Evo 4g lte or samsung galaxy s3

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The screen is supposedly better on the LTEvo but I wonder by how much; plus the extra GB of RAM makes up for that. S-Voice means nothing. However, i have to see if the S3 addresses the radio issues present in several other Sammy phones.

In addition to the loss of the better screen and possibly better radios, you will also lose the kickstand, the dedicated camera button, better case (aluminum), standard MHL cable compatibility, Beats audio, and possibly Sprint HD Voice (not sure if the last two will matter much, hard to know).

In most ways, the phones are very evenly matched- same CPU/GPU/chipset, same resolution, nearly same screen size, very similar form factor, etc. As for the HTC flavor of "multitasking" turning into "task switching"- many people don't seem to care, as long as it doesn't lose their place. Might get fixed, might not. It is certainly the most controversial and problematic design choice issues with both the Evo LTE and the One X series.

Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. Sometimes it isn't. Often, you don't know either way until it is too late to have a choice.

MaxMingus

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to wait until they're both in the store and I can play with them both side by side. I'm leaning toward the S3 though for two reasons:

1. Removable battery. There's nothing like having a fresh battery with you in case you run your phone down. Also, your battery life will get shorter the longer you own the phone. Sure it lasts all day now, but what's it going to be like in 18 months?.

2. It's the exact same phone on all the major carriers. That means you'll have a much wider choice of custom roms and the rest going forward.

My biggest concern about the Sammy is the screen brightness b/c I like to use my phone as a GPS. Judging by the video, it looks like they've improved on their crappy radios, so that's not longer an issue (GPS lock on my GS1 (Vibrant) is deplorable.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Removable battery. There's nothing like having a fresh battery with you in case you run your phone down.

Yes there is, it is called an external battery... and you can plug it in without shutting the phone down and booting it back up again. And it can hold much more charge than a typical battery. Of course, it is a tether situation (the main drawback). With the Evo LTE (or SIII for that matter), the battery life is already crazy good. I would only carry a battery for emergency use while motorcycle riding or camping or something. I have two... one is so small, it is lighter and smaller than a typical internal phone battery. The other is half the size of a phone, but twice as thick and has almost triple the battery capacity of a phone.

* Plus it can be used to power and/or charge any other USB device- tablet, headset, flashlight, etc.

* Plus it, itself, can be charged by a computer, tablet, car charger, wall power.

* Plus it actually costs less than an OEM or quality replacement internal battery.

* Plus since it is such a high capacity, it is more likely to have more than enough charge even if not touched for months (batteries discharge even with no use).

* Plus you can check the battery status/capacity without it plugged into anything.

It is not necessarily the PERFECT solution for all people, but as you can see, an external battery actually has different advantages.

Also, your battery life will get shorter the longer you own the phone. Sure it lasts all day now, but what's it going to be like in 18 months?

That is when you pop off the antenna/SD cover, the bottom little cover, remove two scews and replace the battery in the Evo LTE by unplugging and replugging in the the cable/connector on the cord. Videos have already been posted. Looks like maybe 5 minutes.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So went to best buy to return my LTE for a new one and also decided to pre order the s3. I've had the og, 3d and now LTE from launch so HTC is all I've owned last few years. This phone is bad ass but there's a few things that I just can't stand like multitasking. If you can even call it that. I just can't understand why HTC would do this???? To make even worse they don't recognize it as a problem. I really do enjoy this phone but it has to many short comings and is the reason why I will be returning this on the 21st to give the s3 a "chance". I've been reading a lot on temp fixes for example to fix the HTC reloads use nova launcher. The reason why I and most people bought and keep buying HTC phones is we like sense and they're widgets compared to Sammy and they're touch wiz and moto blur. You use any other launcher and say good buy to sense widgets and if that's the case if I would prefer it on a phone with more power like 2gigs of ram that would more than likely woop bloaty sense into shape. Probably would fix multitasking too. And yes I said fix sorry HTC but what you did with this EVO is not multitasking.
I think you suffer from to many goodies the phone will be updated as you know and sammy phone hmm you know there track record with updates

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I switched today and I have to be honest...I far prefer the S3.

It's lighter..or at least feels so

Really appreciate the rounded corners as it's easier to hold.

I know nobody will believe this but while the EVO screen was beautifully clear, this one simply excels to my photographers eyes due to the black levels and it's just more alive. The pentile issue is an totally non issue.

WIFI, especially on 5ghz is much faster than it was on the HTC

Phone signal strength looking at the streenght numbers is identical.

3G is just as fast as the EVO was and I found that to be better than any other android phone I had previously.

Inside my brick office building, GPS locks within 5 seconds and is instantly at a 9 foot level with 12 sats active.

The EVO was nice when it worked (I had issues) and the screen was beautiful but this one just seems so much more alive to me...and I realize it's all about personal preferences.

Extremely happy with my decision....doesn't mean you would be.

evopg12

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Evo 4g lte for sure,not even considering the sgs3,this evo in my opinion is the best phone on the market.just wish i had .4glte in my area(shepherdsville,ky).does anyone know if this phone is getting any updates anytime soon?:D

Reactions: Mercury81

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Uh...you sure about that - because most evidence points to the EVO having a far superior wifi experience?

Just curious - haven't had my hands on a stateside Galaxy S 3 - but have had nothing but good experiences with the EVO LTE on wifi

Jack

Absolutely positive based on my experience of using both. The S3 WIFI flies whether on 2.4 or 5 connections. Pages simply p[op open rather than loading a lot of the time and that's whether using stock Boat or Dolphin. The EVO, at least in my house, my offfice and in the airports I fly in and out of was slower and constantly stuttered on me, frequently getting "stuck" when trying to lad a page.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If you are convincing yourself either of these phones is the best on the market simply due to what you're reading, you are cheating yourself.

To me, other than the EVO being metal and the S3 being polycarbonate, (quote honestly I prefer the shape and feeling of the S3 in the hand), there are pluses and minuses and neither of these phones wins across the board.

I have picky eyes and I can tell you the S3 screen is real use is every bit as good as the EVO LTE (with being is bright sunlight being the advantage on the EVO) and has more pleasing contrast / colors to my eyes. If you're a fanboy on either side, I know you'll never even look to prove it to yourself but coming from a photographer, that's my take at least.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I pre ordered the evo today. People keep telling me to wait for the Galaxy s3 for sprint which I'm currently on. Should I wait for the Galaxy s3 or get the evo?

Why are people advising you to wait for the S3? Why do they KEEP telling you to wait?
Any specific reasons?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Guys the phones perform very silimarly...it comes down to features and preference. The fact of the matter is, you can't go wrong with either device . Its not like last year if u picked an Evo 3d over a galaxy s2 where a midget would come out and punch you in the box then point and laugh at you.

Jack

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
There are many tests and reviews using standard color charts that show an IPS screen to be more color accurate than the over saturated AMOLED/SAMOLED screen. This photographer prefers the color accuracy and sharpness of the IPS screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfm

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
There are many tests and reviews using standard color charts that show an IPS screen to be more color accurate than the over saturated AMOLED/SAMOLED screen. This photographer prefers the color accuracy and sharpness of the IPS screen.

I have not seen a single review or article that shows the SIII's screen is as good or better than the Evo LTE/One X in ANY criteria (sharpness, brightness, contrast, color, anything). Quite the opposite. Almost all of them say the IPS screen is significantly better in *every* respect. I admit I have not seen them side-by-side, but many are reviewers that I trust, and I have seen blowup photographs of the actual screens and from what I can tell, I agree.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree as well, although my reference is to the sg2 screen. Looking at the amoled or samoled screens, the color just seems to bleed/pour out of it.

Looking at my evolte it just seems like the colors are more true to life. The clarity is fantastic and its a delight to look at.

That said...I still love the fact that we can argue and compare these two great devices. Sprint has brought us some great choices and while i like the htc evo lte, the gs3 is a great alternative for people who may not dig htc the way i do.

Bottom line i think that htc makes Samsung better and Samsung makes htc better because they force each other to push for greatness in a phone. So whether you choose htc or Samsung i think you'll get a awesome phone. jmo

nathy321

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree as well, although my reference is to the sg2 screen. Looking at the amoled or samoled screens, the color just seems to bleed/pour out of it.

Looking at my evolte it just seems like the colors are more true to life. The clarity is fantastic and its a delight to look at.

That said...I still love the fact that we can argue and compare these two great devices. Sprint has brought us some great choices and while i like the htc evo lte, the gs3 is a great alternative for people who may not dig htc the way i do.

Bottom line i think that htc makes Samsung better and Samsung makes htc better because they force each other to push for greatness in a phone. So whether you choose htc or Samsung i think you'll get a awesome phone. jmo

Well said :)

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I'll pass on the Samsung phones since they don't even do ota updates, you need to connect to a computer Apple and Wp7 style.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s