New Contract vs Buying Outright

I_Am_Incredible

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay. I signed up with Sprint back in Nov 2009 and got the Hero(my first Android phone <3). When the EVO came around last year I didn't want to sign a new contract so I got the EVO off contract (traded in my Hero)..

I'm starting to think now that it actually may not make sense for me to get the phone off contract. If I get a new contract next month with the 3D the phone will cost $200 with $500 without (according to Radio Shack). I can get the EVO on contract and kill the contract whenever I want ($200 the most from Sprint) And still be $100 less than the full price of the phone.

This strategy may not make any sense with ATT or VZW with the $350 ETF. But Sprint's ETF is only $200.

Just a heads up for anything thinking about getting the phone off contract. I'm actually looking forward to checking out VZWs LTE network so I may switch at some point in the future.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if you may know the answer to this... I called Sprint today and was absolutely shocked to find out that they switched their 1 year upgrade policy for premiere customers. I got the Palm Pre in June 2009, then the Evo in June of 2010, so it was only appropriate to think I'd have no problem upgrading to the Evo 3D in June, (and I am talking about extending my 2 year contract to get the $200 new customer price). Yet, the rep told me that I'm not eligible for another upgrade until next April??? Have you heard anything about that? Thanks.

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Evo going rate on eBay: $250. Price off contact for Evo 3D: $500. Difference: $250. Contract price of Evo3D: $200. Difference: $50.

I for one like the idea of paying only $50 more to stay contract free.

toad6386

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if you may know the answer to this... I called Sprint today and was absolutely shocked to find out that they switched their 1 year upgrade policy for premiere customers. I got the Palm Pre in June 2009, then the Evo in June of 2010, so it was only appropriate to think I'd have no problem upgrading to the Evo 3D in June, (and I am talking about extending my 2 year contract to get the $200 new customer price). Yet, the rep told me that I'm not eligible for another upgrade until next April??? Have you heard anything about that? Thanks.

Boston - I've heard alot of talk of folks calling Sprint and getting the yearly thing done "one last time." But I've also heard that if you go to the sprint users forum, the mod there is a CSR with the power to reinstate your upgrade. I haven't done it, but I believe the information is reilable, and have seen an article on one of the android websites.

toad6386

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Evo going rate on eBay: $250. Price off contact for Evo 3D: $500. Difference: $250. Contract price of Evo3D: $200. Difference: $50.

I for one like the idea of paying only $50 more to stay contract free.

Ummm, I'm confused and can't follow the math :-\ From what I'm reading (and I where glasses for a reason), it looks like you're willing to pay $50 more for an older device to stay off contract? I'm probably missing something.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ummm, I'm confused and can't follow the math :-\ From what I'm reading (and I where glasses for a reason), it looks like you're willing to pay $50 more for an older device to stay off contract? I'm probably missing something.

Ah, I'm pretty sure where Telperion was going is that they currently own an EVO 4G and they can sell it for $250 on eBay and put that money towards a new EVO 3D for the off contract price of $500 and pay $250 out of pocked.

They were comparing this with the $200 price with a contract for the EVO 3D and came up with the $50 difference out of pocket.

Reactions: toad6386

RivKristopher

May 20, 2011
Visit site

A lot of Carriers are changing there 1 year contracts now, there pretty much obsolete with most company's. I didn't even know sprint had 1 year contracts still lol...

Are they tie only carrier now that has 1 year contracts still ?

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216413

toad6386

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I'm pretty sure where Telperion was going is that they currently own an EVO 4G and they can sell it for $250 on eBay and put that money towards a new EVO 3D for the off contract price of $500 and pay $250 out of pocked.

They were comparing this with the $200 price with a contract for the EVO 3D and came up with the $50 difference out of pocket.

I see says the blind man (told ya I wear glass for a reason :)). That makes MUCH better sense now. Unfortunately, I do not have an EVO to take to Ebay. Only a sad, cracked, little-multi-taskin', always hangin', too-many-card showin', suh-low peice-o-junk Palm Pre. :( Thanks, tho!

slab0meat

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
My ATT contract is up June 1st, and I've been waiting it out, making the move to Android from a BB.. and am going to either go with Sprint or Verizon at this stage.

That said, if I try Sprint but find the coverage isn't up to par when & where I need it to be, and I bought the phone off-contract, can it be returned for a full refund, or is some kind of restocking fee charged?

I keep wavering on what network to switch to, along with a contract or not..

Phljjs

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
My ATT contract is up June 1st, and I've been waiting it out, making the move to Android from a BB.. and am going to either go with Sprint or Verizon at this stage.

That said, if I try Sprint but find the coverage isn't up to par when & where I need it to be, and I bought the phone off-contract, can it be returned for a full refund, or is some kind of restocking fee charged?

I keep wavering on what network to switch to, along with a contract or not..

Sprint is offering a $125 service credit for porting your number to them. That's definitely nice. Almost 2 months of service for free.

I see your in Marlton, I'm right over the Tacony- Palmyra in Philly and get great coverage throughout the area.

Reactions: slab0meat