Rom manager app

Over-iOS

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Looks good, anyone use it? I is it worth it?

Debating on whether to get the premium version....

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The features provided in the free version along are enough to support the developer and pay for the premium. It offers a good way to stay up to date with new ROM versions if you flash frequently and want the latest of a certain ROM to be downloaded straight to the phone.

I would say yes, it's worth it :)

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Looks good, anyone use it? I is it worth it?

Debating on whether to get the premium version....

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

I just updated to the premium version a couple days ago. I would say it's definitely worth it. Easy way to reboot into recovery, if your ROM dev has OTA support through it you can upgrade all new versions very easy. Also gives you an easy way to manage and restore your nandroid backups.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It's garbage... Pay for roms to install that are already free? No thanks and the recovery is MUCH slower than TWRP. Also no option to compress does it for me. The ROM manager app is worthless besides getting recovery from it if you can't flash TWRP.

Use clockwork mod if you want but I would never pay someone for something that is free on xda with a quick browse. U are paying a middleman for nothing.

I used clockwork mod for the last 2 days to verify and it is def slower and not as good as TWRP.

This is not a fanboi comment but an honest answer. TWRP IS JUST HONESTLY BETTER!

Sent from my Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It's garbage... Pay for roms to install that are already free? No thanks and the recovery is MUCH slower than TWRP. Also no option to compress does it for me. The ROM manager app is worthless besides getting recovery from it if you can't flash TWRP.

Use clockwork mod if you want but I would never pay someone for something that is free on xda with a quick browse. U are paying a middleman for nothing.

I used clockwork mod for the last 2 days to verify and it is def slower and not as good as TWRP.

This is not a fanboi comment but an honest answer. TWRP IS JUST HONESTLY BETTER!

Take Jon's word for it. He knows what he is talking about. Been "knowing" him for a while, since my Optimus S rooting and ThundeRom 1.6 days.

incarceration

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Almost all apps you can buy from the market you can download off the internet for then transfer the .apk file to your phone.

It may sound shady but for some things it's worth it. I typically do so before deciding if it's even worth my time...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Almost all apps you can buy from the market you can download off the internet for then transfer the .apk file to your phone.

It may sound shady but for some things it's worth it. I typically do so before deciding if it's even worth my time...

I'm going to assume you are not talking about the illegal piracy of applications, as that would be against forum rules and has serious consequences.

Sent from my Nexus S

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

I wouldn't go as far as calling it garbage, its a good app, but I do agree with every other point made. The paid version should be free. He is making money off distributing ROMS that other people make. Thats not right unless the ROM dev gets a kick back and I doubt that happens. So yeah... go the free route.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't go as far as calling it garbage, its a good app, but I do agree with every other point made. The paid version should be free. He is making money off distributing ROMS that other people make. Thats not right unless the ROM dev gets a kick back and I doubt that happens. So yeah... go the free route.

It's true that all the downloadable content is available for free, but I always thought of ROM Manager as a GUI (and an unnecessary one at that) for ClockworkMod Recovery, with ROM downloads as an extra feature. Koush spends a lot of time developing CWM and RM for a whole slew of devices, so I don't see anything wrong with getting some compansation in the form of an optional premium CWM user interface. I personally don't need or use it as I'm comfortable using CWM directly, but some people prefer a nice shiny GUI to do things for them.

Sent from my Nexus S

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
It's true that all the downloadable content is available for free, but I always thought of ROM Manager as a GUI (and an unnecessary one at that) for ClockworkMod Recovery, with ROM downloads as an extra feature. Koush spends a lot of time developing CWM and RM for a whole slew of devices, so I don't see anything wrong with getting some compansation in the form of an optional premium CWM user interface. I personally don't need or use it as I'm comfortable using CWM directly, but some people prefer a nice shiny GUI to do things for them.

Sent from my Nexus S
Agreed, I dont mind people getting compensation either....

But would you support a ROM Dev if he left out features of the ROM and said pay me money and you can get extra features? And those extra features are built off the back of others work that can be freel found and downloaded?

Im not trying to get a flame ware going, Im just trying to enlighten you to others perception of the situation.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, I dont mind people getting compensation either....

But would you support a ROM Dev if he left out features of the ROM and said pay me money and you can get extra features? And those extra features are built off the back of others work that can be freel found and downloaded?

Im not trying to get a flame ware going, Im just trying to enlighten you to others perception of the situation.

Just having a friendly discussion - I hope tone isn't taken the wrong way here :)

But a better analogy would be a ROM dev that charges for a ROM with all features included in a single zip, and offers a stripped version with all premium features available for free as separate flashable zips. You're basically paying for the convenience - everything is still available for free. You can download any ROM in ROM Manager tor free from XDA or the dev's website. ROM Manager just puts everything in one place and makes it a single-click download/install. If I'm misunderstanding where you're coming from, please let me know.

Sent from my Nexus S

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Just having a friendly discussion - I hope tone isn't taken the wrong way here :)

But a better analogy would be a ROM dev that charges for a ROM with all features included in a single zip, and offers a stripped version with all premium features available for free as separate flashable zips. You're basically paying for the convenience - everything is still available for free. You can download any ROM in ROM Manager tor free from XDA or the dev's website. ROM Manager just puts everything in one place and makes it a single-click download/install. If I'm misunderstanding where you're coming from, please let me know.

Sent from my Nexus S

You do understand but you dont... I see the point you are trying to make but disagree. IN my scenario the ROM dev is charging for premium features that he did not create (example: WiFi HotSpot that I have in my ROM). I could say for example... Charge for that feature to be included in the ROM but I did not hack the services.jar, someone else did. So I am charging you for someone elses work. This work is freely distributed through out the internetz. Any one could download it and add it to my ROM with easy.

In your scenario I read it as he created the work he is charging to manage. In reality he did not create that work. But he is charging you to gain access to it via his program.

Is my point coming across or just more confusing now? lol

But this is a greate debate. I love doing this. Always wanted to be a lawyer... lol

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You do understand but you dont... I see the point you are trying to make but disagree. IN my scenario the ROM dev is charging for premium features that he did not create (example: WiFi HotSpot that I have in my ROM). I could say for example... Charge for that feature to be included in the ROM but I did not hack the services.jar, someone else did. So I am charging you for someone elses work. This work is freely distributed through out the internetz. Any one could download it and add it to my ROM with easy.

In your scenario I read it as he created the work he is charging to manage. In reality he did not create that work. But he is charging you to gain access to it via his program.

Is my point coming across or just more confusing now? lol

But this is a greate debate. I love doing this. Always wanted to be a lawyer... lol

LMAO - those TV litigators always did seem to have a fun gig :p

I suppose I would agree with you if Koush was the gatekeeper - if the only way to get those ROMs were through a paid ROM Manager app, that would not be kosher at all. I look at it more like a service that he is providing. Like water - water on public land is public domain. Anyone can go over to a pubic lake and fill up a bottle of water to drink for free, but Arrowhead sells it in bottles at the supermarket. They charge a price for getting the water, bottling it, and shipping it to your hometown. Kind of like how ROM Manager puts a link right on your phone to download ROMs, and even installs it for you - usually with configurable extras. Sure you could go over to XDA, find the ROM thread, download the zip on your computer, connect your phone via USB, transfer the ROM to your SD card, unplug the phone, reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery and flash it. But some people prefer the convenience of ROM Manager and are willing to pay a small fee for that service.

Plus it's not like Koush is trolling XDA grabbing ROMs and sticking them on ROM Manager. It is a whole process just to get your ROM on there. You have to work for it as the dev of that ROM to have your ROM listed. You need to verify your identify via a Github link so Koush knows you are who you say you are, then you have to write an entire JavaScript so Koush has the code to integrate into the ROM Manager downloads. He even gives the dev a free subscription to ROM Manager for their troubles. The ROM devs know what they're doing - they want to make their work available to as many people possible, and they know that the service Koush provides will help them do that.

Last edited:

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
LMAO - those TV litigators always did seem to have a fun gig :p

I suppose I would agree with you if Koush was the gatekeeper - if the only way to get those ROMs were through a paid ROM Manager app, that would not be kosher at all. I look at it more like a service that he is providing. Like water - water on public land is public domain. Anyone can go over to a pubic lake and fill up a bottle of water to drink for free, but Arrowhead sells it in bottles at the supermarket. They charge a price for getting the water, bottling it, and shipping it to your hometown. Kind of like how ROM Manager puts a link right on your phone to download ROMs, and even installs it for you - usually with configurable extras. Sure you could go over to XDA, find the ROM thread, download the zip on your computer, connect your phone via USB, transfer the ROM to your SD card, unplug the phone, reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery and flash it. But some people prefer the convenience of ROM Manager and are willing to pay a small fee for that service.

Plus it's not like Koush is trolling XDA grabbing ROMs and sticking them on ROM Manager. It is a whole process just to get your ROM on there. You have to work for it as the dev of that ROM to have your ROM listed. You need to verify your identify via a Github link so Koush knows you are who you say you are, then you have to write an entire JavaScript so Koush has the code to integrate into the ROM Manager downloads. He even gives the dev a free subscription to ROM Manager for their troubles. The ROM devs know what they're doing - they want to make their work available to as many people possible, and they know that the service Koush provides will help them do that.

Fair enough!

Dont get me wrong. I have nothing against ROM Manager, I defended it earlier. I dont think its junk. I just wanted to hear some arguments for it and pose my arguments against it. A lot of people are quick to bash it. Its undeniable a good program for newbs as it does simplify the process greatly.

Good debate! Look forward to another!

-Scott