Netflix apk that streams!! EDIT: Not working ANYMORE

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Seeing this did go viral and Netflix pushes M$ we could be looking at:

12001 ERROR_INTERNET_OUT_OF_HANDLES
No more handles could be generated at this time.

In other words. The Android army has crashed their servers. :)

Last edited:

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I tried to get this working on my Droid X Wednesday evening (obviously with no luck) and was surprised to check my email and see this below. Apparently something triggered something on their end.

Recently you may have had trouble instantly watching TV episodes or movies due to technical issues.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. If you attempted and were unable to instantly watch TV episodes or movies yesterday, click on this account specific link in the next 7 days to apply a credit to your next billing statement. The credit will be 3% of our $7.99 a month plan that lets our members instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies. Credit can only be applied once

EVO-lutionary

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Its called viral advertising ya'll. They "leak" this and a few minutes later it's everywhere. Thousands of people with android devices who previously had no need for it go and sign up an account with netflix. They get the free month anyway so why wouldn't they? Then a few hours later Netflix cancels the app out. My guess is that Netflix is hoping that a few thousand of these people will keep the account. After all it really didn't cost them anything. From the standpoint of Netflix, they would personally be ALL OVER releasing an android/iphone app for their service. They on;y want to stream/ship thier movies they have no reason to care what device you watch it on... tv xbox pc phone it's all the same to them. It's the cell carriers that have been ****-blocking netflix.

As for the "Android Army" crashing their servers, that's a little far fetched. Netflix has the bandwidth to stream to a few MILLION people every day, a few thousand of the most geeky android users(those here in these forums like us) aren't gonna make a dent.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
As for the "Android Army" crashing their servers, that's a little far fetched. Netflix has the bandwidth to stream to a few MILLION people every day, a few thousand of the most geeky android users(those here in these forums like us) aren't gonna make a dent.

With almost 50 pages of search results talking about the leak I think it may be more than a few thousand users.

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
If only someone could tell us how to get a Netflix activation code for the Evo?
We could be in business

The only way you get activation codes are with devices that Netflix is partnered with like Xbox, PS3, mostly all wireless TV and DVD players

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The only way you get activation codes are with devices that Netflix is partnered with like Xbox, PS3, mostly all wireless TV and DVD players

Why I posted the above?

Do you think the activation code could have something to do with a certain address/code that embedded in say the EVO DRM(Digital Rights Management) support?

Didn't our Evo's get DRM support in our last Dec 15 upgrade,
that allowed us to use the BlockBuster app?

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
For those who haven't tried it, I'll take a minute to plug PlayOn. I currently watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, and my local content, all on my EVO as well as my Wii and PS3. Works great and allowed my to cancel my cable.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I tried to get this working on my Droid X Wednesday evening (obviously with no luck) and was surprised to check my email and see this below. Apparently something triggered something on their end.

This is related to the outage the other night (all streaming was down)...I think Monday. Everyone got this mail, and has nothing to do with this.

For those who haven't tried it, I'll take a minute to plug PlayOn. I currently watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, and my local content, all on my EVO as well as my Wii and PS3. Works great and allowed my to cancel my cable.

Ditto. Netflix and Hulu (and the other few dozen 'channels' PlayOn has) works great on my Evo. While a native app would no doubt be welcome, I don't need it at this point.

cmrz

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
:( Sad face. I really want to stream netflix on my phone. Anyone have any inside info as to when and IF we'll be able to do it on the EVO??

can anyone tell me what this PlayOn stuff is and if it actually works???

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
can anyone tell me what this PlayOn stuff is and if it actually works???

I have been using PlayOn for about two years now, so am pretty familiar with it. I'll try to explain it the best I can.

In a nutshell, it's a media server. It runs on your home PC (so yes, you have to leave your PC on to use it). There are many media servers out there, such as Tversity and Windows Media Center to name a couple.

PlayOn is not free (but does have a fully-functional 2 week trial if you want to check it out). There are several pricing options:
  • $79.99 for a lifetime license,
  • Annual license for $39.99 for the first year, $19.99 each year after that
  • $4.99/month

FWIW, I have a lifetime license, but I was a pretty early adopter and have used it for a couple of years.

Once you install it on your PC (very simple), your devices on your network just pick it up. So in my house, my Wii, PS3, XBOX and FiOS DVR all pick it up. I select the server, then I get an option of about 40 different "channels" such as Netflix, Hulu, Comedy Central, Fox, etc. You still have to have a Netflix account of course. From there it's just a matter of selecting a source and what I want to watch. It takes maybe 30-40 seconds to start, then it just plays normally. What's going on though is your PC (i.e. the server), is connecting, transcoding the audio and video, and sending it to your device. Thus it does use quite a bit of your CPU on your PC.

So, that brings me to the phone. The app is free (but requires the media server on your home PC). The first time you open the app, you have to be on your network to pair the phone with your server. After that, you can stream over 3G/4G or wifi. I have it paired to my EVO and my iPad right now and it works pretty good.

I even made a video of it running on my EVO, but you must IGNORE THE FRAMERATE. I used ShootMe to record it, and it only captured about 2 frames per second. It's much smoother on the phone, but the video shows I'm on 3G and the basic functionality. I will also note the app is much faster in loading the screens over wifi, but wanted to show it worked over 3G. Here's the video: YouTube - PlayOn using HTC Evo.

As much as I love it, it does have some drawbacks. The playback controls (such as rewind and FF) are not nearly as good as a native app would be since it's streaming....you can only watch what's been streamed from the PC/Server thus far. There is no HD streaming: not a big deal on my phone, but I wouldn't use it in place of the apps on my XBOX or PS3 to stream Netflix.

However, it does give me Netflix and Hulu on my phone, which AFAIK is the only way to get them. In fact, at my house, it's the only way I can HULU onto my TV. This is plain old regular Hulu (not that Hulu+ crap you have to pay for).

Their website is www.playon.tv if you want some more info or want to try the trial out.

FWIW, here are some of the 'channels' that I get (a "channel" is really a connection to the website so you can watch the available videos they have). You can get more via another site where they offer plugins that other people develop (www.playonplugins.com). Regardless, here's some that show up for me:

• Netflix
  • Hulu
  • CBS
  • Comedy Central
  • TV.com
  • TBS
  • OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network)
  • Syfy Rewind
  • Adult Swim
  • Spike TV
  • ESPN
  • ESPN3
  • NFL Game Rewind
  • MLB
  • NHL
  • CNN
  • Fox News
  • PBS
  • PBS Kids
  • Nick
  • Cartoon Network
  • Amazon VOD
  • YouTube
  • MTV
  • BET
  • Vevo
  • Pandora
  • My Media (Beta)
  • Cartoons
  • Crackle
  • ...etc

Last edited:
Reactions: packpackpack

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
quick question if the app on the iphone works great can we make that app work on the htc evo?

ad9310c3-3128-e013.jpg