SD Memory Card not reading

Warrenisit

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
So I just got my new EVO 4G LTE and switched the sd card from my og EVO 4G and it isn't reading it. It says that it's mounted and says how full it is but I can't access the apps or pics on it. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks a million for the help!

gikim1118

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Having the same problem. On Astro file manager, there is already a folder named "sdcard" and the actual SD card is named "sdcard2"

JD76ers

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Same problem here, photos I can access but doesnt show it on card same with music. Cannot access older apps and data from OG EVO

up7up

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
On astro file manager there is folder called ext_SD
Use this folder to access SD card.
Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

kevinsturf

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've also encountered this problem last night with mine. Make sure your USB isn't in because when it was in for me and I was using astro, it was showing me any files I transfered to my sd card but after I took out the USB and tried again, it showed up.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I though some how my SD card was formatted when installed becasue all my folders were different and many were missing! In ES File Exporer, you have to go into the settings and enable the "Up to Root" option. Then go up one level from /sdcard to / and there is a folder called "sdcard2." This is where all the old files are located.

Warrenisit

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so after I locate the files on the sd card how do I get my apps to show up regularly? I don't want to have to go into ES File Explorer every time I want to access an app.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so after I locate the files on the sd card how do I get my apps to show up regularly? I don't want to have to go into ES File Explorer every time I want to access an app.

You have to reinstall your apps from the Play Store. There's no way around this, unfortunatly. Apps installed to SD card does not mean you can move the SD card from device to device and the app will be there. It's just a way to keep the app data from not cunsuming space on the device. Good this is, when you go into the Play Store, under My Apps all of your previously installed apps should be listed there. Just go down the list and install them. There may be an app backup program out there, but I haven't used one. When rooted there is an app called Titanium Backup, which I know restores app and app data, but you have to have root access for this backup app to work.

midmadn

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
That's hogwash you can install the app you want from the sd card. Not saying it isn't better to go to market and install them from there but you can install them from the sd card.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Phoxhunter

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So I got mguysy new HTC EVO 4G today and I ran into the same problem as you guys on not being able to see the apps saved on the SD Memory Card.

If you go to the Settings-Storage-Storage Card Section-Make More Space. From there you able to see what?s on the card for everything except APPS and it seems APPS cannot be transferred over. It's also annoying to me that even when you redownload the APPS you cannot transfer them to the SD Card. You should be able to have the choice to do that. I guess the only thing you can put on the SD Storage are images and videos.

If I'm wrong i would gladly like to hearing suggestions

Warrenisit

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Alright, so it sounds like google play is the best source to reinstall apps but how about the pictures and music on the sd card?

Phoxhunter

May 25, 2012
Visit site
One of the major changes in ice cream sandwich is the concept of Universal Mass Storage, which means that phone data and app data share the same disk space. This means if you have 16GB for apps and data, not 1GB for apps and 15GGB for photos and Music.

SD card data is only for photos and music. NOT for apps.
Theoretically, you have 16GB for Apps and Data, but optionally you can have another 32 GB only for Data.

So it will not read any of the apps on the microSD card because Apps are supposed to be on internal storage.

To see get the picture on your SD Card go to the settings-Storage-Storage Card section-Make More Space. From there I?m able to see what?s on the card for everything except APPS and APPS cannot be transferred over.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
So one of the things with the SD card is that you have to modify your file explorer to allow you to go up from /sdcard. Once you go up to / your SD card content can be accessed from sdcard2. If your apps (apk's) are there then you should be able to reinstall from there. I wasn't aware that when you install an app to the SD card that the apk for the app remained there as well.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Since you cant put apps on or run apps off the SD card, whats the point of 32 or especially a 64 GB sd card? I feel like I wasted my time and money on a 32 GB SD coming from a 16 GB. But it was only $22 from amazon.

ladykushhh

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I removed my sd card from my htc evo and put it into an sanyo zio it asked me to format it and i pressed okay but in the process of it reformatting to the zio it said it would erase everything and as soon as I saw that I removed it then put it back in my evo and it said its "blank" total space is "unavailable" I mount it but it still says it's blank with 1.00 GB but my sd card is 8.00 GB
Every time it asks me to reformat it on my evo I can only do that if I delete everything included photos and music and well I definitely don't want to lose any of that :'(

Please Help !

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I removed my sd card from my htc evo and put it into an sanyo zio it asked me to format it and i pressed okay but in the process of it reformatting to the zio it said it would erase everything and as soon as I saw that I removed it then put it back in my evo and it said its "blank" total space is "unavailable" I mount it but it still says it's blank with 1.00 GB but my sd card is 8.00 GB
Every time it asks me to reformat it on my evo I can only do that if I delete everything included photos and music and well I definitely don't want to lose any of that :'(

Please Help !

Unfortunately you interrupted the format process and probably hosed the file allocation table in doing so. As a result, you can't read the card normally.

You can try recovery software to get the content back, but you won't be able to use the card normally again until you properly format the card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38