CM10 Installation on Touchpad?

anon(630106)

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi
At the risk of getting shouted at:
1. Is CM10 available for the TP
2. Are there any installation instructions on how to install?

I'm running CM 9 at the moment and it runs like a dream. But I'm curious about CM10.

I have searched but can't find anything definitive (except a mention in another post about installing CM10 and it working OK)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Jellybean (CM10) For the HP Touchpad. - webOS Nation Forums

Here you go. I have it on my TouchPad, not too many issues I can't live without. There's a problem with Swift Key not working properly, which forces me to use the stock keyboard, not the end of the world for me. Not sure about the camera, I think it doesn't work (don't use it and don't care to), but that may have been resolved.

You do have to do a clean install, ie completely remove CM9, then install CM10.

anon(630106)

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
#sledge007
Thank you very much for the Link - looks like I have my project lined up for the weekend :D

Does the tutorial deal with how to remove CM9? I haven't found a mention of it in the thread you provided. (and I really don't want to screw up my TP at this point in time).
Also, is there a way to backup settings, programs, etc so I can restore to my new CM10 installation? Titanium backup, etc?

anon(630106)

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, followed the link here:
http://forums.webosnation.com/android-webos/316880-jellybean-cm10-hp-touchpad.html

There are a few additional steps that I had to go through, so here's my list.
1. De-Install CM9 (used How to uninstall Android from your TouchPad | webOS Nation for the instructions)
2. Install CM10. follow the top URL above. There is a video tutorial link on this page which shows how to install a slightly older version. However, the web page also provides links to the latest (at time of writing) versions of the necessary files. So just replace those shown in the video tutorial with the latest versions.
3. Re-install ClockworkMod (it gets de-installed as part of step #1)
4. Use ClockworkMod to install Google Play, which didn't seem to get installed as part of step #2 (even though the zip file was present during install). One of the posts in the thread above provides instructions on how to do this - very easy steps.
5. Use ClockworkMod to take a backup of my TP once CM10 was fully installed (I want to move this backup off the TP at some point, but don't know how to do that yet. So that will be my next task)

Now all of the above has been completed, I now have CM10 installed with all of my apps re-installed. It seems to be very stable (I haven't had any problems yet)

Hope the above information helps anyone else who is in the same position as I was.

Thanks to all those who helped me. :)

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Having switched to Android for my phone, I'm considering this for my TP. Will this replace the webOS on my TP, or is it dual boot? Given the problems I've had with that darn problem with no space to download and no definitive fix, I might prefer having Android alone and not risk the complication of dual boot with that old problem resurfacing. Any advice??

TIA

anon(630106)

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
@davidtm
This will not replace WebOS onyour TP, but will give you the option to dual boot. AFAIK you can't dispense with WebOS altogether.
However, Once all of the above is installed you can configure the TP to boot into Android by default, so you'd never have to use WebOS again, if that's what you want. To do this you need to boot into WebOS (one time) and configure "Cyboot" to set Android as your default boot option (you also have a timeout figure before booting but I would set this to a minimum of one second so that you have the chance to boot to WebOS should things go worng with CM10).

Regarding space, I have a 32GB TP which still has 15GB free, and that's with having loads of stuff downloaded and stored on my CM10 partition. So I wouldn't have thought that there would be an issue in installing CM10. Maybe it's a problem with WebOS? If it is, try resetting it (or totally restoring it with WebDoctor) before installing CM10.

Hope this helps

chaosdivine

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been using CM 9 for about a month (previously to this I used/use webOS and the BB PlayBook) but since finally getting around to upgrading my TouchPad to CM, I have to tell you straight up that I can't believe it's taken me this long to do it. CM 9 is pretty awesome and have one piece of advice: don't try to move all your installed apps over to the faux SD card. There is a 50 app limit and going over this will force the SD Card to unmount and you'll have a real problem getting apps installed to work unless you do some workarounds. In fact, there are workarounds to increase the non-SD card install area. Anyhow, though this isn't likely to trip you up right off the bat, it will most likely rear its ugly head eventually. XDA Forums and RootzWiki have threads specifically on the SD Card issue.

Looking past that point, look forward to less than 30 second boot times...it's so awesome that you can feel free to shut off your TouchPad once more and reboot the old fashioned way without waiting forever. Everything works too. It's pretty darn stable in my opinion but it's for reasons like the SD Card bug that it's not a full on stable release. I don't think that will ever be 100% fixed either because formal support for CM 9 has stopped.

The good news is that just recently JC Sullins (Uber Android Jedi) has released the first CM 10.1 ROM with Bluetooth support. That was the last bastion to CM 10 that I was waiting for before upgrading from CM 9 to 10.1. So it's just a matter of time before they get the bugs worked out before all CM 10 releases get Bluetooth enabled in my opinion.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I installed CM10.1 a month ago and I am glad I did. I did have some trouble with using ACMEinstaller3 to get the larger partition, but once I got it work, CM10.1 (Jelly Bean 4.2.2) works great, better than CM9. Note Bluetooth may not work for you, but I never used it.

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I need some advice, are the most of the quirks ironed out in the most current builds of cm10?

I previously had cm9 for a long while and didn't want to switch to cm10 because BT w/ the HP keyboard was flawless for me and pairing with that is pretty much a dealbreaker for me for word processing purposes.

Currently I have the "CM10 03/04/2012 Build" (courtesy of revkyle) which is mostly bearable and BT works, and of course has a some bugs:

- ASOP browser crashes more often with multiple tabs (+3) open or while watching videos (flash or html5).
- headphone jack doesn't work, speakers do tho.
- it seems to slow down a lot, considering that I regularly clear the cache...recently discovered 'fast reboot' and using it regularly significantly helps keep the TP speedy.
- and other random crashes caused when I change certain settings but that's not high priority.

any advice is well appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Android Central Forums