Transferring Of Content From PC To 32GB Card Taking 10 Hours!

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to switch my EVO3D over to using a 32GB memory card. So I followed all of the different steps that I found here, but the process is not working. When I tried transferring all of the content from my 8GB card; that I had transfered to my Windows 7 PC first; over to the 32GB card, the transfer is taken 10 hours to complete, and even then not all of the folders and files transfered over. I have tried doing this transfer with two different 32GB MicroSD memory cards and both of them ran into the same problems. I even installed software that is suppose to help speed up the data transfer over a USB connection and that didn't help at all.

The slow transfer speeds occure whether I perform the transfer of the folders and files to the memory card using a thumb drive adapter to connect the memory card directly to my PC, or if I connect the phone to my computer using the USB Drive sync. Both methods take hours to complete and don't transfer all of my content. Oddly though, it only took several minutes to transfer all of the 3GB's of content from my 8GB memory card, to my PC. So I know my computer should be able to make these transfers in a reasonable amount of time, and that (ALL) of the content should be moved over onto the new memory card.

So has this happen to anyone else? How did you fix the slow transfer speeds? Did you use any special methods or software to transfer content from one memory card to another? Could my phone be to blame? Should I format the cards in a certain way, to increase the transfer speeds? And why are my files and folders not all transferring to the new memory card, even though I know for a fact that I highlighted them to be transferred over and that my computer showed during the transfer process that the content was being moved over?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, because I don't know what else to try. I have never had this type of problem happen before. I have wasted hours of my life over the past few days trying to get this whole thing to work, but its clear that I need to ask for help.

Any ideas?

Posted From My Sprint EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

Last edited:

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to switch my EVO3D over to using a 32GB memory card. So I followed all of the different steps that I found here, but the process is not working. When I tried transferring all of the content from my 8GB card; that I had transfered to my Windows 7 PC first; over to the 32GB card, the transfer is taken 10 hours to complete, and even then not all of the folders and files transfered over. I have tried doing this transfer with two different 32GB MicroSD memory cards and both of them ran into the same problems. I even installed software that is suppose to help speed up the data transfer over a USB connection and that didn't help at all.

The slow transfer speeds occure whether I perform the transfer of the folders and files to the memory card using a thumb drive adapter to connect the memory card directly to my PC, or if I connect the phone to my computer using the USB Drive sync. Both methods take hours to complete and don't transfer all of my content. Oddly though, it only took several minutes to transfer all of the 3GB's of content from my 8GB memory card, to my PC. So I know my computer should be able to make these transfers in a reasonable amount of time, and that (ALL) of the content should be moved over onto the new memory card.

So has this happen to anyone else? How did you fix the slow transfer speeds? Did you use any special methods or software to transfer content from one memory card to another? Could my phone be to blame? And why are my files and folders not all transferring to the new memory card, even though I know for a fact that I highlighted them to be transferred over and that my computer showed during the transfer process that the content was being moved over?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, because I don't know what else to try. I have never had this type of problem happen before. I have wasted hours of my life over the past few days trying to get this whole thing to work, but its clear that I need to ask for help.

Any ideas?

Bagua

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This is what I did to transfer files. I had the same issue but it stated 6 hours.

New SD card must be formatted via pc.

Back up old SD to PC

Insert new SD and format on phone

Transfer PC back up files to phone only what's needed.

Hope this helps and I hope the community members have some more. Insight.

Reactions: the2ndflood

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
This is what I did to transfer files. I had the same issue but it stated 6 hours.

New SD card must be formatted via pc.

Back up old SD to PC

Insert new SD and format on phone

Transfer PC back up files to phone only what's needed.

Hope this helps and I hope the community members have some more. Insight.

How do I format the memory card using my phone?

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried this process again and I am still being told it will take 10 hours to transfer all of the content from the folder where I saved my 8GB content on my PC, to the new 32GB memory card. This time the timer went as high as 3 days to transfer the content, but then went back down to 10 hours. I moved the content from my 8GB card, to my PC and that only took around 11 minutes. But when I try and transfer anything to the larger memory card, I get the long transfer times. And I don't want to wait the 10 hours again, just to find out that not all of the files were transfered once again. So I don't know what to do now. Any advice from anyone?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Theres a possibility that your not getting full speeds due to invalid drivers for your USB devices or the port its self.
Do you have access to try a different computer?
Keep in mind if your using any sort of hub, card reader, what ever device it would need to be usb 2.0 compliant to reach higher data transfer speeds, as well as be installed with the correct drivers. I had an issue with a card reader not working fast enough for me, after some trial and error i simply got rid of it. Everything else i use is fast.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
What speed cards do you have?

Both cards are Class 4, or at least that is what was listed in their auction listings.

I was able to transfer the content from my 8GB card to the 32GB card, but it took 10 hours to complete and now folders that have images in them, will disappear in a way where my phone can no longer see the folder. Then after that happens I have to re-transfer the missing folder back on to the memory card again. This has happen 3 times so far. Maybe the cards are just junk, because I didn't spend much on either if them. I paid $15 for one and $20 for the other. Its just odd that two different cards from two different sellers, would both have the same transfer issue, but its possible. At the end of the day though, I am still having these transfer issues that have not been fixed. So I still need to find a way to transfer content to the 32GB cards; without having to wait 10 hours or have to deal with folders going missing.

Any advice from anyone on here?

hitman4274

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Format it.... Go to my computer, right click on sdcard and hit format... Hit quick format with fat32, and the rest stock, should be fat32 anyways. It's gonna erase everything on the card, I did this and then used cwm to partition my sdcard again, reassuring the format, its not a 32, but i will say any after market card I have out in my phone same class and all don't reach the same speeds the class 4 8gb the phone came with,

Sent from my clean sharp shooter

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Format it.... Go to my computer, right click on sdcard and hit format... Hit quick format with fat32, and the rest stock, should be fat32 anyways. It's gonna erase everything on the card, I did this and then used cwm to partition my sdcard again, reassuring the format, its not a 32, but i will say any after market card I have out in my phone same class and all don't reach the same speeds the class 4 8gb the phone came with,

Thanks for the advice! I have already reformatted the memory cards a bunch of times though, and the transfer speeds still remain slow. Its a good idea to reformat the cards again, because if a card is not correctly formatted, it can have issues like slow transfer speeds.

I just reformatted the cards again and the slow transfer speeds remain. The transfer of 300MB's in images is set to take an hour and a half to finish transfering. That's just insane!

I have never had this happen before, so I'm not sure how to fix this. Maybe both memory cards are just defective. Do you know of a good way to test the memory card for problems, besides using the Windows Formatting Tools? Maybe a method that can also test the transfer speeds of the memory card?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
This is a Windows 7 issue. Whenever you try to transfer a large number of files, Explorer in Windows 7 crawls very, very badly. If you made the same transfer in XP, it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

If you know how, open up a command line windows and use Robocopy instead.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
This is a Windows 7 issue. Whenever you try to transfer a large number of files, Explorer in Windows 7 crawls very, very badly. If you made the same transfer in XP, it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

If you know how, open up a command line windows and use Robocopy instead.

I hate Windows 7, so if this is an issus with Windows 7, then that makes me want to switch back to XP even more so. But the slow transfers only come about when I move files and folders from my computer to one of the two 32GB memory cards, or from another memory card to one of the 32GB cards. If I transfer files to and from the 8GB card, the lag time goes away and the files transfer without problems. So I don't know if Windows 7 is to fully blame. You do have a good idea about the Robocopy, but that method would also take a while, because I would have to set the directories for each transfer, but I will give it a shot. Nothing else is working, so Robocopy is at least a new path in finding out why this keeps happening.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I just spent the last few hours transferring content from my PC, to one of my two 32GB memery cards. I used Robocopy to painstakingly move each group of files and folders to the 32GB memory card, and after I thought I was finished; I looked on the memory card and I could see that only a few folders and files were actually transfered. Even though I watched as each file was transfered to the memory card.

I don't know what else to do. Maybe I should just get a new 32GB memory card, but then that card could also cause these same type of problems; if the error is related to my computer and not to the card. If its a card issue, then how can I know for a fact that the new memory card won't end up acting like the other two 32GB memory cards that I already have? If I do get another 32GB memory card, which manufacturer makes the best cards?

What else should I try? Thanks for everyone's help so far. I really appreciate all of the help that has been thrown my way, while dealing with this issue.

So the 2 main problems that I have been dealing with, which both problems could be related on some level.
1. The transfer times are insane! Many several hours of transfer time has been needed in order to transfer content to the 32GB memory cards.
2. Things that I transfer over to the memory card go missing on the card. The files and folders disappear altogether; even though I watched the files move over onto the memory card.

Last edited:

hitman4274

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Try a friends computer with xp, or Vista
Make sure you have show hidden files checked in the file explorer your using, could be losing them that way,

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I just tried transferring the files using a Mac instead of a PC and the transfer to the other 32GB memory card was still really, really slow. So these cards must be bad, or the files that I am trying to transfer are maybe corrupted some how. More then likely the cards are bad, because these files have been on my computer for many years and have never caused a problem. So I guess I need to buy a new memory card. I was hoping that it wouldn't come to that, but I guess I have no choice. Money wasted. . .

Any suggestions on a good brand to trust in when buying a new memory card?

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Try a friends computer with xp, or Vista
Make sure you have show hidden files checked in the file explorer your using, could be losing them that way,

I tried using an XP machine earlier in the night, but the transfers also kept taking a really long time to finish. I tried to transfer 225MB's of music and pics and I was told it would take an hour and forty five minutes to finish the transfer on the XP machine. This isn't happening with my smaller memory cards, just the two 32GB cards. On 3 different computers the transfer time rates were really long; so it can't just be the computers fault. I'm going to keep trying different things, but I may end up just getting a new 32GB memory card. Hopefully that's fixes these issues. Thanks though for the advice!

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I just broke down and bought a new 32GB memory card and this new card transfers files as fast as the other two should have. With the other two memory cards, even when I waited many, many hours for the transferring process to finish, I found folders that were empty. So the time spent was a giant waste. Thanks again though for everyone that offered helpful advice. We tried, but the cards were just defective. So any transfers to and from them were destined to fail.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I just broke down and bought a new 32GB memory card and this new card transfers files as fast as the other two should have. With the other two memory cards, even when I waited many, many hours for the transferring process to finish, I found folders that were empty. So the time spent was a giant waste. Thanks again though for everyone that offered helpful advice. We tried, but the cards were just defective. So any transfers to and from them were destined to fail.

Just curious, how or where did you get 2 bad cards?

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, how or where did you get 2 bad cards?

One I got on Ebay and the other I got at an online tech store. I don't want to mention their name, because they are trying to make me jump through 50 different hoops; just so I can return the defective memory card back to them. So I don't want them to get any free publicity from me. The Ebay one worked out for me though, because Ebay canceled the auction after it was already over. They didn't give me a reason as to why, but the seller refunded my money and sent the card anyway. So I'm not really all that annoyed with that transaction. But I am most likely going to try and buy my memory cards at a local store from now on. That way I can easily take it back if the card turns out to be defective.

Reactions: Wiley_11

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87