HP Touchpad or Kindle Fire

noonebutkev

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
need to get a new tablet, and i cant spend over $300
How is the cm7/cm9 on this tablet?
is it worth 250?
The touchpad has a bigger screen, web os, and a camera...
but the kindle fire can be bought for much cheaper...
Thanks...

BakonGuy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Defiantly worth the $250 IMO, that's what I paid and I do not regret it. CM9 runs wonderfully despite being an alpha build, and you can overclock it really far, I keep mine at 1.5ghz but others go all the way up to 1.7. So in the long run it depends on what you want it for. For simple web browsing and casual stuff I'd say the fire, but if you want to keep up with all the techy stuff I'd go touchpad since it's more powerful and it's got webOS dual booted, so when it goes open source you can play with that aswell.

Edit: We have the same amount of posts and the same android devices o.o

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, if you use CM9 on the TP, remember the camera and webcam don't work at all, and WebOS doesn't have skype or oovoo applications. I've been through the same decision these past couple of weeks and ultimately, the Fire got returned and the TP is going up for sale today either here or on ebay. I ultimately decided I wanted a tablet that can do everything from stock. I'm just tired of rooting and romming all day to get something smooth and capable. Ended up getting a Galaxy 8.9 last night and absolutely loving it. Find something around the house you can sell to get that extra $100 and get the Galaxy.

Boopop

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, if you use CM9 on the TP, remember the camera and webcam don't work at all, and WebOS doesn't have skype or oovoo applications. I've been through the same decision these past couple of weeks and ultimately, the Fire got returned and the TP is going up for sale today either here or on ebay. I ultimately decided I wanted a tablet that can do everything from stock. I'm just tired of rooting and romming all day to get something smooth and capable. Ended up getting a Galaxy 8.9 last night and absolutely loving it. Find something around the house you can sell to get that extra $100 and get the Galaxy.

You're right, webOS doesn't have a Skype app. That's because skype's built in, along with webcam support. Just go into the accounts settings and add your Skype account. Then go into messaging and set your Skype status to online. Perhaps if you did some more research you'd find webOS more useful than you had thought!

As for oovoo, this is the first I've even heard of it!

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
You're right, webOS doesn't have a Skype app. That's because skype's built in, along with webcam support. Just go into the accounts settings and add your Skype account. Then go into messaging and set your Skype status to online. Perhaps if you did some more research you'd find webOS more useful than you had thought!

As for oovoo, this is the first I've even heard of it!

Yep, you're right about built in skype. Too bad WebOS just sucks anyhow. The browser is painful and the app selection is worse than a Playbook. Only way the TP is useful is running CM9, and for that, webcam doesn't work, probably never will.

Boopop

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I keep my TP on webOS most of the time, I find the way it handles running apps more intuitive than android. Cards seem a lot more like the windows you get in OSX/Windows/Linux, than the way ICS seems to handle it. Still, ICS for me does a better job of it than Gingerbread did! Admittedly the apps situation for webOS is pretty abysmal but I still prefer webOS to Android, for the moment. However ICS is growing on me.

As for the webcam not working on ICS, I don't really give a damn. It works with Skype on webOS, which is all I'd use it for anyway. Plus using a tablet to do video calls strikes me as bizarre anyway, I'd rather sit in front of my desktop or laptop and sit down for a proper conversation with a nice webcam and mic.

Saying it sucks seems a bit harsh! It has several redeeming features :)

EDIT: As a side note, the fact that you owned a TP but didn't even know it had built in Skype functionality makes me wonder how much you actually know about the OS to say "WebOS just sucks anyhow" =/

gmguk

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I love my TP - not really fussed wiych operating system is on it but loving CM9 so far and it is really getting better with each upgrade.
My partner has a Playbook (cost ?169) which he finds really usefull at work as they all use blackberrys and has just had an update to allow acccess to Android apps, so no doubt he will be spending even longer on it!
I used Webos and liked it but it really was the lack of apps that did it for me - but don't get why people 'hate' it or slag it off so much. Esp now there is a choice with android . . .? :-\

DemonHighwayman

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
For me the kindle would be out of the question, it's a closed off system like ios and I like to have freedom with my tech.

I'm happy with my T-Pad, never had case damage that others have reported, never had wifi issues in android since the second version of cm7 (now on CM9 A2), It overclocks really well (both android and webos happily running at 1.8ghz)

I also think all the android issues with camera, wifi, sound etc will disappear now that HP are giving the CM team the code they asked for.

anon(560890)

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
For me the kindle would be out of the question, it's a closed off system like ios and I like to have freedom with my tech.

I'm happy with my T-Pad, never had case damage that others have reported, never had wifi issues in android since the second version of cm7 (now on CM9 A2), It overclocks really well (both android and webos happily running at 1.8ghz)

I also think all the android issues with camera, wifi, sound etc will disappear now that HP are giving the CM team the code they asked for.

Kindle fire really is a waste of money. I agree with this and post above about galaxy. I like the TP but I got it at the $99 price & also have a nexus. TP has the built-in advantage of having webOS to fall back on in an emergency but cm9 does have its bugs for now. Alpha2 has Netflix now and you can't beat the TP's sound qualities. It beats my nexus' hands down when it comes to listening quality. But if you're going to spend $300, I'd spend a bit more for the galaxy if you want to have Android right out of the box.

DemonHighwayman

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Agreed the sound quality from the beats audio is pretty amazing. And having webos and android makes the tablet way better. I think the next version of android will have code in it so it can be dual booted with windows 8 (which would be great) but we are still quiet far from that and windows tabs' will no doubt be over priced like the ipad is.