eris vs droid

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, I have had my Eris for a few weeks now and I LOVE it. Nothing really to complain about except for the YouTube app. However, I have the opportunity to trade my Eris for the droid at no extra cost to me. What do you guys think? Should I stick with the Eris? Is the droid better? Let me hear your input.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Droid is better, especially if you can get it free. It's slightly larger, but it's also more future proof. It has a faster/better processor and larger screen, and isn't much thicker than and Eris (although it is heavier). I would get the Droid.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I personally preferred the Eris to the Droid, but part of that was the extra $100. I'd go try it out at a Verizon Store if you have time.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
That's how I made my decision. I was at the VZ store for around an hour just experimenting with both phones. In terms of substantive things (to me, anyway) I prefered the Eris. The screen size and speed advantages weren't that big of a deal - not enough to outweigh the Sense UI, the smaller size, lack of physical keyboard (why pay for it if you know you won't use it). Hopefully, VZ will get the Eris up to 2.0 in the not too distant future and then it'll be able to do almost everything the Moto Droid will do. The $100 difference was also a big issue for me. It all just depends on what's important to you. Coming from a Palm 755, the speed of the Eris was an improvement and the difference in speed is measured in mere single-digit seconds -- funny how impatient we get with mere seconds!

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
For me the Droid is simply the better phone in every way besides the SENSE UI.

The Eris is great, my girlfriend loves it but she is not as serious or tech savy as I am.
It just feels and performs like a low-tier phone. Nothing wrong with that though.

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I really loved the Eris but I just couldn't live with the abysmal the battery life. PLus, it was a much slower phone.
I've had the Droid for about 2 weeks now and I love it. I really have no complaints. The battery lasts all day, despite reasonable usage. Plus, I can use swype which is the best thing to come to smart phones since wi-fi.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah well this is a big dilemma for me I'm really having a hard time deciding what to do. I mean I just got my Eris a few weeks ago and got a case for it and really have gotten attached to it. My friend says I should keep the Eris. And I can get the droid free through a straight up trade. Is the speed difference really that big? Are there any discovered problems with the droid? Main thing is I would not want to regret trading for it. Help me decide what to do lol. I think I'm gonna go play around wit it at the store.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The speed difference is not huge (I dont think). If you are happy with the speed of your Eris then thats cool. I dont think there are any major discovered problems... no phone is perfect but nothing huge. Biggest thing might be some people dont like the quality of the camera.

Things to ask yourself:
-Can I live without sense UI?
-Do I need a bigger screen (movies, games etc)
-Would I use a physical keyboard (I heard the HTC virtual keyboard is better then the droids) However, Droid can use swype, shapewriter and better keyboards.
-Does my phone seem slow/do I want,need something faster.
-I have heard the Battery life on the droid is much better
-Do I want a larger device in my pocket.

OK, im tired lol, good luck with the choice, you cant really go wrong. The Droid might have sense ported to it properly in while, ya never know. Choose wisely! lol

itechyou

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have both devices and can honestly say that it is all a matter of personal taste. The speed difference is negligible. The biggest thing, aside from the OS, is form factor. I use my droid all day and while I am at home. If I am going out for the evening I will typically take the Eris based on its size. I've had 0 problems with either device and have had both since launch. If you are attached to the Eris and happy with what it does for you then don't let some other peoples opinions sway you. At the end of the day it is YOUR device, not theirs. There are not 2 people that use their phones in the exact same manner as one another so opinions are alot like a certain bodypart...everyone has one.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I know what you guys mean thanks for your input. To me, everyone is making the droid seem to be a waaaay better device aside from the sense UI. The Eris feels great in my pocket and hands it seems like the droid would be an in the way brick. Now, when you say the speed difference is negligible, do you mean the difference between the 2 really isn't noticeable? And is the speed of the browser affected by connection, not processor speed?

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Eris OS upgrade

I have seen on several blogs that the Eris should be receiving an upgrade to the Android 2.1, as well as the Droid and Cliq. So, you will be able to access more apps with your Eris. The Droid is nice but there is always something new and better around the corner every month. I wish I held out for the Nexus One when it hits Verizon in the spring. Talk about future proof...it has twice the speed of the Droid. Hopefully, I can make the Droid last at least 3 years as I hate exchanging phones every 20 months...such a waste.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, I can make the Droid last at least 3 years as I hate exchanging phones every 20 months...such a waste.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but in 20 months we are likely to be seeing a rollout of 4G networking, which will not be CDMA and would require a different handset from the Droid, so you still may want to upgrade after 20-24 months anyway.

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
4G

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but in 20 months we are likely to be seeing a rollout of 4G networking, which will not be CDMA and would require a different handset from the Droid, so you still may want to upgrade after 20-24 months anyway.

Last I heard (and I am not tech expert) is 4G has been a challenge for manufacturers as they try to balance size and weight with the 4G speed. Many people already complain of battery life with 3G handsets. I couldn't imagine how it will be with 4G handsets. I don't download music or large data files and a couple of seconds to download a website won't break me. If it doesn't last, then it doesn't last. But it is such a huge waste to continually upgrade your phone. I get my phone recycled after it's use but I would like to hold onto a phone longer than 2-years. I am just hoping I can get by at least for 3-years before upgrading and hopefully by that time, the bugs and kinks they have with 4G phones will be resolved such as not charging your phone or carrying a brick of a battery around with the initial set of phones.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well I have another question. When the Eris is updated to 2.1 or 2.0 (hopefully soon, I'm tired of watching other phones advance while the Eris is stuck in The past!) will the speed and smoothness be much better, where there is no lag? Or is this all based on the processor? Because I have noticed the Eris is buggy and laggy at times, and it will run slow or act strange. And I don't want to be stuck with those problems if it is all due to the processor and not the OS. If these next big updates fix everything like occasional lag and buggyness and the youtube app etc. Then I will stay with the Eris. But if they are not going to fix those things and I am doomed to live with them due to the processor, then I need to know now so I can switch. Please help guys!