Moto's Bionic LIVES!

kristykat182

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting this. Even though, as of noon today I jumped off the bionic ship and went with the bolt. I just couldn't take the waiting anymore. Plus tiered data played a lot into this. Those who continue to wait for this wonder-phone..I salute you.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For all we know the Targa isnt even real. Maybe thats whats fake. So whos to say Targa even exist. The only pictures that have been released looks very photoshopped.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The guy who originally posted the Targa pictures on HoFo has a pretty solid rep for good info. Go to HoFo and have a look at the Targa pre-release thread for yourself.

Bottom line is all the info we have been operating on is leaks. That if Moto were to fully disclose the full story on the Etna/Bionic that it would likely have a negative impact on stock value and the user's perception of the Bionic itself.

Back to waiting patiently to see if we're getting the Targa/Bionic or Etna+/Bionic....

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
One thing to consider is that, if the new Bionic doesnt contain Bionics original skin, nor does it contain the original specs, but only the name then it isnt the Bionic we knew from CES.
Now if it was only 1 of 2 changes then fine, but this is 2 of 2 changes, the look and the spec. Wouldnt make much sense to still refer to it as the bionic. just IMO.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
One thing to consider is that, if the new Bionic doesnt contain Bionics original skin, nor does it contain the original specs, but only the name then it isnt the Bionic we knew from CES. So why would Moto reference it back to the CES bionic.

Simple: to save face and protect shareholder value. The Bionic was showcased and featured at the CES as the baddest thing with a Moto badge on it. For them to cancel it, would be egg on their face and a bad mark on their reputation.

As I mentioned earlier: the reporters and stock analysts rarely get into the deep guts of what the Bionic is. They only see the highlights: LTE, Dual Core, 4.3" screen - the rest is minutea. The Targa/Bionic could be described the same general way the Etna/Bionic was.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I am only going to say this one more time, but the statement the representative from Motorola made to the wallstreet journal said this in the third paragraph:

"many had speculated that the Droid Bionic was scrapped in favor of another model"

Also, I sent a request to Motorola to ask what they were upgrading and was told "thank you for your inquiry but that information is not public at this time, please continue to check our website for updates."

But when i asked specifically about just the Design, the outside appearance, i received a response almost immidiately. Which i have posted a couple times now.

So, until someone has an actual statement from Motorola that says otherwise, i think its a safe bet to say the Bionic Skin is going to look exactly as it does on their website today.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Snydersweb speaks many truths here but we can go back and forth all day long with people resistant to change and not believing to those who are on the side that the Bionic was in fact scrapped in favor of different hardware but maintaining the Bionic name.

In time the answer will be revealed : )

Sent from my Droid

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Snydersweb speaks many truths here but we can go back and forth all day long with people resistant to change and not believing to those who are on the side that the Bionic was in fact scrapped in favor of different hardware but maintaining the Bionic name.

In time the answer will be revealed : )

Sent from my Droid

It already has been, and you were wrong. The Bionic (hardware AND name) IS NOT dead.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Its easy for these so called rumors to fall into place with the old rumors of Targa replaincg Bionic, because they rumors were so broad and general.

Its entirely possible both phones will be released. Bionic could be delayed for battery fixing, maybe add webtop like moto said they would to all phone released during and after summer.

So ea just because its possible this new article can fall in line with the broad rumors presented a few days ago, doesnt mean it does.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Simple: to save face and protect shareholder value. The Bionic was showcased and featured at the CES as the baddest thing with a Moto badge on it. For them to cancel it, would be egg on their face and a bad mark on their reputation.

As I mentioned earlier: the reporters and stock analysts rarely get into the deep guts of what the Bionic is. They only see the highlights: LTE, Dual Core, 4.3" screen - the rest is minutea. The Targa/Bionic could be described the same general way the Etna/Bionic was.

Not an unlikely scenario, but if true, just a dumb business move. Sure you can fool the olders for a couple of months, but its just terrible in the long run.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Not an unlikely scenario, but if true, just a dumb business move. Sure you can fool the olders for a couple of months, but its just terrible in the long run.

Not at all. The only thing that matters is:
  • Getting a product out that people like
  • Sell the crap out of it
  • Profit!

The whole Etna/Targa thing is an internal thing inside Moto itself. Not every product that starts inside a company necessarily sees the light of day - and often the designs can change up until the last minute.

In the case of hardware, sometimes designs are black flagged and never see light of day. For the Etna/Bionic, Moto needed something to show off at the CES. If not for that, we likely would only know the Etna as the Etna.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
One thing to consider is that, if the new Bionic doesnt contain Bionics original skin, nor does it contain the original specs, but only the name then it isnt the Bionic we knew from CES.
Now if it was only 1 of 2 changes then fine, but this is 2 of 2 changes, the look and the spec. Wouldnt make much sense to still refer to it as the bionic. just IMO.

Let me ask you this. Hypothetically speaking, if the Bionic was re-announced with a new design, Dual Core TI OMAP 4, 1 GIG of RAM, 13 MP camera, 5MP FFC, LTE, 4.3" sAMOLED + screen would you turn it down because it wasn't the Bionic anymore?

Reactions: allan1313

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't care what they call it. Call it Uber Phone call it Bionic. As long as the phone kicks but and does not look like a pile of poo. All I want is a phone with dual core, 1 gig ram, and a great looking screen.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The changes will definitely include "form factor" changes, according to Moto:

Motorola Droid Bionic goes through changes for summer release - Charlotte Smartphones | Examiner.com

May very be true, however i just dont understand the whole email thing. The email or statement the WSJ recieved didnt specify improving the form factor, but this guys recieves in his email the exact same statement but with the additional wording "improved form factor"?

I dont know what to think, however it does look fishy, from this site.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Either way I will be happy!!! There is no need to go back ind forth about it being The Targa or Bionic shell.. It just does not matter as long as we get 1gb DDR2 Ram.. My Personal opinion is that they will just replace the Tegra2 chip and put better ram in the Bionic shell. But like I said I will be very happy no matter what!!!

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Let me ask you this. Hypothetically speaking, if the Bionic was re-announced with a new design, Dual Core TI OMAP 4, 1 GIG of RAM, 13 MP camera, 5MP FFC, LTE, 4.3" sAMOLED + screen would you turn it down because it wasn't the Bionic anymore?

no i wouldnt turn it down, cause im still on a dumb phone. However i will be dissapointed a little bit. Cause the main attraction for me was the form factor. However the goods inside was a huge selling point as well. I wanted both. But with this Targa, i get 1.5 of it. It has amazing specs, but it only looks decent. Much better than Droid X, but still the form leaves alot to be desired.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks Moto is covering up the real reason behind the Bionic's delay? I understand that many rumors are more or less speculation, but this announcement seems to fall perfectly in line with the widespread rumor of late; the Bionic has seemingly unfixable hardware issues.

IMO, Moto is pulling out some nonsense reasoning to justify its delay. I think they're looking to replace the processor (since that's been the alleged issue) and by the time they get the phone operational they'll be forced to upgrade some of the specs to compete with other upcoming android devices. I find it very odd that nobody else seems to feel this way. Is there something I'm missing?

I have been looking forward to this device for quite some time and I am very disappointed in this news. Verizon does not have any other 4g phones coming out in Q2 that is comparable to the Bionic (even in physical attractiveness, let alone specs).

Reactions: mightyfacundo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiSwipe