of special tweaks that the LG camera can do to videos while you're taking them?

blahraptors

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Well, that's why I think the problem has to do with the G4 (and not just mine specifically). Everything is stock at the moment except for Nova Launcher.

blahraptors

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Hmm interesting... I don't want to reset my phone just yet because I spent a lot of time getting it set up. I'll await a response from Google and report back. Thanks!