out of warranty and rooted

grifter56

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
im out of the warranty period and recently rooted the phone everything has been working great but there is a portion of the screen close to the top that has developed a dead spot over the weekend. would sprint care that the phone is rooted even though its out of warranty.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
im out of the warranty period and recently rooted the phone everything has been working great but there is a portion of the screen close to the top that has developed a dead spot over the weekend. would sprint care that the phone is rooted even though its out of warranty.

They probably would not honor the warranty due to you having root access. If you could unroot I would try to go that route before trying sprint.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to the manufacturer's warrenty or the Sprint protection plan?

With the Sprint protection plan (i.e. in-store repairs or insurance replacement through Assurion), they won't check to see that your bootloader was unlocked or that you rooted. Just unroot and bring it in for service, and you'll be fine.

With the HTC 1-year warrenty (i.e. if Sprint has to send your phone back to HTC), I've heard that the 1st thing HTC does is check to see if you used the HTC unlock tool, and if you have then they won't honor the warrenty. In that case even if you unroot first, you're out of luck (which is what you agreed to when you used the unlock tool).