Wireless Tether 4 Root on Fascinate

Johnny 99

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
No encryption on and no access controls on as far as I can tell and it's on channel 6.
I just went to bed one night and it wouldn't work the following day. There isn't a free trial period with it is there? I have had it installed and working since November with no problems. I'm an over the road truck driver and kind of need to get it working or buy the hotspot service. Any other thoughts?

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Try downloading and installing the newest version manually. The market versions are quirky sometimes. Get it straight from Google HERE. Copy the .apk to your SD card, select it with any file explorer, it should have an install option.

Johnny 99

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I installed new version and now the same message appears with an added, "Is your phone rooted? "
Is it possible for it to become unrooted on it's own?

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Only if you installed an image that didn't have it. Did you get DL09? OTA or with Odin? Do you have the Superuser icon in your app drawer? Do other root required programs like Titanium Backup work?

Johnny 99

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I went to superuser and then to titanium. Titanium said root privileges denied. Does this mean I need to root my phone again?

Last edited:

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I went to supperuser and then to titanium. Titanium said root privileges denied. Does this mean I need to root my phone again?

I had the same issue - it may be as simple as to copy the superuser busy box package to your sd card and flash in recovery - I flashed a new ROM and theme and did not have busybox.. that made Ti Backup and tether not function properly.. I did not have busybox.

Link

Johnny 99

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the titatium update and the busy box but it stilll doesn't give it root privileges.
I guess I'll just have to watch the YouTube video and root the phone again and see if that works. I'll have wait until I get to a truck stop with free WIFI or check an see if the file is still on my laptop.

Johnny 99

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I just re rooted the phone and the message says superuser has given premission. the tether starts but now for some reason the laptop can't sign on. I'm writing this on the truck stops wifi.

Johnny 99

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Alright!! I hit the menu button on my phone with the tether on the screen and an access enable page came up and a message to allow what I think was my laptops IP or what ever you call it and I pushed allow and now it's working. I kept seeing a security shield come up on the bar of the phone when the tether came up. It didn't do that before and I was wondering how to access it. I'm really not computer savy but dumb luck was on my side this time. I still don't understand how the phone became unrooted.
Thanks for the help.

Johnny 99

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to say I'm back again. Seems Verizon sent another update something about an emergency lock fix or whatever. The phone has again became unrooted and when I run the rooting program it pushes the files and then says error, can't find device. It restarts the phone but I'm unable to unlock the phone until I remove the USB cord and stop/start the phone.
Is anyone having this problem with their Samsung Fascinate.
Could Verizon be putting something in to block rooting the phones?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Last I read from Adrynalyne was his advice was against using wifi tethering until he and the other devs get their hands on the source code and can put out some custom kernels. He said if you wanted to do it, go ahead and do it at your own risk as he's not sure how it will interact with these EB01 kernels and what effect it will have.

bboyserum1984

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
samsung fascinate rooted and eb01 froyo im having the same issue where no matter which wifi tether i try it downloads to 4.0 and uploads to 1.0 and stops i need help please

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The market version of wireless tether has always been broken in some way. Get the newest version directly HERE. Copy the apk to your SD card and select it with a file explorer on your phone. You should be prompted to install. Enjoy.

k2caliguy

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
samsung fascinate rooted and eb01 froyo im having the same issue where no matter which wifi tether i try it downloads to 4.0 and uploads to 1.0 and stops i need help please

I'm running sc 2.9 and wireless tether to an acer laptop on windows vista. it works, no problems. depending on where I am, I've hit download speeds from 100 to 500 kb per sec.

if you have good bars, I'd check your network settings on your computer how its connecting. permissions or access. I run unsecured, just connect and go....

you'll get a notification on your phone when your laptop has connected. name of computer and ip address pop up.

jeff_k

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read through this whole thread, but thought I would share my experience. Running barnacle wifi tether, a connection to my ipad worked fine, but to my Win 7 Pro laptop, it would see the barnacle connection but could not connect. Checking a few forums, I found that someone had the same problem, and updated their wifi card drivers (in their laptop). Mine is an Intel 5100, and when I went to the dell website to upgrade, I could not upgrade with their driver. However, when I went to the intel website, I was able to get a driver dated this Jan (2011), and after installing that driver, PC connection works fine.

You might want to update your wifi drivers before giving up!
Jeff

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnathan319