Divx support for the Desire?

mazinya

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking on getting myself a Desire, but was reading that there is no Divx support.. does it mean that if i would like to throw in a movie with AVI format, it wont play it?

And another thing.. since its not WINMO, does it mean i can forget about using OFFICE or Messenger?

Last edited:

IceBone

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The Desire comes with Quick Office, which reads word, excell and powerpoint files with no problem and there are several paid-for apps that allow you to edit said files as well.

As for divx support, there's an awesome player that was just recently released, called RockPlayer that plays SD-quality DivX and XviD (among a plethora of other formats) without a hitch. 720p, on the other hand, you don't want to try. ;)

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
What IceBone stated pretty much sums it up. Personally, I use OfficeSuite for editing .xls and .docx files, among others. RockPlayer works great and hopefully we'll see a 720p update for the Desire with some extended encoding and decoding capabilities. The hardware can do it, the current software can't.

EDIT: An update on the video playback thing. I've got 2.2 on my Desire now and it plays back 720p .wmv and .mov files wonderfully with Rockplayer 1.0.31 (ARMv7 version). Haven't had a chance to try DivX or .mkv yet, but I can't see why they should behave any differently. I only have minimal stuttering from time to time, it's quite nice. :)

Last edited: