SD Card - To format as External or Internal? That is the question...

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
As I have never formatted an SD for additional internal storage before, I was wondering what the benefits were...

Normally, I just format it as a removable card.... But can't really say I have needed to remove it before... Other than taking it out to place in a new phone.

So, which is the best way to go?

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
The primary use of adoptable storage is for transferring apps to SD. If you only want to use it for media storage I'd say leave it as external.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I saw where Phil said if you choose "adoptable storage", you can easily change it to external later, if desired....

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Adoptable storage - Android decides what goes where.

Portable storage - you decide what goes where.

I prefer having control over my devices, others like having the devices be in control.

clownstrike

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
If the primary purpose of your card is to hold a pile of media for consumption, then keep it external and put your media on it.
If, like me, the purpose of the card is for a mix of apps, media, whatever, and you don't want to have to bother moving anything around, consider adopted.

The phone will fill the internal storage first anyway, so you can easily change if you start adopted and reconsider before the internal 32gb is full.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez