Can you delete Gmail app???

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Woooaaahhh...lotta anger there.

Somehow, we've managed to use a lot of this stuff for years with a far lower level of aggravation. And no privacy concerns.

But I get what you're saying. All I'm saying is - it's 2015. This stuff ain't going away. Time to get a handle on how to deal with it. Breaking the caps lock key is not the answer.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Last edited:

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I personally have never liked gmail. I have always used the native android @Mail app and liked the way it worked. I just got a new Droid Turbo 2 and the freaking mail is gmail. Even when I use the "regular" mail app it looks and acts exactly like gmail! I would love to find a way to make it work like the mail on my last two droid phones rather than this stupid gmail interface.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I personally have never liked gmail. I have always used the native android @Mail app and liked the way it worked. I just got a new Droid Turbo 2 and the freaking mail is gmail. Even when I use the "regular" mail app it looks and acts exactly like gmail! I would love to find a way to make it work like the mail on my last two droid phones rather than this stupid gmail interface.

The Play Store has plenty of free mail clients, including K9 mail. Download one of them and use it. It's a smartphone and you can install apps; if you don't like what's pre-installed, then get something better.

xarvox

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
gmail app is NOT better, it contains spam and google are not the defenders of user integrity that they should be..
They are not as bad as facebook, but still WAY too bad at keeping my secrets.

Im pretty much forced to use androind since there arent any _real_ options available at the moment, but as soon as there is a linux-phone, i will be on it like a fly on ****e.
(no, ios or winphone is not a _real_ option, among other things, they both have some strange ideas of what they can force upon their users..)

Kbrackson

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Well I know this is an old thread but I installed Inbox by Gmail(a billion times better, the bundling works well, though it doesn't instill my own privacy confidence when the AI can determine the type of email by content so well but such is life with Gmail, since they're doing it anyway, might as well make it work for me.) You can add pop/IMAP accounts to Inbox, though I don't, because I don't need more data mining, I use goog enough as it is, but useful for old outlook accounts I use for spam or questionable websites 🤗

For other concerns about privacy:
-There are multiple individual "app lockers" if you want a lock on your photos or individual apps as opposed to the whole device
-For private browsing:
Firefox/Tor network offer Orfox for Android(I've run it on MM and now Nougat), but you need Orbit and Orfox to run it and anyone who knows Tor knows it can be notoriously slow...
-so a lightweight alternative is Ghostery, a good browser which allows you to even opt-out of data it collects for dev and I've found it to be a useful and fast. I use Firefox sometimes too but Ghostery tends to use less battery and faster.

-For YouTube content I don't need in my history I run it in Ghostery, however I tend to use native YouTube because I'm not really ever viewing anything restricted, if I do then I switch it, and I have YT Red so I don't have to watch commercials for a damn clip.(YT Red- I don't get it-why not just charge for no ads instead of hiding it in a Google music subscription? 🤔)

-Don't even use native email apps, wouldn't add my encrypted email accts to my phone, I wouldn't recommend anyone else doing it either, unless you have separate devices for work and play, and never, ever, log into Google or any social media on your 'work' device, even then I would still root it, enable dev options, install apk direct from source (use OTG or secure private network to transfer whatever you will need but still know accessing anything over wifi or mobile networks is penetrable, best you can hope for is good encryption, even still, living in the US, Mother Russia's powerbottom will be sworn in the next 36 hours so I'm in yet another existential crisis)

-Another handy app for anyone annoyed and worried with how much data average apps collect, is Xprivacy, which has worked on KitKat, Lollipop, and Marshmallow, but I've always used on rooted devices. When apps don't allow you to opt out of an option(what prompted my use was CapOne's lovely addition that demands permissions to make/receive calls and phone # info(some other banks have begun it too but most still allow an opt-out) or it kills the app-yea, sure, it's a "safety" future, I'm sure a bank/lender would NEVER use that info for nefarious reasons 🙄), anyway Xprivacy works by feeding fake or no information, so you can still use a convenient app and so far it's been useful.

If anyone has thoughts on FACEBOOK privacy though- I'll take them. I HATE Facebook, messenger, instagram and all that data it collects and mines. Unfortunately a large amount of my friends use it for almost everything, and the Messenger mandate is even worse, every time I get on to check anything I get someone messaging me, and if I uninstall it I can't see messages, and not being able to get on without others seeing the exact minute I was last active and heaven forbid I leave location on, then geo-tagging, yay!

Right now I'm feeling out some Facebook/messenger wrapper apps, admittedly they are sparse, and I might just buy the only app I could find which allows you to modify fb privacy(last active, message seen/unseen etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If anyone has thoughts on FACEBOOK privacy though- I'll take them.

Just open facebook.com in Chrome. You can see timeline and even use Messenger from there - you don't have to use the official apps. Of course you don't get the notifications, but that's fine with me - I just check when I want to.

SilverMoon722

Dec 21, 2017
Visit site
I use Android. I want to uninstall Gmail app but when I try to do it I receive a message saying that other things on my phone won't behave. What does that mean and what can I do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch