HTC 10 VS. Samsung S6 - both in hand - AMA

Thomas Bright

May 17, 2016
Visit site
So far after an hour or so:

Build quality goes to HTC for density, though the S6 has a nice, light (but slippery) feel to it. HTC wins in looks department for me. I've always hated that bluish face on the Samsung and the cheap plastic chrome speaker grille.

Screen- I think I prefer the pure whiteness of the HTC. Samsung has always had a weird blue off-angle tone to it that bugged me. I use the S6 on Photo-mode, so the saturation is similar. The default mode was too saturated for my eyes. HTC goes dark off angle, but I prefer that to color-shifting.

Camera- pretty close. S6 is a half second faster opening and focusing, but the HTC has nicer colors. Samsung looks punchy (brighter/sharper/more contrast) at first glance but falls apart as over-exposed over-sharpened on closer inspection. Quick gallery: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=bHo0emVvdWlORVZIN0E5akMyaU9fVkJ3SVc5MUZ3

Headphone Audio TBD. Speakers are about same, but the S6 is way easier to muffle accidentally with one finger.

Software: HTC would have won hands down for if the S6 was still on Lollipop. The MM upgrade I finally recieved 30 days ago made the S6 a lot smoother.

MIsc: I think the headphone port is better on the bottom (s6).

TBD: Fingerprint scanner, battery life, notifications, alarm volumes, music players etc.

scuz

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the S6 and want to go back to HTC with the 10.. My biggest concern is the camera...
I dont use it a lot.. but its also something I wouldnt want a downgrade on..
Think I prefer the HTC looking at that gallery.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the S6 and want to go back to HTC with the 10.. My biggest concern is the camera...
I dont use it a lot.. but its also something I wouldnt want a downgrade on..
Think I prefer the HTC looking at that gallery.

Do it! :)
You'll not miss the Sammy's camera, much.

brdsng

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Which external speaker is louder playing music? Messing around with them in store, my S6 seems quite a bit louder but I guess that could be due to an an older version of youtube on the 10.

Thomas Bright

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Which external speaker is louder playing music? Messing around with them in store, my S6 seems quite a bit louder but I guess that could be due to an an older version of youtube on the 10.

Pretty close to my ears in volume. Quality might be a toss-up or dependant on usage. Just laying on a desk, they're equal for me, but neither is as good as the old M7. I only use the speakers for games, so the HTC is better for me since I'm less likely to cover the speaker with an accidental finger.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally, for me, I would take the 10. However, both phones are wonderful, and if you're a little worried about the HTC camera, you can totally look up photos a user on here took with an HTC 10 camera - they are beautiful!

However, it is your choice and it comes down to your basic needs. Watch a lot of YouTube videos and unboxing reviews! The research will be worth it!

Posted via the Android Central App

Thomas Bright

May 17, 2016
Visit site
A few more thoughts:

Looks like the cameras take different approaches for low light shots:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=WWJtaFg2OGEzTU41X3IxWFNXQ2RjS3JKNDNBbUtn
S6 pulls out more information from the shadows but ends up washing out the photo a bit. Photo of the breeze block wall had plenty of light but if you pixel peep it looks like the HTC just missed the focus a bit and looks soft - this happens more with the HTC 10 - maybe 1 out of 20-30 shots? Everything else, Joe, is virtually identical. Having said that, HTC is still competing with last year's S6.

Fingerprint scanner - big win for HTC. S6 hated my greasy fingers and I stopped using it. HTC is reliable and snappy.

Music- Better on the HTC. Not night and day and I don't think my wife would hear the difference, but something about it makes music more enjoyable. Going to play around and compare to the M7 today. I miss the Sense music player.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty