I don't know what to do...

lauradenise

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
So, as of three days ago my phone started having a mind of its own. When i unlock it, it will scroll all the way to the left, to the last screen. It also decides when it will let me text, it will either force close, or it will take so long to bring up the text box, that i just get VERY frustrated and stop trying to text. Lets say i have the actual time to wait it out...it will let me type a few letters, but then the curser will jump back up to the top first letter spot, so all messages are so messed up. It decides when to do this! And it doesn't do it all the time, although it does happen every time i go to send a text. I did a factory reset, AND IT STILL DOES IT :(

Has anyone had this problem?? I didn't get insurance on the phone, so i can't verizon and expect them to do anything. Thanks for listening...lol, i don't think theres anything that can be done, but i'm just so frustrated. I love the Eris, or rather i do when it works...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Lost of people have has this common problem with the trackball - the phone thinks that the trackball is constantly rolling to the left, which is why it keeps going to the left-most home screen when on home and all the way to the start of text when you are trying to enter or edit text.

Some people report that putting in a USB cable and gently rocking it up and down helps, since the trackball electronic are just above the USB cable socket. That said, it's probably a bad trackball and it may be time to think about getting a new phone.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I had this with my first Eris. As well as my subsequent 4 Eris's. Fifth one got me a Droid X.

Doogald is right. The soldering point for the Trackball housing is connected to the USB port housing. That means that with excessive plugging and unplugging of the USB cable for charging and data transfer it weakens the solder. I however would not recommend wiggling it for this reason. This is a known flaw in the design of the Eris. Verizon and HTC know this.

Anyways, yes this will be a valid reason to get a Warranty replacement. Assuming you have it.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Contact HTC and let them know about the problem that you're experiencing. The whole process of repairing the phone will take approximately two weeks.

Note; This will only happen if the device is still under the manufacturer warranty.

Good luck.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
More than likely what will happen is a Factory Refurbished phone will be sent via HTC and Verizon Wireless.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So, as of three days ago my phone started having a mind of its own. When i unlock it, it will scroll all the way to the left, to the last screen. It also decides when it will let me text, it will either force close, or it will take so long to bring up the text box, that i just get VERY frustrated and stop trying to text. Lets say i have the actual time to wait it out...it will let me type a few letters, but then the curser will jump back up to the top first letter spot, so all messages are so messed up. It decides when to do this! And it doesn't do it all the time, although it does happen every time i go to send a text. I did a factory reset, AND IT STILL DOES IT :(

Has anyone had this problem?? I didn't get insurance on the phone, so i can't verizon and expect them to do anything. Thanks for listening...lol, i don't think theres anything that can be done, but i'm just so frustrated. I love the Eris, or rather i do when it works...

Me nor my fiancee have had this prob. but have heard this happens quite a bit. Something that I dont think I have ever heard anyone ask is, do you lotion your hands often?
work around a dusty environment? are you rough on your phone? If so it quit posiblely be dirt or dust something a cotton swab saturated with 90% alcohol round the edges of the ball a few rolls swabbing a few rolls then swab clean roll swab clean if you see anything dirty come out. repeat cleaning with fresh q-tips till clean. PLUS I hghly recommend you turn the phone OFF prior to doing this.
I know the lagging text prob usually is too many text, if ya dont need em delete em is a great policy! There is very little ram to spare on this phone. I would recommend clearing the cache, cookies, and history in the browser often, as well!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer