READ BEFORE U DO A factory reset

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
This is interesting info (not sure why you didn't post a link instead of a bunch of photos, though). It is pretty amazing that part of the "restore factory defaults" doesn't just AUTOMATICALLY do what is necessary in the Wallet app first to prevent problems. Can't be that complicated, and this is going to cause all kinds of support problems for them. At least it can be fixed with software updates, if they choose...

Jackson Galaxy

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Clear Google wallet before performing a factory reset, thanks. I did that along with uninstalling the newest update. I'd hate to lose the NFC security because of this.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
That's not quite right.

I've factory reset my Nexus phones hundreds of times, and never once cleared data from Google Wallet. It still works fine.

If the EVO is like the Nexus phones with wallet (pretty sure it is) the only way to brick the secure element is to change the device ID. Normal users can't do this on purpose, because the file you'd need to change is read only. If you're rooted, your device is not supported and anything can happen -- which is the vast majority of people with issues.

We're asking some questions trying to figure out if there is really an issue for un-rooted users, and if so what the response from Google/HTC/Sprint is.

tl;dr -- it doesn't hurt to do it, but this isn't the whole story.

Reactions: Hurleygm and crxssi

Westfire

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
That's not quite right.

I've factory reset my Nexus phones hundreds of times, and never once cleared data from Google Wallet. It still works fine.

If the EVO is like the Nexus phones with wallet (pretty sure it is) the only way to brick the secure element is to change the device ID. Normal users can't do this on purpose, because the file you'd need to change is read only. If you're rooted, your device is not supported and anything can happen -- which is the vast majority of people with issues.

We're asking some questions trying to figure out if there is really an issue for un-rooted users, and if so what the response from Google/HTC/Sprint is.

tl;dr -- it doesn't hurt to do it, but this isn't the whole story.

Jerry, I rooted my LTE and went to reset GW so I could unlock and flash a recovery. GW hung at 99% for over 5 minutes and then shutdown. When I launched it again is when I got the secure element is not responding message. Should we be unlocking and flashing first before we even set up GW for the fire time?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87