Hinge, screen issue and warranty.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Dropped my Flip4 yesterday and now does not open fully. So annoyed with myself. Could have been completely avoided if I had put it in my back pocket like I normally do. I'm guessing to have it repaired would be very expensive. Totally screws up my yearly trade-in. I always get a good trade-in value since I usually have the previous years version. Not even sure it would be eligible for trade-in in this condition. It does work perfectly other than the annoying won't open fully issue!
I had to get a second line to get a promo on a new one. 1st ZF4 got at launch and dropped Dec2022.

Sent from my SM-F721W using AC Forums mobile app

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I have dropped it once or twice before with no issue. This time around, the phone was folded and caught the sweet spot. I did have a case on it. My cute cat case. My boring case, with the hinge protector (yeah I know ....) was home, in my drawer doing me absolutely no good. No idea if it would have helped but would have probably given me better odds.

Yeah I figured as much. To replace the hinge/screen replacement part costs $580. I have already called Samsung. They could not tell me how much they would reduce the trade-in. Going to see about picking up a phone on Swappa to tide me over and then go from there. Using the phone 24/7 in folder position is already grating on my nerves

At first it wouldn't open fully, but the top screen was flickering,forced it open and the screen completely lifted where the hinge is. It's dead. The case that was installed couldn't help buffer hitting the sweet spot on the hinge.
Got an OEM silicone ring case for the new replacement and actually more secure while holding.

Last edited:

andee1517

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
At first nine wouldn't open fully, but the top screen was flickering in our of power,forced it open and the screen completely lifted where the hinge is. It's dead. The case that was installed couldn't help buffer hitting the sweet spot on the hinge. Got an OEM silicone ring case and actually more secure while holding.

Can't tell you how many times I had to stop myself from yanking it all the way open! I guess I found the spot that stops it from opening but does not impact the use of the phone otherwise. Could be eventually it will start flickering, etc. For now it is off and sitting in a drawer at home. If trade-in values get better in a month or so, I might send it in and see what Samsung will give me and decide from there. If not, will keep using the Note20 I picked up and see how things are looking when the new Flip comes out later in the year. I really like the Flip and would most definitely get the insurance if I go that route again. Someone in this thread or in another mentioned they knew someone that had broken hinge and had the insurance and Samsung sent them a new phone.

jma78b

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
My friend got her phone fixed for free by Samsung when she dropped it. The phone wouldn't open up properly, and they fixed it free of charge. She had only had it for 3 months.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm considering buying the Flip 4. Some reviews of the Flip 4 on the Samsung site mention the hinge breaking and a black screen. They also say that Samsung doesn't cover the hinge and screen issue under warranty. In reply to the reviews a Samsung spokesperson says to contact the warranty department. Has anyone had the hinge and or black screen issue? Is Samsung repairing the phone under warranty or is payment required?
If you damaged yes they won't cover BUT typically it's a screen failure which they do cover!

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Yeah it sucks for sure :(
No insurance?
Thankgod I had ROGERS WIRELESS device protection, finally contacted them for a device repair/replacement. I had to call them to get the case started. They emailed me a prepaid shipping label and in 5 days I presumably may get the device repaired like new.

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang7757

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
My friend got her phone fixed for free by Samsung when she dropped it. The phone wouldn't open up properly, and they fixed it free of charge. She had only had it for 3 months.
Same here 3 months old and dropped directly on hinge ON ceramic tiling. Can't close and completely lifted inner screen. I screamed in shock NOT because I just dropped a new device BUT the fact that I just broke a 1800$ device. This is the 1st time this EVER has happened to me!

Last edited:
Reactions: BijouVixen

BijouVixen

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
Same here 3 months old and dropped directly on hinge ON ceramic tiling. Can't close and completely lifted inner screen. I screamed in shock NOT because 8 just dropped a new device BUT the fact that I just broke a 1800$ device. This is the 1st time this EVER has happened to me!

There's always that " first time " and when it happens it suuuucks big time!! I'm using my Pixel Fold naked atm and I'm just like you where it hasn't happened to me ............. yet???

Though I'm very careful whenever I'm handling my cells especially while naked but one never knows?? I almost dropped it when it was like a few days old but that was me taking a stupid selfie in the changing room !!

Hope there wasn't too much or any damage at all on your phone?!

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
There's always that " first time " and when it happens it suuuucks big time!! I'm using my Pixel Fold naked atm and I'm just like you where it hasn't happened to me ............. yet???

Though I'm very careful whenever I'm handling my cells especially while naked but one never knows?? I almost dropped it when it was like a few days old but that was me taking a stupid selfie in the changing room !!

Hope there wasn't too much or any damage at all on your phone?!
I do like devices naked.........but I'm clumsy 😂.
The ZFLIP4 dropped and hit the hinge directly, can't close it and inner screen lifted. But because it was in a case there's zero cosmetic damage. Only outer screen worked at this moment.

So I'm super careful and typically never drop devices. I always think about the devices in dollars ya know! And to resell must also keep in pristine condition too.
I just submitted a repair/replacement with my carriers device protection plan. Just sent away yesterday, I'll get the replacement device in about 5 days.

Last edited:

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Dropped my ZF4 right on the hinge and completely broke the device.
So HeY YALL! The sweat spot is the hinge. I knew when it sounded like a loud crack as the hinge made contact with laundry room floor ceramic tiling was game over!
So here's the update: I sent ZFLIP4 in for service, hinge and screen broken via Rogers Wireless device protection. Paid 140$ for repair, was sent a shipping label. They recieved it Feb 27th. Fixed and getting it back via UPS Mar.1st. When I got the device I didn't think to add any kind of extended warranty as i figured I didn't need it. As I take great care of all my devices it was a no brainer until I dropped it and broke the display and hinge. Rogers on occasion does open enrollment for their device protection monthly package. So I finally enrolled, waited a few days and put it in for repair. To repair costs 140$, to replace is 400$. When I got the device back today it was like brand new, they did an amazing repair.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe