HTC EVO 3D Approved with 800MHz ESMR Support

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I apologize if this is old news, but I found it very interesting for those of us with major signal issues!

HTC EVO 3D Approved with 800MHz ESMR Support (Phone Scoop)

posted Thursday, 9:26 PM by Eric M. Zeman

The Federal Communications Commission has approved the previously announced HTC EVO 3D for the Sprint network with an interesting and unannounced spec. The FCC has confirmed that the EVO 3D supports 800MHz CDMA in the ESMR band. The ESMR 800MHz band is what Sprint uses for its iDEN network. Sprint eventually plans to transition the ESMR band from iDEN to CDMA as part of its expansive network improvement initiative. Once that transition is complete and Sprint ports its voice services to the ESMR spectrum, the HTC EVO 3D will be able to make use of it. Sprint's main CDMA network operates in the 1900MHz PCS band.

Reactions: yourfriendmat

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Soooo, that means it should get even BETTER signal strength? Cuz i know when i had my 8350i, the DC got signal in places that the voice wouldnt...

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
800 MHz equals better building penetration :)

I live within sight of my tower and my cdma signal currently drops to near nothing inside my brick house, while on the other hand my Nextel that I also am forced to carry because of poor signal in my county/region has full signal. I have confirmed with network support that this is the correct tower and both signals are co-located on it.

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
That is VERY interesting, that band will be part of the new network Sprint is working on. The 800mhz is suppose to be used in buildings were wimax can penetrate.

DeCourseyyy

May 9, 2011
www.facebook.com
Sprint is actually working on a technology that will, in theory, allow them to switch services over all of their frequencies (600 MHz, 800MHz, 1900 MHz, and 2500MHz). Say you can only pick up the 600MHz frequency and are trying to browse the web. The technology would be able to flip WiMAX over to that 600MHz spectrum.

Good news for us.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
This is great news. I currently have to use RoamControl to force my phone to roam on Verizon's 850MHz signal in my office due to the unusable Sprint fringe signal.

This is my one and only beef with Sprint's service... all their phones will hang onto the slightest 1900MHz signal forever instead of rolling over to roaming. This is what leads to the common public perception that Sprint's service sucks.

If Sprint executes this well, I think it will result in huge subscriber gains in the long-term.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
This is great news. I currently have to use RoamControl to force my phone to roam on Verizon's 850MHz signal in my office due to the unusable Sprint fringe signal.

This is my one and only beef with Sprint's service... all their phones will hang onto the slightest 1900MHz signal forever instead of rolling over to roaming. This is what leads to the common public perception that Sprint's service sucks.

If Sprint executes this well, I think it will result in huge subscriber gains in the long-term.

At my desk I have an Airave unit that works great, except that I am in and out of the building all the time and the phone can't decide which signal to use. My iDEN Nextel has full bars while my Sprint CDMA has one. I have confirmed with network support that both signals are co-located on the same tower, so in theory, with the EVO 3D I should be able to enjoy full bars at my desk whenever they get around to upgrading that tower...

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if this is old news, but I found it very interesting for those of us with major signal issues!

HTC EVO 3D Approved with 800MHz ESMR Support (Phone Scoop)

posted Thursday, 9:26 PM by Eric M. Zeman

The Federal Communications Commission has approved the previously announced HTC EVO 3D for the Sprint network with an interesting and unannounced spec. The FCC has confirmed that the EVO 3D supports 800MHz CDMA in the ESMR band. The ESMR 800MHz band is what Sprint uses for its iDEN network. Sprint eventually plans to transition the ESMR band from iDEN to CDMA as part of its expansive network improvement initiative. Once that transition is complete and Sprint ports its voice services to the ESMR spectrum, the HTC EVO 3D will be able to make use of it. Sprint's main CDMA network operates in the 1900MHz PCS band.

You know how long Sprint has been trying to do this? Years. Its a useless feature on the 3D until the transition takes place. Sprint has said its going to cost $4-$5 billion dollars and always claim its coming. Your 3D will be obsolete before this ever happens, sorry.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You know how long Sprint has been trying to do this? Years. Its a useless feature on the 3D until the transition takes place. Sprint has said its going to cost $4-$5 billion dollars and always claim its coming. Your 3D will be obsolete before this ever happens, sorry.

I am really starting to believe now that you go around hating on the evo 3d. A phone is a damn phone, who cares what you and I or someone else has. Just be happy with what you have and I and others should be happy with what they have. It is a phone after all and it has nothing to do with how you life or behave in your life.

Please enjoy your nexus, seriously. Why is it that you have to pick on evo 3d in every statement you make.

The guy is merely trying to poing out a feature, and people are talking about it. Nothing negative is really needed in this thread.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
I am really starting to believe now that you go around hating on the evo 3d. A phone is a damn phone, who cares what you and I or someone else has. Just be happy with what you have and I and others should be happy with what they have. It is a phone after all and it has nothing to do with how you life or behave in your life.

Please enjoy your nexus, seriously. Why is it that you have to pick on evo 3d in every statement you make.

The guy is merely trying to poing out a feature, and people are talking about it. Nothing negative is really needed in this thread.

Stop acting like I am insulting a family member. Some people on here are excited about a feature that doesnt even exist yet and most likely wont for at least another year. I am not trying to be a jerk, simply stating that this feature is useless and not even worth getting excited about. Its not going to improve your reception or make this phone get a better signal than anything else until that transition happens and its still a ways off.

Taino

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Stop acting like I am insulting a family member. Some people on here are excited about a feature that doesnt even exist yet and most likely wont for at least another year. I am not trying to be a jerk, simply stating that this feature is useless and not even worth getting excited about. Its not going to improve your reception or make this phone get a better signal than anything else until that transition happens and its still a ways off.

Come on admit dude! you love the Evo 3D community! Can't stay away! LOL your new name FocusOn3D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45