Downloaded files & screenshots not showing up in media apps, where could they be saving?

A

AC Question

Downloaded files & screenshots not showing up in media apps

So, I have a Desire 820 running on KitKat 4.4.4 and sometime yesterday my downloaded files (pics and music) stopped showing up in Gallery and Music. I can play/open them in file browser. Any ideas? (I have cleared the cache of both apps - did not help)

playhay

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Downloaded files & screenshots not showing up in media apps

Find them in the file browser then move them to the same directory as pictures or music that do show up in the media app, I hope that helped! P.S I believe copy and paste is an option b long pressing the file

jakamusic

May 19, 2015
Visit site

Yeah I did that, but that's not a solution. Well it is but I want to find out what actually happened and so far I have no idea.

EDIT: Oh and I'm the one that wrote that Q, I just couldn't be bothered to log in :p

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The only files you can play with media apps (as opposed to playing them from a file manager) are those files found by Media Scanner, when you start the phone or when you do something that triggers it to rescan (like take a picture or record a sound). Downloading doesn't trigger it.

You can restart the phone to make Media Scanner run again, or you can use an app like Rescan Media to do it without restarting.

(Media apps look in the database Media Scanner creates and updates to find files they can play, they don't scan your ntire phone every time you open a media app. That goes along with Google's philosophy that a phone should be as fast as possible - and having Media Scanner trigger on every download, or having every media player scan the entire device, would bring things to a crawl at times.)

jakamusic

May 19, 2015
Visit site

Okay thanks but, every media scanner app I download chrashes when I try to open it

jakamusic

May 19, 2015
Visit site

Okay thanks but, every media scanner app I download chrashes when I try to open it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty