Question Pixel 6 problem - suddenly stopped playing videos, no audio

Mister Six

Mar 18, 2024
Visit site
Hi folks

I hope someone can answer, even if it is "it will cost X hundred to fix"!

I have a Pixel 6 which I've had from new on an EE contract.
There is a crack in the lower left of the screen (which may be the source of the issue, it's been there a few months).
Running Android 14, fully up to date.

A couple of days ago the phone suddenly stopped playing videos - in any app - and there was no audio at all, from any app, or any other source on the phone.
I tried my bluetooth headphones - still no audio.

I checked apps.
Deleted apps.
Restarted many times.
Tried safe mode.
Eventually I backed everything up and did a factory reset yesterday.

Still the same.

In apps such as Tik Tok is shows a still of the video and if I tap the screen twice to stop and start the video it moves to another frame from the video.
In YouTube and others it gets into a cycle of trying to start the video without any success. Sometimes there are green flashes.
I can't set up my banking app again because I can't record the security check video.

However, I can record a video with the phone and play it back fine.
I do get a "Can't record audio. Microphone is off or in use." message.

The fact I record videos is confusing!

Does anyone know if it's a hardware fault? Software fault?

Thanks for any help!

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
If you tried Restarting, tried Safe Mode and did a Factory Reset and the issue persists, you've done pretty much all you can and have to start looking at a possible repair / replacement in my opinion.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Looks like the pixel 6 has 2 microphone locations one at the top and other at the bottom and since you say the screen is broken lower left close to it is the bottom mic , don't know which one it uses for videos in apps but not like going need a repair like mentioned above , double check if those apps have permissions enabled for microphone

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen on both wi-fi and mobile data? If it only happens on wi-fi, have you tested it on multiple different wi-fi networks? Also, are you using a VPN? If the network you're accessing has a firewall (typically at school or work), or if you're using a VPN, that can cause problems with certain sites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter