What security patch is the Honor 8 on?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully one of the guys with the Honor 8 can help,but you should also know that honor committed to quarterly security updates

Honor 8 to receive quarterly security patches

This is great news! According to a Huawei employee, the Honor 8 will be receiving security patches, and general improvements at least quarterly for the first year. Updating the phone "in a timely manner" through at least the second year... And "as needed" moving beyond 2 years. I'm very glad to see an OEM make a commitment to ongoing software support. It isn't full on Nexus level support, but it's a heck of a lot better than the other guys' support plan.

What do you think, does this make the phone more appealing? I'm sure the next Nexus will be great, but I don't know if the price difference will be worth it with such similar hardware- may just order one of these!

Really excited to share this #honor8 news! Our customers asked for enhanced software support and we are going to deliver.

Honor is committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers.

From this year we are making a commitment to provide customers with access to new features (at least once every three months during the first 12 months) for up to 24 months following each product launch. We will keep providing access to security and software updates to fix bugs and enhance user experience in a timely manner. Beyond this period we will continue to provide updates in response to any threats to user safety and security. Our goal is to ensure customers have the best and safest possible experience on their Honor device.

https://plus.google.com/+TaylorWimberly/posts/FwiB7hZsGj9

[url]https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eandroidcentral%2Ecom%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D5347536&share_tid=713743&share_fid=4950&share_type=t&share_pid=5347536

ranphi

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
It's on the July security update, which is what it comes with out of the box. There haven't yet been any updates pushed to this phone.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd be very happy to see a security patch soon or emui 5 before the end of the year... But I don't really think we should expect anything until December or January. It only shipped this month, and we've been told to expect updates quarterly- that would put us at the very end of the year or early 2017.

It does take time to rebuild the OS and get it stable, so don't expect the latest and greatest patch level whenever the next update comes, either.

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd be very happy to see a security patch soon or emui 5 before the end of the year... But I don't really think we should expect anything until December or January. It only shipped this month, and we've been told to expect updates quarterly- that would put us at the very end of the year or early 2017.

It does take time to rebuild the OS and get it stable, so don't expect the latest and greatest patch level whenever the next update comes, either.

While just released here, the device was released in China in July. I would expect an update for the device to start rolling out sometime October-November